Options

BBC High Definition Multiplex on air now!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    tellytart1 wrote:
    I must admit, even though the PC I'm using still stutters slighty - after watching some of the matches on our lovely true-hd 47" LCD screen (Don't you love working for a broadcaster!!), I'm in love with HD!

TT check your PM
  • Options
    tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the downside, on HD, the upconverted SD stuff looks absolutely awful at HD resolution, and watching on SD analogue, the SD stuff upconverted to HD for the programme and downconverted to SD again for TX also looks abysmal too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The latest WinFastDTV beta now supports H.264:

http://tw1965.myweb.hinet.net/WinFastDTV_setup_20188.zip

It can work with any BDA device but you have to run this registry patch for non LeadTek cards.

http://tw1965.myweb.hinet.net/WinFastDTV.zip

[or edit your BDA drives inf file]

The latestest DC-DVB Source beta is also working well but

you have to manually set the resolution for decoders without mediatype detection

[CoreAVC, MainConcept / Elecard etc]

BTW, some feedback from Pentium D users on the VSS3 beta would be nice.

Enjoy the match...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Nick i'll try the Winfast app again. Last outing i tried was v20186 and then v20187 both for SD. They would not let anything but its own codec to be used. Even after i lowered it merits to zero. I had tried normal ones such as Intervideo and i think the other was was Nvidia decoder. Even using forced registry settings of 1 and 6 for the previous failed to find decoders. Early version of WinFastDTV pre v20186 worked fine, the version number i don't recall.

Another bug that exists with many programs is they don't parse the EPG correctly.

For example:
    Music: Another Band gig.ts

This wont record because of the period : after Music:. WinFastDTV is not alone having this bug, other DVB softwares have the same bug. If planning to use WinFastDTV, making sure the decoder is there, usable and working. When recording watch out for the : period bug, that will record a Zero file size only.
  • Options
    camajcamaj Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else having real problem with the football yesterday? I got no playback at one point and next to nothing during the germany game. At one stage the bittrate reader was 40mb/s! This was when it was completly frozen.

Going back to the BBC HD preview was better but not by much
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Bear72 wrote:
    I had no luck getting DVBViewer to work with the Black Gold tuner (although they both work fine in MCE). I bought a Hauppage Nova-T USB stick and it works fine with DVBViewer.

Although I am using a dual core AMD 4400 X2 I am getting stuttering video. So close.....

Any opinions on stick vs. box for the Nova-T USB receiver?

The stick is cheaper (except at PC World!) and claims a 'sensitive' receiver, and I assume is newer. But I've also read they run very hot and prone to failure after a few weeks of heavy use. Comments?

On the physical side, there's a stick with a coax connected. Does it actually hang onto the USB socket or fall out?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    From reading earlier posts, the desirable version is 36MB and dated late May.

The trail download *was* this desirable version but the paid-for version was 1st May and 32.4 MB

(I'm not sure what the later version does that the arlier ones doesn't... anyone?)

Looks like bad news. Now both the trial and the paid-for version are the same, but the older 32.4 MB version. Beware!

Grandmother/eggs I expect, but if you're going to buy, search out the Upgrade link.

The full product is $69. They will sell you an upgrade from an *OEM* V5 for $39, and from an OEM V6 for $29.

So my OEM v6, 2ch, which I paid £1.99 for when I bought a dvd drive, saves me $40 :-))
  • Options
    ukpukp Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Is there anyone with a pentium d, nvidia 6xxxx, dvbviewer and coreavc here? I have tried this combination and the picture quality is worse than the cyberlink one. I just wonder if those having success are using the same sort of setup as myself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I'm glad I'm able to watch and record the England game here in the USA. They broadcast in MPEG-2 here.

The only difference is that they brodcast in 1280x720p instead of 1920x1080i. It still looks good though.

I could upload a sample if you're interested in comparison.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see an MPEG2 sample to compare it.

BTW, the latest build of DC-DVB now had automatic resolution and aspect ratio detection:

http://forum.dsp-worx.de/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=126

You still have to set overlay mode manually by editing in the dvb file though.

Cheers,
    Nick
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here is the link.

It's the Beckham goal in the early part of the game.

http://rapidshare.de/files/22727712/beckham.ts.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hi all,
    For those people interested in trying out a new viewer can I suggest the free and simple DigitalWatchII. Its still in Beta but is looking promising and should have support for H264 (if you have an appropriate decoder). I can play the example transport streams with it. You do need BDA drivers for your card though.

Anyway if you fancy a look and don't mind that it isn't finished and you might have to edit XML files to get it working check out

http://forums.dvbowners.com/index.php?showtopic=4123&st=500

To get the files, click on the link in Bear's footer and then the DigitalWatch directory. Latest as of posting this was v69.

Anthony
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    ukp wrote:
    I spent a few mins in my lunch break to test the new coreavc.

What a disappointment. Playback is slightly jerky even though cpu load is around 60%. ITV was worse than BBC. ITV also seem be broadcasting at around 19mbit.
    Please be specific on WHAT the issue is? We have done extensive testing and found CoreAVC 1.1 to be at the very least 10% faster then our nearest competitor.

Please give me a details report of your config and i'll try and help tell you whats wrong.

BTW... we are going to release an update to CoreAVC 1.1 (1.1.0.6) in the next few days @ www.coreavc.com

This was mainly due to the the users usrs of DVBViewer that found the stop/run and freeze issues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    @Betaboy

Some people have reported that Cyberlink (which has a special GPU acceleration feature) is about as fast as CoreAVC on Dual-Core system when using an Nvidia based 66xx, 78xx, and 79xx video cards that use PureVideo. This special version of the Cyberlink sofware is included with the cards.

