Back-to-back tracks

InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Some tracks sound better if you play them next to the right tracks, and some tracks sound terrible if you hear them next to the wrong ones. Some stations seem to always play tracks that sound good back-to-back - eg Easy Radio playing Hendrix and Kylie together (sounds better than you'd think) or Nelly Furtado followed by My Morning Jacket (really nice combination).

But this afternoon Virgin played You're Fit But You Know It back-to-back with Love Shack and it was just the most horrible clash of styles, a musical disaster zone.

So do stations deliberately choose which tracks they play back-to-back because they sound better that way, or is it more luck than judgement? And are some stations better than others at getting it right?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Hmmm, that depends on the station. The contacts I have in the industry advise that a good station will employ a music consultant to advise and select tracks for the discerning listener. I know someone who did just that and sanitised the Selector system over a period of a week deleting all the trash.

Half-way house is to vet the Selector lists and manually re-jig.

Other stations, as the ear will tell you, use pot luck !!!

Don't forget that one mans clash of styles will be music to anothers ears!
  • radar72radar72 Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    Virgin do sometimes play good songs back2back depends on the dj
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swl wrote:
    Don't forget that one mans clash of styles will be music to anothers ears!

Oh yes, I realise that. But in the case of Virgin going from The Streets straight into the B52s without anything to ease the transition, it was a real fingernails-on-blackboard moment. They are both good tracks, just not good together.

Or maybe it was music to other listeners' ears?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    radar72 wrote:
    Virgin do sometimes play good songs back2back depends on the dj

I get the impression that on Virgin every track is nicely sorted on a computer, they just read somthing then press a button and then sit back and watch the telly. I could be wrong, though.
  • radar72radar72 Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    Better not make the job to hard for them