Options

Will 2G EDGE Technology Be 3G’s Downfall?

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
During 2004 you can expect to see existing 2G operators roll out EDGE (Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution) a new technology utilising existing 2G networks allowing data rates of 384kb. This will require very little outlay for existing operators. For example Ericsson RBS 2000 macro base station (cell site) from 1995 onwards are ready to use EDGE with little more than software upgrades and plug in transceivers.

3G so far has proved to be an expensive nightmare and with 4G being developed will 2G have the last laugh?

The Nokia 6200 supports EDGE for anyone who’s interested.

Comments

• Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Everything Goes
    During 2004 you can expect to see existing 2G operators roll out EDGE (Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution) a new technology utilising existing 2G networks allowing data rates of 384kb. This will require very little outlay for existing operators. For example Ericsson RBS 2000 macro base station (cell site) from 1995 onwards are ready to use EDGE with little more than software upgrades and plug in transceivers.

3G so far has proved to be an expensive nightmare and with 4G being developed will 2G have the last laugh?

The Nokia 6200 supports EDGE for anyone who’s interested.

What does 3G offer above video calling that 2G can't?

Streaming Video - nope 3G can't do this, 2.5G can....

Internet on your phone - 2.5G already does this.

3G is currently making the millennium dome look like a well implemented, on time, on budget, worthwhile spend of taxpayers money :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adittionally Orange have already deployed EDGE just waiting to switch it on.

kev

Sadly your comparison with 3G and the Dome is spot on :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,646
    Forum Member
    What are 4G phones going to be able to do, 2.5G phones are much better anyway!
  • Options
    dj1471dj1471 Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    This is unlikely to be the case.

The phone companies have already spent millions just for the licenses to operate a 3G network, plus the many millions they continue to spend on actually building their networks.

2G will go the way of analogue. Not necessarily because 3G is better or because customers want it, but because the phone providers have spent a lot of money, and they are in control. They will stop offering 2G to new customers and encourage existing customers to move to 3G.

This may be a few years away, but it will happen.

I also think it is rather silly to compare the whole 3G technology to the dome. Perhaps you can compare '3' to the dome, but not 3G in general, just because '3' are the only operator at the moment.

And 3G can do streaming video as long as the phone supports it.
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EDGE will compliment 3G and help establish some of the facilities that it can offer at a competitve prive over existiing networks and perhaps tempt 2G users to make a move if they enjoy the richer content.

What will damage 3G is Hutchison 3G UK - Their service is utterly appalling to date. It is unreliable in terms of voice traffic, SMS, MMS, Enhanced Services and does not even offer access to the Internet. H3G UK are hell bent on building a customer base despite having the poorest support in the industry and are pouring money into dealer subsidies rater than supporting customers who have invested in their product.

I have had a 3 phone and it has been the worst piece of technology junk I have purchaced. I have since migrated back to a reliable 2G network that offers fewer inclusive minutes of talk-time but at least I can use those!

The danger is not from EDGE - it's from the rush to get folk onto dodgy 3G networks and Hutchison 3G UK seem desparate to push that to the limits!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by dj1471
    The phone companies have already spent millions just for the licenses to operate a 3G network, plus the many millions they continue to spend on actually building their networks.

In which case you will be interested to learn that Mobilcom of Germany has returned its 3G licence which it bought for € 8.5 billion. The Register - Mobilcom returns 3G licence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In which case you will be interested to learn that Mobilcom of Germany has returned its 3G licence which it bought for € 8.5 billion. The Register - Mobilcom returns 3G licence.

the 2nd paragraph implies they're pulling out of the market or network sharing ala T-Mobile and Virgin

the bandwidth available to 3G is far larger the products available at the moment are only the tip of the iceberg

btw i belive 4G will be based on the technology currently used for wireless hotspots but since the hardware you need to use anything on that system is laptop size, with the cost of the hardware for both vendor and user being far to high we're not going to get anywhere near blanket coverage anytime soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by Smiggs
    the 2nd paragraph implies they're pulling out of the market or network sharing ala T-Mobile and Virgin

That does appear to be the case.

"Mobilcom said in a statement that it had now decided to return the permit so that it would be free to offer 3G services as a reseller - piggybacking on other operators' networks - which would not be possible if it still held a license as an operator."

International Herald Tribune - Mobilcom to return German 3G license.
  • Options
    Mr CableMr Cable Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    During 2004 you can expect to see existing 2G operators roll out EDGE (Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution) a new technology utilising existing 2G networks allowing data rates of 384kb....B]

I was pretty sure EDGE has a maximum rate of 216k not the 384k, but I think the operators will stick to 64k, 128 at the very maximum.

However, 64k over cellular technology that's coming up to a decade old is still mightly impressive and I personally think it'll slow up Orange & T-mobile rolling out 3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by Mr Cable
    I was pretty sure EDGE has a maximum rate of 216k not the 384k,

If its 216k you had better tell Ericsson that their site is wrong :p

EDGE is a 3G radio technology that enables high-speed (384Kbps and faster) transmission of large amounts of data.

Ericsson - EDGE (how it works).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what Ericsson state about EDGE - but no company in the world has got EDGE to run quicker than 216k.

Click here for information on the latest PRACTICAL tests

I'll admit that IN THEORY that edge one day could run at 384k - however, the 2g networks will probably stick to a maximum of 64k or 128k.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its always the same real world tests are always lower than what can be achived in theory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What is the speed that GPRS goes at?! isn't it 28Kb/s?!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    i think the best gprs (class 10) can reach speeds of 44 kbps.
    tjc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its always the same real world tests are always lower than what can be achived in theory.

Agreed, but more than 40% slower is is quite a difference.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Mr Cable
    Agreed, but more than 40% slower is is quite a difference.
    Sounds like WiFi then....

According to pg 42 of PCW February (yes FEBRUARY) 2004 for 54Mbits/sec the writer (and US Robotics for that matter) could get a maximum of 15MBits/sec out of it, and the manufactures accept a performance of 32MBits/sec - a 40% loss!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by tjclague
    i think the best gprs (class 10) can reach speeds of 44 kbps.
    tjc

GPRS has a theoretical maximum speeds of up to 171.2 kbps. Of course 44kbps is much closer to what it actually delivers.

So much for big plans :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GPRS has a theoretical maximum speeds of up to 171.2 kbps. Of course 44kbps is much closer to what it actually delivers.

So much for big plans :(
    Well it certainly isn't 171.2kbps as O2 Active is so slow! lol