He might have a single-core CPU and one of these cards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    betaboy wrote:
    Please be specific on WHAT the issue is? We have done extensive testing and found CoreAVC 1.1 to be at the very least 10% faster then our nearest competitor.

Please give me a details report of your config and i'll try and help tell you whats wrong.

BTW... we are going to release an update to CoreAVC 1.1 (1.1.0.6) in the next few days @ www.coreavc.com

This was mainly due to the the users usrs of DVBViewer that found the stop/run and freeze issues.

Well the specific issue I have is the playback is jerky. ie, its like a slideshow. I have noticed others have issues, others have perfect playback. So I'm sure your claim its 10% better then cyberlink is true, just not for me.

I have tried all permutations of the blocking and deinterlacing options and none make the live stream watchable.

I have only used the latest version of dvbviewer ge as this software works great atm with the cyberlink codec.

It's good to hear about the new version, as I suffer from these problems with dvbview+coreavc also.

I have a pentium d 3ghz, nvidia 6600gt pci-express (with 91.28 drivers), 1 gig ram and using windows xp home. The cyberlink codec is the one from the 29th May PowerDVD7 trial.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    revgen wrote:
    @Betaboy

Some people have reported that Cyberlink (which has a special GPU acceleration feature) is about as fast as CoreAVC on Dual-Core system when using an Nvidia based 66xx, 78xx, and 79xx video cards that use PureVideo. This special version of the Cyberlink sofware is included with the cards.

He might have a single-core CPU and one of these cards.

I have one of those cards, but I have a dual core pentium d 3ghz.

The cyberlink codec is the one from the 29th May PowerDVD7 trial.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    f.y.i:

I've got all working under windows on a MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo and ATI X1600 128Mb card. (using DVBViewer and Twinhan USB stick)

The cyberlink codec gives better performance than the CoreAVC on this machine, as it can use GPU acceleration.

Strangely, under both codecs CPU use starts high, then at a certain point CPU usage will drop to 50/60% and framerates drop accordingly? Anyone have any idea why it might do this - I have to retune to the channel to get the rates back up again?

Also, does anyone know how I could feed the AC3 straight out of the optical out instead of having the laptop decode it, as this might give the video a little bit of extra headroom?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    For yesterdays game, I ditched the cyberlink codec in favour of the coreavc codec... using hardware decoding on the cyberlink codec, my pc would randomly reboot - had it on for few hours before the game without a problem, then about half an hour before the game was due to start my PC would randomly reboot when watching HDTV. Tried software decoding with the cyberlink codec, but it was jerky.... so out of desperation, I spent $20 on the coreavc codec, which worked like a charm... Using coreavc, CPU usage jumps between 50-75% on my Athlon X2 4200+. I'd say the picture quality is slightly better too - with cyberlink + hardware decoding + overlay (I had to use overlay since VMR7 and VMR9 would de-interlace incorrectly, producing jaggies), I ended up with a thick, horizontal line across the bottom of the picture. Coreavc has none of these problems. So $20 well spent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    There's another DVBViewer beta out today (3.4.12.1) which seems fine to me so far.
  • Options
    tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MOD: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can we have a sub-forum for the HD trial over DTT?

Right, back on track: Tomorrow is going to be interesting with the ITV HD Mux. Channel 4 start their HD programming from 5pm, and ITV are showing an HD film IIRC. So we're going to have two HD streams running at about 9Mbs each.

Should make the PQ question an interesting one. I think C4 are starting with either an episode of Desperate Housewives, or Lost. I can't remember without popping across the road to look at the EPG. (Am at work!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    With regard to the Power DVD 7 Trial H264 decoder with a Geforce 7600GT card and DXVA acceleration. Is anyone else seeing chroma/luma timing errors?

I'm running a Dell Dual Core Pentium D820 system with a 7600GT, and there seems to be a time delay between the chroma and the luma - with one lagging the other (especially noticable on cuts)

Is anyone else seeing this?

Apart from this it seems to be working pretty well - though I think it is de-interlacing to 25p not 50p.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Just bought the new CoreAVC codec, with the MBAFF support, and it's brilliant! Now getting full 25fps live on my Athlon 4200 Dual core. With all the de-blocking and de-interlacing on it's using about 85-90%, with them both off about 60-65%.
    Can be a little shaky on fast movement, but MPC is still showing 25fps.
    Not been able to get the ITV one well enough to actually watch it yet.
  • Options
    tarziontarzion Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phdutton wrote:
    Just bought the new CoreAVC codec, with the MBAFF support, and it's brilliant! Now getting full 25fps live on my Athlon 4200 Dual core. With all the de-blocking and de-interlacing on it's using about 85-90%, with them both off about 60-65%.
    Can be a little shaky on fast movement, but MPC is still showing 25fps.
    Not been able to get the ITV one well enough to actually watch it yet.

The problem is, it work okayish in a small window on my PC screen, but when I move the picture to my LCD then there lots of jerkyness..

I have the same problems with PDVD7 but only when I set my LCD resolution to 1920 X 1080i otherwise it works very well on all other resolutions
  • Options
    Forum Member
    can anyone explain how the fps is calculated? i've got the latest CoreAVC release and i'm using it with MPC to play back some samples i've recorded. it's uses 100% cpu on my single core P4 3ghz, MPC report about 35fps, but it still seems jerky and from the previous postings my machine shouldn't be fast enought to play the clips at full speed. is full speed 50fps due to the de-interlacing?

cheers