Sky + Problems - Help!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
Forum Member
I got Sky + on Friday and for the first day everything was working ok apart from the dual record which i didn't have and was told by the engineer that i would not get it until the next software download from sky.

I came in from work tonight and my box was sitting on channel 998 (it hadn't been unplugged), all of my recorded programmes had been wiped and when i try to record, pause tv or set a reminder i get a message saying

"System Fault. Sky + playback and recording are unavailable. Please call 08705 800800 for assistance".

Now i would call but i didn't get in till half 11 by which time the tech dept is closed.

I don't know much about the technical side of the box but i did try a download myself (by holding backup while turning the box on) but this has had no effect.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    The fact that your box was on 998 when you returned indicates that it had received a software update whilst you were away (check on http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds12573.html whether you now have the latest).

I've read elsewhere that, on some boxes, this software download has had the effect of deleting all previously saved recordings. That appears to be what has happened with your box although, luckily, you've only lost a couple of days worth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This might be of interest:

http://www.satcure.co.uk/reviews/review66.htm#06

Sam
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by sergeant121
    The fact that your box was on 998 when you returned indicates that it had received a software update whilst you were away

Or a power failure occurred. Such outages can be brief (or they can take the form of a "spike") but the effects on my Sky+ box are invariably the same. I'm on my fourth Sky+ box: each one has failed with the "System Fault" problem of not being able to record. The last time an engineer visited to replace the box, he commented that it's worth using a surge protector. I duly bought one.

However, yesterday we had a power cut and when the power returned, so did the "System Fault". My Sky+ subscription is 13 months old and Sky now want to charge me £65 for repairing the box.

To me it is patently obvious that Pace have designed equipment that is not robust in the face of power outages. None of my other electronic gear is affected in any way, yet Sky are adamant that the box is fine and seemingly has no intention of taking up the matter with the manufacturer.

What I want to know is this: is it possible to have the box modified using more robust components in the critical areas (e.g. hard disk controller)? Otherwise, every time there's a blip on the mains supply I will be looking at a bill for £65.