Great British Menu on BBC2

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    dundee_mark., Your obsevation regarding Gaelic is outrageous. Two hours per week of one of Scotland's indigenous languages at a reasonable time is a tiny percentage of the total TV viewing time. Get a life! And brush up your English: 'cencus'(sic) does your cause no favours!
  • Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And we've actually seen it in Scotland, well I have, so we can see the judging on the same day as everyone else. :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just sent the following off to the BBC, via their "Official Complaints" form:

dundee_mark: I ahd wondereed about dummy e-mail addresses when some that I sent earlier in the week were bounced.

And as for gaelic programming...move down to England, we don't bite! ;)
  • fifi_folEfifi_folE Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gemo52 wrote:
    And we've actually seen it in Scotland, well I have, so we can see the judging on the same day as everyone else. :)

I didn't, because I was coming home from work at 5.15 and don't own a video recorder!
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    domhnull wrote:
    dundee_mark., Your obsevation regarding Gaelic is outrageous. Two hours per week of one of Scotland's indigenous languages at a reasonable time is a tiny percentage of the total TV viewing time. Get a life! And brush up your English: 'cencus'(sic) does your cause no favours!
    I simply copied and pasted from Word before I did the spell-check, so that wasn't the exact copy that was sent. Besides, picking up on someone's spelling means you don't have an argument.

As for your other comments, I have said on many an ocassion that I have no problem with Gaelic programmes in the schedule. What I do have a problem with, is the way they are slotted into BBC2 "prime time", when only just over 1% of the population speak the language. Why can't they show the programmes at the times when Eggheads/Great British Menu are normally shown at on a Saturday?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the programme change was announced, either, fifi. I only knew because of this thread.
  • fifi_folEfifi_folE Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Typical BBC, they change things last minute, and wonder why their ratings drop!
  • fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've voted for the sponge pudding, although I hope the freezers work in the Mansion House.

Who do you think will win?

I want

Starter - Marcus
    Fish - Atul
    Meat - Nick
    Pud - Galton

But I suspect the winners will be

Starter - Richard
    Fish - Atul
    Meat - Bryn
    Pud - Marcus
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alfster wrote:
    I also agree with Marcus's comments on Galtons pudding that it is not summery.

The sponge is also an example of the judges haphazard approach to applying the rules a SUMMER dish! they have consistently gone on about dishes not being summery enough and they put a winter pudding in 3rd place.
    Yes, but have you seen the weather recently? At the moment anyone going to the banquet will probably be panicing about whether or not summer dresses are going to warm enough... :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I have no idea who I'd like for the starters... but, the only truely "British" one was Richard Corrigan's Smoked Salmon (Michael made a Terrine and Marcus made a Tian ).

As for the fish course, you know, we've seen so much food all at once this week, I can hardly remember who even got through to the public voting, and its not on the bbc food website... did Bryn's dish get through? If so, I think I would like that one.

For the mains, I would have liked Bryn's one too, but, since each chef is only allowed one course (!), I would choose Nick Nairn's dish.

And, for the puds, basically there's no contest - Marcus's custard tart all the way!
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    JPB2 wrote:
    Yes, but have you seen the weather recently? At the moment anyone going to the banquet will probably be panicing about whether or not summer dresses are going to warm enough... :)

The way the weather is here, the hot pot would be good after all, despite it being June.
  • CookmeparsnipsCookmeparsnips Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have tried soooo hard not to dislike this Galton bloke, but all he does is whine and complain and run the other blokes food down. He's driving me crazy and I'm ashamed to say I'm rooting for him to get 0 dishes in the resulting menu.

I'm such a bad person!
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    Cookme, I've decided I feel the same. I couldn't see why people seemed to be against him, not at first, but, I've changed, and feel the same now :(

Zsingaya, I forgot to say

Fish Course:

Atul (sea bass)
    Bryn (surf & turf with the oxtail)
    Richard (turbot)
  • gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    Zsingaya wrote:
    I have no idea who I'd like for the starters... but, the only truely "British" one was Richard Corrigan's Smoked Salmon (Michael made a Terrine and Marcus made a Tian ).

The Greeks and Romans ate smoked salmon. Why is it essentially British? This is why the criteria for the show are so frustrating - each person applies them differently - is the menu to be a reflection of what the typical Briton likes to eat today in a globalised culture? If so, include pizza and McDonalds as well as Indian elements. Is it supposed to be an historical overview of quintessentially 'British' cuisine? If so, why include elements plundered from the colonies? They don't really know what they want, so they often ignore it all and just go for something 'unusual' or 'exciting' - which is not what the menu says on the cover.
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Why does it has to be 4 chefs cooking the 4 dishes?

Marcus's starter & pudding look the best...& I've voted several times for him :D ...so I don't see why he can't cook those 2 dishes if he wins them?

So what will they do if say Marcus wins 2x, will the producers ignore it & replace one of his spot for another chef just so they have these "4 chefs" cooking just because they have already announced that that's how they want this competition to come out?

If that will be the case then I'll cry foul play/fix!
    Forum Member
    I'd just like to see that eejit Irish judge brush his hair properly and actually eat the food instead of talk while the other two tuck in. The man is such a poseur.
  • trash80trash80 Posts: 21,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i reckon Galton will win the sweet
    Forum Member
    ...fa.

• fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work just across from the Mansion House, but I haven't seen any comings and goings. I gues it won't be live this evening (?) so I assume they will be filming it some time today.

I'm almost excited, which is very sad.
    Forum Member
    fern3 wrote:
    I work just across from the Mansion House, but I haven't seen any comings and goings.

There's a Diary of a Nobody connection there. (I guess that's the end of that in this dialogue of the deaf.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I voted for the custard tart.
    I prefer fruit for pud but the fruit they served had been mucked around with too much.

If the winner of any round has already won they chose the next highest winner so there are four different chefs doing each of the courses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems a very unfair voting process to me. In the eyes of the judges, Marcus made an excellent starter, but an outstanding pudding. Yet if he's already won the starter, his pudding can't go through.

What would they have done if the same three chefs were in the top three every day?
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Gemo52 wrote:
    I voted for the custard tart.
    I prefer fruit for pud but the fruit they served had been mucked around with too much.

If the winner of any round has already won they chose the next highest winner so there are four different chefs doing each of the courses.

That's what I mean ..why must there be 4 chefs... it defeats the purpose of voting for your favourite if at the end of it all they're already decided to put through the 2nd best only because a chef has already won 1 dish????

This competition sucks!! :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It seems like a very hastily put together and not very well thought out programme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if we'll get a follow-up programme, watching the chefs as they cook the dishes for real. Then, afterwards, get the (very predictable*) reaction of the Queen and some of her guests.

*=No matter what she's given, she'll say it was wonderful. It really wouldn't do the BBC much good having the Queen turn round and say its viewers made bad decisions
This discussion has been closed.