Options

Do I need a tv licence?

Comments

• Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,714
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by halcyon
    BBC channels are included in the digital packs too. So even if you didn't want them - and I surely wouldn't - you are obliged to receive them and hence be liable for the fee. Isn't that a bit unfair? But then again, life is unfair as it's very well said previously :p
    Is it possible to ask your satellite or cable company to remove those channels? (BBC1,2,3, and 4) What ground would they have in prosecuting you if those channels were not included?

At the moment they have to be carried. If they went subscription then I assume that would change.

You don't say how we are to stop those who don't have/want digital and who dont' pay the sub (if/when it happens!) from receiving the analogue signals; which was the point of my post :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    quote:
    You don't say how we are to stop those who don't have/want digital and who dont' pay the sub (if/when it happens!) from receiving the analogue signals; which was the point of my post

As I understand it, the government are planning to upgrade the few that haven't already by using licence fee money - so it could be argued it has its uses after all! If they're going to meet the deadline they won't have a choice, otherwise there'll be lots of angry people out there without EastEnders!

The analogue signals are being switched off and sold to mobile phone companies (in a nutshell) so no one will be able to receive the analogue signals simply because there won't be any channels broadcasting on it after the switch off date.

So techinically you could just stick to your guns and have digital paid for you....almost!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    if you have a working TV in your house (tuned in or not) you need a TV licence. Even if you are only going to watch DVDs.

By rights if you have a working radio you also need a TV Licence (full) as something like 2% goes to BBC radio.

If you get the reviever removed out of you TV then you DO NOT have to pay for a licence.

If you have a locked internal door in your house that can be locked by a key, if that room has a TV you will need a seperate licence. This is aimed at places like student acomodation and flats.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    What?!! I can lock every door in my house, that would mean I would need 12 Tv licences to cover every single television and radio! That's a bit stupid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    if the doors lock (only) from the inside that is not a problem.

If the doors lock from the outside (with a key) you need a TV licence for each room OR an entertainments licence for the building.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yup I can lock all doors from the outside with a key. Why I haven't I been asked to buy more licences then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Your address will be registered to have a TV licence, so when the vans check and your name comes up it will look fine.

If they happened to come and check (maybe if you didn't buy 1 TV licence) you would get an extreamly heavy fine.

12 times the normal fine (if you have 12 rooms all with TVs in and all with locks on)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Surely I'm not the only one who has a house that all doors (or even most doors) can be locked in?! The TV licencing people could make loads more money if they started charging people for having lockable doors and televisions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i don't have any lockable doors (from the outside) in my house.

How would they efficiently check up if you did!?

Bring down the TV licence!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by mrfreeze
    As i have posted before you

DO NOT

need a tv licence to watch dvds if the equipment is not tuned in or attached to an arial.

This is direct from the tv licence center, feel free to phone them on 0870 242 4567, to confirm this info.

or

check out this site

http://www.jifvik.org/tv/

which has more info and scanned letters (which i assume are not fakes) from the TV licencing people explaining the situation.

That site also states that you only need a licence if you connect to a box that receives programmes transmitted from the UK - my sky box receives transmissions from a satellite miles above the earth, so according to that needs no licence - I dont think so!
    And remember the signals may originate from the UK but are broadcast I receive is not the one uplinked to the satellite it is one transmitted from the satellite.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by bonfireboy
    That site also states that you only need a licence if you connect to a box that receives programmes transmitted from the UK - my sky box receives transmissions from a satellite miles above the earth, so according to that needs no licence - I dont think so!
    And remember the signals may originate from the UK but are broadcast I receive is not the one uplinked to the satellite it is one transmitted from the satellite.

eh? not sure what your trying to get at. all i know for sure is that in answer to the original post in this thread, the person does not need a tv licence to watch dvds only on a tv.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    You need a TV license to receive TV broadcasts. You do not need a license simply to own a TV set or any other device capable of receiving these broadcasts. It is similar to an amateur radio license. The TV Licensing people will need to prove that you have been receiving broadcasts to prosecute you.

And regardless of whether you agree with funding the BBC, TV licensing is a government operation, it is not run by the BBC. They are simply the beneficiaries. I don't like paying a lot of taxes and other government fees but I have to.

Steve
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I am a student starting university this year. I have checked my parents TV license & have read up on the licensing law, and I have a question.

I do not need a seperate license if I have a TV powered by batteries according to our household license.

My question is:
    my laptop computer has an intenal battery, so can I legally buy a PCMCIA or USB tv tuner and use it provided I only use it to receive TV whilst my laptop is on battery power
    or
    because my laptop is capable of receiving TV whilst using mains power would this be illigal and require a seperate license.

Conversly, if this is not legal would it mean that any portable TVs with the facility to be mains powered (by a AC\DC adapter) also require a seperate license for each location they are used at as they have the potential to receive TV under a mains power supply.

If this is illigal what address would one give the licensing people to watch tv on the laptop, under battery power, in a tent/caravan/moving vehicle/etc. :confused:

[EDIT:] Just thought - would they ever be able to prove that it was used under mains power (even if it was - without any evidence I could claim I used it under batteries). Would this mean that anyone, in a similar situation, with a laptop & tuner could use it without a license by claiming it was only ever used under battery?

[EDIT #2:] I thought I'd better make it clear I'm not condoning the suggestion in my first edit, I was just woudering if it might be possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does it not need to be a handheld television rather than a portable one, as *technically* you could argue that nearly any TV is portable. Anyway, I would say you would need to license your laptop, though under what part of the law, I don't know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    The exact wording from the back of the license states that is allows:

'Use, by the persons referred to overleaf, of a television receiver anywhere, provided it is powered only by internal batteries.'

