Bradford Riots

LennieLennie Posts: 25,356
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Who watched it just now on Ch4 - it started at 9pm

I thought it was good showing us the reconstruction of the whole thing and how Karim got done for it

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    I watched it. I thought it was good to show it from a different perspective than that of the newspapers who only like to show news in the worst way possible.
  • The_Grand_WazooThe_Grand_Wazoo Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soapsuds wrote:
    I watched it. I thought it was good to show it from a different perspective than that of the newspapers who only like to show news in the worst way possible.

Eh? Are you suggesting this programme showed riots in a good way?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Eh? Are you suggesting this programme showed riots in a good way?

No rioting is bad full stop.

What I meant was that the media showed it as the youths starting a riot even though the NF march was cancelled. What the programme showed was that the NFs were actually around that day, and at times, when the asian youths needed help, the police weren't very helpful.

There was just more to that day then what th emedia portrayed to the nation.
  • LennieLennie Posts: 25,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with soapsuds
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soapsuds wrote:

What I meant was that the media showed it as the youths starting a riot even though the NF march was cancelled. What the programme showed was that the NFs were actually around that day, and at times, when the asian youths needed help, the police weren't very helpful.

Of course, but we have no idea whether this version represents the truth either.
  • pokemasterpokemaster Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the bloke that got sent down for throwing stones was out of an old show i used to watch called "Out Of Sight", where he and the main character could turn invisable when they sprayed themselves with this sort of spray.

anyone remember that??? it was nice seeing him grown up :-)

anybody got any out of sight things to watch or download??

~ pokemaster
  • MaxCherryMaxCherry Posts: 9,013
    Forum Member
    I couldnt believe it when he got 5 years at the end. Wonder what happened to the brother?

Did anyone else notice that his cell mate at the end was one of the Domonic Noonans scallys off "Gangster". :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lad that played Karim was my ex husbands nephew, God knows how I recognised him after 10 years!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    nice how they blamed the nf for starting the riots when it was the asians fault typical media trick :mad:
    Forum Member
    butiaboy wrote:
    nice how they blamed the nf for starting the riots when it was the asians fault typical media trick :mad:

If the NF werent there, there would have been no problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    MaxCherry wrote:
    If the NF werent there, there would have been no problem.

the nf/bnp have the right to march protest down any street and if the ethnic's dont like it tough :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    Yeah because the NF have such a good track record for peaceful protests don’t they.

And if you think its just ethnics who object to NF marches, then you are very wrong.
  • Nine Bob NoteNine Bob Note Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww, bless the nazis! No one will give them a chance, will they? :(

Well, Chamberlain and Stalin both did, but the less said about that the better :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soapsuds wrote:

Of course, but we have no idea whether this version represents the truth either.

I didn't watch this, but I have to point out that there was a lot of fiction in this drama as covered in the Radio Times article on Thursday's Choices page. Dramatic productions will always meddle with the truth, as does Hollywood, to match an agenda or just to sensationalise.
    Forum Member
    butiaboy wrote:
    the nf/bnp have the right to march protest down any street and if the ethnic's dont like it tough :mad:

Thats exactly the kind of attitude that is keeping racial divides alive in this country. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    butiaboy wrote:

Yeah and the ethnic people have a right to protest as well!!!!!!!!

Sorry if I ever get defensive here - but the BNP really get on my bloody nerves. But at least most people have the sense not to vote for them - they only have 44 seats out of 22,000 :D
  • BigMommaBigMomma Posts: 14,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    faz1989 wrote:
    But at least most people have the sense not to vote for them - they only have 44 seats out of 22,000 :D
    44 seats too m,any the. People should read party's manifestos not just the headlines :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MaxCherry wrote:
    Thats exactly the kind of attitude that is keeping racial divides alive in this country. :(

If you silence the BNP or stop their right to protest they will simply claim they are being denied human rights and the right to free speech and political expression. They would be right of course. These fascists are a tiny minority and their ideas are so way off the mark they can be easily shot down.

Banning the freedom of individuals because you don't like their views IS fascism.
  • pokemasterpokemaster Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MaxCherry wrote:
    Did anyone else notice that his cell mate at the end was one of the Domonic Noonans scallys off "Gangster". :)

He was also in waterloo road. As the evil Lewis.

~ pokemaster
    Forum Member
    pokemaster wrote:
    He was also in waterloo road. As the evil Lewis.

~ pokemaster

This guy actually went to my school. I've never heard of Waterloo Road? Is it new?
  • Numero OneNumero One Posts: 2,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it, and the sentencing that was revealed at the end was quite shocking - it highlighted the racist portrayal of the criminal justice/judicial system.

A few glitches, though (and the same goes with most factual C4 dramas) - a lot of the clothes they wore were so not 2001. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    butiaboy wrote:

It was the NF/BNP's fault- because they exist. And they exist purely to incite fear and hatred and violence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was quite a poor programme actually-too sympathetic to the rioters. I love the way all of the Police were portrayed as being white...how likely is that given the area it happened in?!?! I would have like to know what REALLY happened from all sides...why hash it into a drama when a documentary would have been far more informative?
  • xflarexflare Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really was one of the most biased pieces of television ever though. Ina simialar vane to another Channel 4 "drama" the Road to Gunatanamo.

Channel 4 seem obsessed with Muslim/Islamic issues.
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,757
    Forum Member
    I thought it was quite a poor programme actually-too sympathetic to the rioters. I love the way all of the Police were portrayed as being white...how likely is that given the area it happened in?!?! I would have like to know what REALLY happened from all sides...why hash it into a drama when a documentary would have been far more informative?

Very likely, I live in Batley and I've hardly ever seen an Asian police officer, why should Bradford be any different ? I doubt that the West Yorkshire Police Force has a high number of Asian officers..