Options

Talk talk broadband

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
Forum Member
Anyone thinking of going across to this free broadband?

I just checked all my BT bills and reckon I would be £20+ per month better off but do not know what Talk Talk contention ratios are. Doesn't appear to give any message to this affect.

Could this be one of bouldriks ('scuse spelling :D ) plans??

Anyone got any experience with talk talk broadband?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    I'm keeping my eye on what's happening. I expect talk talk won't be the only company offering this service soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    BT did mention some time ago about being free in the future but I refuse to trade up from my lowly 1mb (couldn't get 2mb) and only get 3mb max if I did trade up. Then charge me £2 pm extra because I was on a BTbroadband contract and not a Yahoo one.

I think as you say, 'play the waiting game for now'.
  • Options
    thetoaster3thetoaster3 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cherkhan wrote:
    BT did mention some time ago about being free in the future but I refuse to trade up from my lowly 1mb (couldn't get 2mb) and only get 3mb max if I did trade up. Then charge me £2 pm extra because I was on a BTbroadband contract and not a Yahoo one.

I think as you say, 'play the waiting game for now'.
    So am I! :D
  • Options
    HooloovooHooloovoo Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't touch anything to do with Car Phone Warehouse even if they paid me to use it.
  • Options
    BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The contention will be the same as any other residential ADSL service at 50:1, but remember that is just the maximum number of people sharing the connection at the exchange, not the number of people sharing TalkTalks limited infrastructure.

I've experienced TalkTalks poor broadband service, it was shite when I was paying for it, this was when there weren't many people on their service, now it's going to be free and many people on the service it has to be worse than shite.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Hi Bextech, was contemplating this Talk Talk offer, but Mr Common Sense prevailed, as the saying goes, if something seems to good to be true, then it probably is ..... so I will not be going down that route, you get what you pays for PERIOD !!, so will stay with F2S, which has been very reliabl.. 8888&^%%$ ;-)

Regards
    Alan
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Anyone currently on talktalk? what do they think?would you reccomend the service you receive
  • Options
    BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take a read of: http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=talktalk

I've been with them, never again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cheers mate came on this forum first and been reading your posts on other one and im gonna stay with mine at the moment as they cant get until july anyway and il see if anyone else competes with TalkTalk in the mean time
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been with TalkTalk, trust me, you need to stay as far away from them as possible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    I for one have always had the download speeds I paid for. Traffic shaping is an enormous pain in the backside, but is fair under the terms and conditions.

I am not defending them, as I know they can be dire, but I for one have been happy so far. Lucky I guess (oh, and my Philips DVDR70 works perfectly!!!)
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    carphone warehouse bought out onetel (and believe me their customer service was DIRE) although the service was OK. I believe talk talk broadband as bad as it is combined with crappy customer service and your just asking for trouble if you even entertain their apparent free broadband offer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    talk talk have a hidden £2 charge for technical help.

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/servlet/gben-server-PageServer?article=MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.BLOG.1.003

so far I have only seen details of this charge in dunstone's online blog.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JSemple3 wrote:
    carphone warehouse bought out onetel (and believe me their customer service was DIRE) although the service was OK. I believe talk talk broadband as bad as it is combined with crappy customer service and your just asking for trouble if you even entertain their apparent free broadband offer.
    You don't actually know that though. :rolleyes:

If the service proves to be bad, then please let everyone know. It's not really fair to assume until it has been tried. Has anyone actually started using the service yet?
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    You don't actually know that though. :rolleyes:

If the service proves to be bad, then please let everyone know. It's not really fair to assume until it has been tried. Has anyone actually started using the service yet?

Ah BUT I do know reading adslguide and other forums how talk talk throttle stuff like P2P and so on and billing issues. Peeved a lot of people off.

Onetel's service (while I was with them) was good I mean the broadband virtually faultless but customer service was extremley poor (had to threaten legal action to get out of my contract)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thats fair, cos packet shaping is well documented (and not to be unexpected, if you read the fair usage policy)

I don't believe any other ISP can guarantee never to do the same (or those that don't have low download caps)

I mean't that you can't say for sure that the service will be poor, just cos it is free. They said that about free dialup ISP's many years ago (i.e. Freeserve).

I have switched from 'standard' TTBB to the new free scheme, cos even though I won't ever expect to get LLU in my village, even paying £10 for BB is cheaper than my existing package.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JSemple3 wrote:
    Ah BUT I do know reading adslguide and other forums how talk talk throttle stuff like P2P and so on and billing issues. Peeved a lot of people off.
    Could be worse. One of the main reasons Telewest's broadband service went to hell in a lot of areas is precisely because they don't restrict P2P usage or impose download limits.
    Following their speed upgrades, there was a massive increase in P2P downloading, leading to widespread utilisation issues, many of which are still unresolved.
    I think a sensible limit (as opposed to a ban) on P2P is a reasonable workaround.