Options

Had a email today from bbc about bbc HD

Rd100Rd100 Posts: 1,649
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Had a email today from bbc about bbc HD, Here it is below

Thank you for contacting the BBC with your enquiry.

We have not got a launch date yet for the HD trial. Keep checking
http://www.bbc.co.uk/digital/tv/hdtv.shtml for updates. What I can answer
at this stage is that we will be transmitting MPEG4 DVB-S moving to DVB-S2.

Just like our other satellite broadcasts, the BBC HD trial stream will not
be encrypted, so open standard HD satellite receivers may be able to pick
it up. You need to understand that the BBC's HD trial is due to end after
12 months and such boxes may not receive the full range of on-screen
programme information and interactivity.

I hope you find the information helpful.

Kind Regards

Steven Derrick
BBC Reception Advice

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm... thought DVB-S was always MPEG2 according to the standard? Interesting mixture... I guess there's no technical reason why you couldn't make a hybrid of course.
  • Options
    bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, there are a few stations "up there" testing MPEG4 with DVB-S - guess until chips and stuff arrive, that hybrid will last.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    OMG WTF BBQ!!!!!! They said May 15th!!!!
  • Options
    maccymaccy Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    hdmad wrote:
    OMG WTF BBQ!!!!!! They said May 15th!!!!

I wouldn't get too het up about it. BBC Reception aren't the most clued up of departments. I asked them whether there was any possibility of BBC3 and BBC4 being added to the ROI EPG - they said as my enquiry was about Sky I should contact them!!!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maccy wrote:
    I wouldn't get too het up about it. BBC Reception aren't the most clued up of departments. I asked them whether there was any possibility of BBC3 and BBC4 being added to the ROI EPG - they said as my enquiry was about Sky I should contact them!!!! :rolleyes:

they weren't wrong.

Sky handle the placement of BBC channels on the ROI EPG, not the BBC. Sky pay the BBC a per-channel charge for channels listed on the ROI EPG and they don't believe theres any demand for 3/4/News/Parliament/CBBC/CBeebies or the radio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KianD wrote:
    they weren't wrong.

Sky handle the placement of BBC channels on the ROI EPG, not the BBC. Sky pay the BBC a per-channel charge for channels listed on the ROI EPG and they don't believe theres any demand for 3/4/News/Parliament/CBBC/CBeebies or the radio.

They were wrong.

It is up to the BBC to pay Sky for EPG carriage of other channels in addition to BBC1 and BBC2 NI. They haven't yet done so....therefore Sky aren't obliged to do anything until they get paid.

Thus its a BBC issue.
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC pay Sky for inclusion in their proprietary _EPG_.

The BBC and Sky pay SES Astra for carriage of their respective channels.

Sky don't "carry" anything.

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2Bdecided wrote:
    The BBC pay Sky for inclusion in their proprietary _EPG_.

The BBC and Sky pay SES Astra for carriage of their respective channels.

Sky don't "carry" anything.

Cheers,
    David.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear - I was referring to EPG carriage. I've amended my original post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maccy wrote:
    They were wrong.

It is up to the BBC to pay Sky for EPG carriage of other channels in addition to BBC1 and BBC2 NI. They haven't yet done so....therefore Sky aren't obliged to do anything until they get paid.

Thus its a BBC issue.

Wrong again.

Sky pay for the BBC channels to be carried on the EPG in Ireland. Not the other way around. If Sky weren't paying there'd be no BBC1 or 2 either.

The BBC will not pay for ANY of the channels to be carried nor will they let Sky put them on without paying them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KianD wrote:
    Wrong again.

Sky pay for the BBC channels to be carried on the EPG in Ireland. Not the other way around. If Sky weren't paying there'd be no BBC1 or 2 either.

The BBC will not pay for ANY of the channels to be carried nor will they let Sky put them on without paying them.

I wasn't aware that was the case, so thanks for the clarification. I thought all broadcasters had to pay Sky for an EPG entry. It would have been nice of the BBC to explain the situation, of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maccy wrote:
    I wasn't aware that was the case, so thanks for the clarification. I thought all broadcasters had to pay Sky for an EPG entry. It would have been nice of the BBC to explain the situation, of course.

Anybody that Sky really wants gets paid, so thats most of the encrypted channels, and the BBC in Ireland.

RTE's setup is that they don't pay anything at all - even satellite carraige costs - although they don't get paid anything either. Anyone important enough can cut a deal.