Options

Heads Up - I do not have any serious problems with Sky+

Dan the VanDan the Van Posts: 1,015
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

I thought we needed a thread for everyone who has not had any or has had very few problems with their Sky Plus box.
I had my V2 box since June 2003 last year and can count the number of failures on one hand.
Prior to DR download I only had one glitch, where the box thought it would be a good idea to reboot in the middle of a recording session. Since DR download I have had one Failed Recording, one Part Recording and one duplicate recording (same program was recoded twice).

My system details are :-
Manufacture Pace
Model # 2.057
Version # 9F2101
Operating System 1.3.0BF
EPG Software sky+ 1.26.v2

Sky+ Setup is:-
Disk Space Managemant = Auto
Instant Rewind = Off
Add to Start Recording = Auto
Add to End Recording = Auto
Front Panel Indicator = Off

Typical disk usage 70 to 90% disk free. Record mostly Films, BBC and ITV programs.
It is alway in 'Standby' when not used and is installed on an open shelf under my Panasonic TV.

I do not work for Sky, I am intrested as to why my box works with few errors and why some don't. Perhaps some with an un modified V1 or V2 box who as many faults could start their own thread detailing their system setup using the same format I have used.
I have read through many threads and I find it very difficult to work out what the problems are. Perhaps with a common format for recording the problems will help Sky take you more seriously.
Please only add to thread if you are a happy Sky+ user also provide your system and usage details.

I beg of you don't shoot me down, I am only trying to help

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worth a try just to see if there is some pattern:)
    My SKY+ is peforming it's tasks very well with no missed recordings, part record, 2min bug or anyother minute issues. The SKY+ is performing as well after the DR update as before.
    Unmodified SKY+ which runs around 50% capacity mostly with mulit channel recordings but the odd BBC and Five programs.
    Full use of series links when available.

Manufacture Pace
    Model # 8.0.0
    Version # 9F2003
    Operating System 1.3.0BF

Disk Space Managemant = Manual
    Instant Rewind = Off
    Front Panel Indicator = Standard
  • Options
    Roger G CamRoger G Cam Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the problems with DD sound on Sky Movies last year - fixed; and with BBC4 part record - pre Dual record and still an occasional problem. I once had an item on the Personal Planner with corrupt data in it which I had difficulty in deleting but got rid of it in the end.

No problems with or since Dual record.

I use the box to record one or two hours each day. I do watch some tv live - news and sport - and make use of live pause for that, with no problems

I record mainly BBC1 2 and 4, ITV, C4, C5, E4, Sky Film channels, Film Four and occasionally other multichannel stations including radio.

I watch live or use "Pause" on Sky News, News 24 and Sky Sports.

The box is usually between 50% and 90% full. It has never really been less than 50% full.

My TV stand is enclosed with a door on the front and only open at the back so I don't think there is an awful lot of air. I have kept an eye on box heat but I haven't had any issues with it.

I use Series links without any problems.

I have not modified the box or opened the lid.

Bought the box 22nd February 2002.

No ongoing problems with the box - it does exactly what I expect it to do.

Manufacture Pace
    Model # 8.0.0
    Version # 9F2006
    Operating System 1.3.0BF

Disk Space Managemant = Automatic
    Instant Rewind = 60 mins

Roger
  • Options
    james paynejames payne Posts: 4,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the DR s/ware was made available forabout 3 weeks it performed effortlessly. It did exactly what it said on the tin.

Over Christmas i had a couple of 'Failed' recordings whilst Dual Recording. This was a mystery, however i managed to catch the repeats.

I have suffered from the 2 minute bug once, and only very occasionally do i miss the start of the programme. I have since changed the padding to Automatic and this has helped.

Apart from these odd failings i am more than happy with the system.

I record mainly from BBC1, ITV1, Sky One, E4 and the odd movie. It is an unmoddified V1 box and i never normally have more than 50 % disc space full.

The box is well vetilated on the top shelf under my Sony TV (open stand)

I use Series Links all the time when available.

System details :

Model # 8.0.0
    Version # 9F2023
    Operating System 1.3.OBF
    EPG Software Version Sky+ 1.26.V2

Sky+ Setup
    Disc Space Management = Warning
    Instant Rewind = 60 mins
    Add to start = Automatic
    Add to end = Automatic

Regards James
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    a bit early for a trend i know, but the one thing thats sticks out is you all have your padding length set to auto/auto, i'm off to change my buggy as f**k sky+'s this very second, i'll try anything, i wish itv had the same open nature, i'm going to through a party if they ever, EVER get their programmes running to shedule!
  • Options
    northamuknorthamuk Posts: 1,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No probs, so far -

System Details

Pace
    9F2104
    1.3.OBF
    1.26.V2

Setup

DSM - Auto
    IR - 60 Min
    Pad - Auto
    Pad - Auto
    FPI - Standard
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My SKY+ is peforming to plan as well. No real problems to report.

No missed recordings, part record, 2 or 17 min bug.

