Options

Rock still Rules over Rap

SeSoRSeSoR Posts: 34
Forum Member
yeh sure you can say youth like rap nowadays but in sales, rock prevails.
Coldplays (slow rock) was the best seller of the year WORLDWIDE.
although rap is the main key, there songs get old in 2 weeks. Rock songs live on forever like Sweet Child O' Mine & Sgt Peppers Lonely Heart club band etc..

Discuss people!!

Comments

• Options
    timeytimey Posts: 19,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It always will. Rap is tuneless rubbish. The best rock songs are much more enduring.
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rap is tunesless rubbish but Coldplay should NEVER be used as a barometer for ANYTHING.

Shouldn't this be in Music Forum??
  • Options
    SeSoRSeSoR Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Guns N' Roses Rule
  • Options
    trash80trash80 Posts: 21,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh i dunno, a lot of rap is timeless too, like sugarhill gang, grandmaster flash, ll cool j
  • Options
    timeytimey Posts: 19,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tel69 wrote:
    Rap is tunesless rubbish but Coldplay should NEVER be used as a barometer for ANYTHING.

Shouldn't this be in Music Forum??
    To be fair, I didn't use them. I've never actually heard any Coldplay, TBH.
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SeSoR wrote:
    yeh sure you can say youth like rap nowadays but in sales, rock prevails.
    Coldplays (slow rock) was the best seller of the year WORLDWIDE.
    although rap is the main key, there songs get old in 2 weeks. Rock songs live on forever like Sweet Child O' Mine & Sgt Peppers Lonely Heart club band etc..

Discuss people!!

Coldplay were kept off the top spot by crazy frog - therefore amphibian based music beats rock :rolleyes:

Rap/ Hip Hop is the most dominant form of music on the planet IMO - I would love to see some stats but untill then this thread is simply a case of I think rap music is rubbish what do you think?

Fight the power, white lines, south bronx etc will never get old

nether will most of BDP, Ice-T, Ultramagnetic MCs, Digital Underground etc - stupid argument
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, well I'd say rap is mostly crap, but stuff that's also popular like Coldplay, Travis, etc is soporific and unoriginal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coldplay were kept off the top spot by crazy frog - therefore amphibian based music beats rock :rolleyes:

Rap/ Hip Hop is the most dominant form of music on the planet IMO - I would love to see some stats but untill then this thread is simply a case of I think rap music is rubbish what do you think?

Fight the power, white lines, south bronx etc will never get old

nether will most of BDP, Ice-T, Ultramagnetic MCs, Digital Underground etc - stupid argument

To get a proper opinion of whether rap music is truly banal, we should ask highly talented musicians. I predict that the majority would say 'yes, it is' ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hathor wrote:
    To get a proper opinion of whether rap music is truly banal, we should ask highly talented musicians. I predict that the majority would say 'yes, it is' ;)

Really? I totally disagree 100%

what are you basing this on?

By the way I stopped religiously listening to rap music in the mid 90s I am a total indie 'kid' now, (however I do still listen to loads of stuff from my childhood - Stetsasonic, NWA, 3rd Bass, Beastie Boys etc)

I'm not biased but most of the posts here don't seem to be based on anything

'well I'd say rap is mostly crap'

well brilliant - whoppee do!

Your point being?
  • Options
    Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rap isn't even music. Are you telling me the *Rap music is in the same class as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix? Heck NO.
    No one will have heard of any of the rap artists in 20 years but The Beatles, Rolling Stones will still have their music played and still be discussed as truly great rock acts.
    Rap is by people with music taste by artists who cannot sing. And a majority of the people who listen to it would not know good taste if it dropped on them from 50 feet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    funny, the soup dragons were one of the first to mix rock and rap
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one will have heard of any of the rap artists in 20 years

I disagree profoundly with that statement :cool: :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,292
    Forum Member
    trash80 wrote:
    funny, the soup dragons were one of the first to mix rock and rap
    nah, that was Blondie with her eating cars nonsense wasn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one of the first doesn't mean they were the first, it just means they were... er... one of the first :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    trash80 wrote:
    one of the first doesn't mean they were the first, it just means they were... er... one of the first :rolleyes:
    well...errr... I take it back then. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyway rap artists won't be known in 20 years? we already have some names that are still known now after 20 years so i don't see why that won't continue
  • Options
    lordoftheflieslordoftheflies Posts: 7,879
    Forum Member
    One man's rubbish is another man's treasure.

While I don't like many rap artist's lyrics, I recognise that a lot of what they say comes from the heart. I also think its better that they channel what they have to say through music rather than more negative processes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abzolve wrote:
    I disagree profoundly with that statement :cool: :p

Me too riduculous!

For a start are you telling me you haven't heard of Run DMC, Beastie Boys, LL Cool J

all around 20 years ago.

Don't forget Rap music is relatively young but even the first 'stars' are still talked about now - melle mel, grandmaster flash, UTFO

So yes rap will still be around in 50 years and those people who pioneered it will still be talked about it

'People still takin' rappin' for a joke
    A passing hope or a phase with a rope'

KRS-ONE said that about 20 years ago - still true today.

A more pertinant questioin is whether a rap star will be as big as a rock star? But will anyone be as big or as influential as the beatles? Prob not so not a fair comparison
  • Options
    NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally i think RnB rules over both :p

Rap is great by the way, I like it but i also don't mind a bit of rock..you can't compare the two really
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have never really liked rap music. Each to their own of course. One notable exception being 'The Message' by Grand Master Flash. A classic IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not biased but most of the posts here don't seem to be based on anything

'well I'd say rap is mostly crap'

well brilliant - whoppee do!

Your point being?

It's based on culture and good taste :p;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rap isn't even music. Are you telling me the *Rap music is in the same class as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix? Heck NO.

I'll add Pink Floyd, Queen, Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Chopin, and a few others to your list :)

Eminently more talented than any rap artist will ever be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hathor wrote:
    I'll add Pink Floyd, Queen, Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Chopin, and a few others to your list :)

Eminently more talented than any rap artist will ever be.
    in your opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ROFL, whatever :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hathor wrote:
    It's based on culture and good taste :p;)

I like yoghurt