Does that mean is can only be powered by internal batteries, in which case what about handheld tvs which have a dc socket for a mains adapter or any device provided it is being powered exclusively by the mains when it is operated, like my laptop with its internal battery and a BUS powered PCMCIA or USB tuner. It makes no mention of the dimentions of the device.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    MaxRebo wrote:
    If you live in a shared house but sign an agreement for your room only, if you have a tv in your room and communal area then you need a licence for both. If there is only a tv in the communal area, then you only need a licence for that tv.

Yes and no. If you have a lock on the door to your room, it's considered a seperate residence, but if you don't it's part of the house and can be covered by a communal license with the rest of the house.

The sad fact is the regulators see a shared residence as one licence area, which meant for me that my housemates sponged off of my licence without ever getting a letter from the licensing people, which many others in many other houses did. If I'd have known that they had TVs I'd have made a complaint. They were horrible people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    If you have a locked internal door in your house that can be locked by a key, if that room has a TV you will need a seperate licence. This is aimed at places like student acomodation and flats.
    You'll find this is just a layman's way of looking at it. The actual rule is that if you have your own residency agreement (like halls, or student accomodation do) then you must have your own TV Licence. The 'lock' myth as come from this rule, since most student residences (including houses) have this facility.

However, not all do - yet each student still signs their own individual residency agreement. Therefore they must all have their own licence.

In the same way that a typical family home - rented or not - (for example) would not need more than one licence simply because they have a lock on their bedroom doors!
  • Options
    Blue100Blue100 Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    Ynara wrote:
    If I just want a tv in my house to watch dvd's, do I still need a licence?

Yes!

You need a licence if you have tv recieving equipment.This goes for tv combies aswell and video recorders Freeview boxes and Pcs with tv cards.

So you will need to get one before a insppector comes around.They rarely come around and so you can get away with it for at least four weeks.Once you recieve a tv license letter then act as they will come around to investigate shortly afterward.

Tv licencing stinks and gets more expensive year after year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    You need a licence if you have tv recieving equipment.This goes for tv combies aswell and video recorders Freeview boxes and Pcs with tv cards.

This is incorrect.

Even the TV licencing website admits this if you look in the section for businesses. TVs which are only used for watching videos do not need to be licensed.

Anyone concerned about a TV licence inspector visitor should be aware that they have no legal power. They are not police and have no rights to enter your premises, nor do you have to answer any of their questions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    @andy_sinclair

"Anyone concerned about a TV licence inspector visitor should be aware that they have no legal power. They are not police and have no rights to enter your premises, nor do you have to answer any of their questions."

Dead rite just answer their questions with a question, they are already monkeys, so you can't alter that , they can be made to look very silly. Once they realize they are up against a superior person, they run off to find an easer victim.
  • Options
    Blue100Blue100 Posts: 229
    Forum Member

This is incorrect.

Even the TV licencing website admits this if you look in the section for businesses. TVs which are only used for watching videos do not need to be licensed.

Anyone concerned about a TV licence inspector visitor should be aware that they have no legal power. They are not police and have no rights to enter your premises, nor do you have to answer any of their questions.

The tv licencing people seem to trust people then.If I had a combie and all it would take is for me to say i only use it to watch dvd and then just throw away the ariel and then I could watch tv with another ariel hidden but tv license would take my word and not investigate.

Cool:D

I was being sarcastic.any equipment that is Capable of recieving terrestrial must be licenced regardless of what your intentions are.However if you bought a monitor and rigged it up to your dvd player you would not need a licence because it is being used on a monitor instead of a tv.

if you are not licenced and you have a tv,get licenced quick.Too add,tv licence people can call the police and the police can obtain a warrant to search the property if it is believed that you do have tv without licence.It stinks I know but better licenced then sentenced.And tv licence people have devices that can pick up your tv signal if they happen to be out and about.

If you finding it hard to pay go to tv licence cash easy entry scheme where you can spread payments at 4.70 per week.At the start of your next licence period you can cancel your membership and enjoy a few glorious months of prepaid tv.But at the epiry date get licenced.Get licenced. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malzzo wrote:
    @andy_sinclair

"Anyone concerned about a TV licence inspector visitor should be aware that they have no legal power. They are not police and have no rights to enter your premises, nor do you have to answer any of their questions."

Dead rite just answer their questions with a question, they are already monkeys, so you can't alter that , they can be made to look very silly. Once they realize they are up against a superior person, they run off to find an easer victim.

No, they send a fine in the post, which if you fail to prove you have a TV licence, or dont own a TV by allowing them in your house. Will result in a court summons. :yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Blue100 wrote:
    Any equipment that is Capable of recieving terrestrial must be licenced regardless of what your intentions are.
    You are incorrect Blue100. Try reading this page:
    http://www.jifvik.org/tv/
    and in particular, follow the links to the scans of real letters from TV Licensing.

If in doubt, contact TV Licensing themselves. This is what I did with a query about listening to the radio channels on Freeview. Here is a copy of their reply.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    *Joe* wrote:
    No, they send a fine in the post, which if you fail to prove you have a TV licence, or dont own a TV by allowing them in your house. Will result in a court summons. :yawn:

They don't send fines in the post (what would they fine you for)

If you receive a letter asking for proof that you have a tv licence, there is no law compelling you to answer, (so don't answer)

You certainly don't let some low grade individual into your home to see if you have a tv ( they need a court order to gain entry to your home, magistrates don't dish them out easly, TL have to make a case before an order is issued )