The SKY+ is performing as well after the DR update as before.

Unmodified SKY+ (40gb) which runs around 30-50% capacity.

Dont use series links much.

NEVER set recordings to KEEP prior to record.

Manufacture Pace
    Model # 8.0.0
    Version # 9F2003
    Operating System 1.3.0BF

Instant Rewind = On (60 mins)

Rgds
    Scorp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My SKY+ is peforming to plan as well. No real problems to report.

No missed recordings, part record, 2 or 17 min bug.

The SKY+ is performing as well after the DR update as before.

Unmodified SKY+ (40gb) which runs around 30-50% capacity.

Dont use series links much.

NEVER set recordings to KEEP prior to record.

Manufacture Pace
    Model # 8.0.0
    Version # 9F2003
    Operating System 1.3.0BF

Rgds
    Scorp
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    I would expect anyone who makes back to back recordings of 3 programmes such as:

Programme on Channel A starts 8pm ends 8.30pm
    Programme on Channel B starts 8.30pm
    Programme on Channel C starts 8.30pm

... will find whatever the padding settings that one of the recordings from channel B or C will fail every time.

Can anyone confirm or deny that this happens every time, or does using the Auto setting for padding allow all 3 programmes to be recorded?

I'm not saying this is a bug, its clearly how DR has been designed (ie because of padding around 8pm you're actually trying to record 3 programmes at once). However, its a very poor design when it ends up in episodes of a favourite series being missed unexpectedly, just because a series link or another member of the family sets programme C to record.

As far as I can see, unless Auto padding does resolve this, there is no way to prevent it, other than carefully checking what is in the planner before a programme starts, and ensuring it actually starts recording, deleting programmes as necessary to allow it to record or changing padding. All very complicated and rather defeats the reason for having Sky+ in the first place.

Only other solution is to turn padding off. Of course then you will end up missing the start, or worse still, the end of recorded programmes.

I've only had a working Sky+ / DR setup for a few days - and I've already missed an important episode because of this 'feature'.

I wonder if the reason some people have few problems is because of the amount of back-to-back recordings they do. I do hope I'm wrong, and that using Auto padding really does help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Apwood, I have a theory about this specific situation. The logic which Sky+ has to use to decide if multiple (DR) recordings are to be carried out successfully has turned out to be far mor complex than their programmers believed.

'Real Life' testing (us users) are now proving this.

a key ingredient to successful recording is what you, the viewer, are doing at the time of record (or dual record).

consider how upset you would be if you were watching ITV and Sky+ booted you off because you had scheduled back to back recordings (on ny channels) and Sky+ was intending to record padding on both events (ie use both tuners to carry out your programmed commands).

It is precisely this type of situation which Sky+ is struggling with.

In the above scenario the 'best' action might be to ignore your padding settings and carry out both recordings and let you carry on watching ITV oblivious to any 'adjustments' made to padding so as to not interrupt live viewing.

It is because of this type of situation that I firmly believe that the action being carried out by you (the viewer) has real influence over the decisions which Sky+ makes while it's recording.

I'm sure it reacts differently if you are..........

in the planner
    watching another broadcast stream
    watching a recorded program
    in standby

The next things it needs to use to decide what to do with padding (if it should it find itself in a quandry over recording / live viewing priorities) are the padding setting and the keep attribute.

Knowing what I know about the issues people are having with DR i reckon i could write the spec for the required logic DR needs in the 'real world'.

Many post have been placed recently on how dual record manages all these ingredients................result: inconsistently!!!

Dont despair, I use AUTO padding and NO KEEP and dont miss too much stuff.

Rgds,
    Scorp
  • Options
    Dan the VanDan the Van Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    The intention of this tread is to record Sky+ configs on system users who are not having any serious problems. AWP has noticed a trend with regards to padding, so we might be getting somewhere.
    Please restrict your posts to system config and usage details. After a week I am going to sift through this tread and come up with a common system setup.

Lets have some more config details please.

Dan.
  • Options
    HowieCHowieC Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    I cannot fault the operation of my V2 Sky+ before or after the DR update. (other than the soft focus problem - but thats another story)

Pace
    9F2101
    1.3.0BF
    1.26.v2

DSM Warn
    IR 30m
    Add start Auto
    Add end Auto
    Panel Standard
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by apwood
    I would expect anyone who makes back to back recordings of 3 programmes such as:

Programme on Channel A starts 8pm ends 8.30pm
    Programme on Channel B starts 8.30pm
    Programme on Channel C starts 8.30pm

... will find whatever the padding settings that one of the recordings from channel B or C will fail every time.

