Options

Non UK Credit Card Probs with Sky

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
Forum Member
Some of you may remember the problems last year with Sky not accepting Non UK Credit Cards - Is this happening again. A good friend who is active in Sky cards throughout Europe is telling me that several of his customers have been switched off. When he checks, Sky say that according to their system the credit card account was closed. This is identical to what was happening before.

There are difinitely new things happening at Sky which are once again causing major headaches. God forbid if the credit card problem starts again.
When you ring them the credit card goes through OK. Problem seems to have started around 1st March

Basically I think that Sky have got fed up with people who are not registered ASA dealers blatantly advertising Sky abroad when due to pressure from other TV suppliers in other countries they have to be seen to be playing by the rules. I would say that unless you are paying with a UK credit card there could be a good chance in the near future that you lose your channels. Anyone experienced any such problems recently.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Yeah sky do have a policy where tehy will not accept non uk credit cards as a continuance pymt
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    But why are you surprised? Sky broadcasts legally to the UK and the Republic of Ireland: it does not pay broadcast rights for people who live elsewhere. I can't understand why people can't understand this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I'm currently residing in the UK but I'm still using my foreign credit card for my sub (and the box is connected to the phone line). Still haven't got problem with it.
  • Options
    ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People should be able to use whatever credit card they like for sky, and sky should not discriminate this. Afterall, regardless of the broadcasting outside of the U.K. policy for sky, this is still the E.U. which is a single trading zone, and other company's like banks should not be restricted by sky's policies.

What I mean is that banks are like any other businesses, and if a German or Italian bank offers a better deal than a British one, a British person living in Britain may choose to join that bank and use their services. So, if that person lives in Britain and was switched off by sky simply because they have a non-British card, I would advise that person to take the issue up with the bank who may be interested in taking sky to court for harming their business oportunities across Europe.

The E.U. is a single free market, and although sky may choose to ingnore this, they have no right to inflict this upon other companies who are trying to compete in a 350million plus market.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    wiraone wrote:
    I'm currently residing in the UK but I'm still using my foreign credit card for my sub (and the box is connected to the phone line). Still haven't got problem with it.

What Sky did last time was to do a check with the registrered adress and the adress the credit card was registred at. If theese adresses matched - no problem. If not the transfer from the credit card was cancelled.

Cheers
    Huffin the Puffin
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    So should Sky greatly increase their admin costs just to accept foreign bank payments? And for what number of subscribers? I think the great majority who pay using standard methods would prefer Sky didn't offer this rather than see a price hike to cover costs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvab wrote:
    So should Sky greatly increase their admin costs just to accept foreign bank payments? And for what number of subscribers? I think the great majority who pay using standard methods would prefer Sky didn't offer this rather than see a price hike to cover costs

?? There are no significant admin costs accepting a credit card from another E.U. country. Where do you get this information from? Every shop in the U.K. which accepts credit cards, accept them from all over the world. Whether they are a large department store, or a family run corner shop.

The world work's a lot more simpler than you may imagine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's right, you know - Visa is Visa is Visa, regardless of which bank you get it from. I've been using a credit card issued by a Czech bank to buy stuff from Amazon and dozens of other UK traders for years now, and none of them have ever refused it.
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I, too, have never had problems paying for goods or services using "foreign" cards - but I have done business with companies who refused to send goods to a shipping address different from the cardholder's registered address, apparently for security reasons (credit card fraud, theft, etc.). Sky could easily act and argue similarly, with the added "bonus" of making life difficult for would-be customers abroad (contrary to the Treaty of Rome, but BSkyB doesn't give a flying fornication for the theory of EU-wide access to goods and services anyway).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I have been using an Non-Uk credit card all along.. and after reading all the posts last month...was really hoping against hope that my card doesn't get rejected..But received a letter from SKY yesterday, saying that "they have not been able to get payments on the credit card" :(:(

I only hope I can get this thing sorted out before I am disconnected :cry::cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how applicable it is to Sky, or indeed their merchant license, but in order for Sky to take a payment from a card, they have to check the address against that the bank have, just like any distance selling (online for example).

Increasinly as countries update their data protection acts, banks are becoming restricted on what customer details they can give, or in this case confirm. Perhaps thats where some of the problem comes from? I used to work for an online company, and if we couldn't clear their details, we had to phone the merchant bank and do a 'Code 10 Name and Address Check'. Most foreign countries (over the last 6 months or so) have stopped this.

I also agree that if Sky buys rights to broadcast shows in the UK and Ireland, why should people abroad be watching them through Sky? If you subscribe to a German digital network you can still get most the Sky shows (except maybe Your Face or Mine on E4!). And if they are in holiday homes, surely then if your card is registered in good old Blightly, there shouldn't be a problem :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ejim03 wrote:
    I also agree that if Sky buys rights to broadcast shows in the UK and Ireland, why should people abroad be watching them through Sky? If you subscribe to a German digital network you can still get most the Sky shows (except maybe Your Face or Mine on E4!). And if they are in holiday homes, surely then if your card is registered in good old Blightly, there shouldn't be a problem :D

It could also be argued that if someone "pays" for the subscription to sky, but lives overseas, then what exactly is the difference if they payed sky in Britain, or payed Premier in Germany? In both cases, both the distributer and the broadcaster get's their money.

On the other hand, Premier dubbs ALL of their movies and shows into German. What happens if the person who lives in Germany, can't speak fluent German or hates to watch a dubbed movie, and wishes to "pay" for an English service.

Again, as long as the broadcaster is being "payed" then both distributer and broadcaster get's their money. It will make no difference where that money comes from.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, thats a good point.

Does Sky have a proper set up and proceedure for overseas viewers, or does it just put the details in as usual?