Can anyone confirm or deny that this happens every time, or does using the Auto setting for padding allow all 3 programmes to be recorded?

i have mine set to auto padding at start & end and tried an experiment this morning i recorde a programme on channel a 10-30am recorded ok, recorded channel b 10.30-11am
    recorded ok and i recorded channel c 10.30-11am also recorded ok.

last thursday i also recorded the following

the bill 8-9pm
    jake 2.0 8-9pm
    wire in the blood 9-10.30pm
    24 9-10.15pm
    coldcase 10.15-11.15pm

all recorded perfectly:D

the main problem i have noticed since getting the dr update is my boxes crashes more frequently than it did before the update

Manufacture Pace
    Model # 2.057
    Version # 9F2101
    Operating System 1.3.0BF

Instant Rewind = Off
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by chic
    the main problem i have noticed since getting the dr update is my boxes crashes more frequently than it did before the update
    Do you not count this as a serious problem? I would.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by Joe Beard
    Do you not count this as a serious problem? I would.

not serious to me as its only crashed 3 times since the update and i never lost anything
  • Options
    Jim BlacklerJim Blackler Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    No serious problems in the last year or so.

Manufacturer: Pace
    Model Number: 8.0.0
    Version Number: 9F2006
    Operating System Version: 1.3.0BF
    EPG Software Version: Sky+ 1.26.v2

Never opened the box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'll post the details later, I was using padding set to Start 0 Min, end Auto. Perhaps it would have worked if both had been set to Auto. I just thought that stopping Sky having to add padding to the beginning would help - perhaps not.

I suppose, as said, its just very complex, perhaps someone was watching live TV at the time. I also had a mixture of keep and non-keep on the actual recordings.

I did, however, lose a program last night, with no recording clashes I could discern, but perhaps again something to do with the viewing of live tv while recording. I'll have to keep a close eye on things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    I know its only been two days, but not many people have posted here yet.

Where's the hundreds of Sky+ owners reading these forums who don't have any serious problems??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Manufacture Pace
    Model # 2.057
    Version # 9F2101
    Operating System 1.3.0BF

Add to Start Recording = Auto (was set to 0 minutes until today)

Use of box :-
    Extent = Heavy with back-to-back
    Type = frequent recording and freqeuent live viewing

I previously had a v1 box, but this only ever worked for a few odd days with DR until crashing completely and refusing to work at all. I'm glad to say that Sky have replaced it, with a v2 box as above - best of all since I made it clear I was not willing to pay for a fault they had caused, they haven't charged me - they seem to have treated it as a warranty service, even though I have no warranty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Should have said that in the 5 days since my v2 box was installed I have had the following (some referred to earlier in this thread):

1 failed recording due to clash (caused either by padding or by someone watching live tv, not sure which)

1 failed recording that I can't easily explain - it says cancelled, but I'm sure it wasn't.

Unable to view most channesl for a while due to 'no satellite signal', when there was a good signal from both lnbs. I managed to correct this by switching off background music.

I think its perhaps important to note that my box usage is heavy, with numerous people in the recording things and watching live tv there is more potential for back-to-back recordings clashing with each other and / or live tv viewing; so I think it is worth reporting the following:

Use of box - heavy
    Type of use - recording and live viewing

Some people, for example might mainly make and view recordings and not view live tv much - I think these people are less likely to suffer problems and clashes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    My box was installed last Saturday (v2), I'm happy with it so far.

I've got my padding settings on auto and it seems happy to juggle the padding with back to back recordings. I've just recorded Bremner Bird and Fortune from 8pm - 9pm and then set two films starting at 9pm on two different channels. I've just been in to check on it and both films are showing as recording, it's managed to deal with this a couple of times so far.

Manufacture Pace
    Model # 2.057
    Version # 9F2106
    Operating System 1.3.0BF

Disk Space Managemant = Manual
    Instant Rewind = On (30 mins)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unmodified V2 box

Can't say about problem before the update, as I only had the box for 2 days when the update happened.

I had one recording that I couldn't fastforward x30 past 17 minutes. So I'm simply x30ed to 16 mins, the x12ed to 18 mins, and continued x30ing. I don't think this is quite the 17min bug other people are reporting.

Since then the occasional interactive crash.
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to see many people have the pad set to 'auto'. May be barking up the wrong tree but....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by Joe Beard
    I know its only been two days, but not many people have posted here yet.

Where's the hundreds of Sky+ owners reading these forums who don't have any serious problems??

Could it be that the majority of people on these forums are those with problems & who are therefore seeking help? Those who are perfectly happy may have no need to visit.

Pure speculation of course! ;)
  • Options
    northamuknorthamuk Posts: 1,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a small sample as yet, but the obvious commonality, so far, is Auto padding front and back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Yet another one who has had no problems. Installed just before Christmas (courtesy of the now infamous "refurb" deal) a nice shiny V2 box. The details;

Pace
    9F2106
    1.3.0BF
    sky+1.26.v2

I use the "auto" settings as per everyone else.

Live pause, all recordings,etc. - never had a problem.

Hard drive use = middling. Tend to watch then delete so never clog up the space.

One happy chappy. However least this turn in to a "mine's perfect, so everyone's must be perfect " thread let me say that all the problems that other people have posted about are genuine and they have a legitimate grievance. Something, somewhere is not right with a LOT of boxes so Sky need to work harder to eradicate customer dissatisfaction.