Options

Chris Evans

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
Forum Member
Messing about online recently, found some old Chris Evans clips from his R1 shows. They seemed so fresh and funny compared to nearly all current DJ's. I think someone should try and get Mr Evans back behind a mic cos we are missing out on a radio talent. He's calmed down a lot since marrying and I think still has a lot to offer. The Bring Back Chris Campaign starts here. Anyone with me?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    I agree with you whole heartedly , Chris Evans was the only show I "had" to listen to.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Chris was fantastic when he first started on R1, there were some wonderful shows that were compelling listening - (England to wear red in the Euro 96 semi final, Dan to marry his missus and whether Dan's rabbit should have the snip or not being ones I especially remember). Sadly towards the end the show got completely unlistenable to IMO, I remember full half hours just taken up with him and his mates talking. I'd love to see him back , just so long as it was Chris of the early days and not the last few months of his R1 show. Although I'd love to hear him and Billie do 'Round at Chris and His Missus' from Saturday mornings on LBC (just before he went to the Big Breakfast).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Round at Chris' was on GLR, but agreed it would be awesome to have that back.

Of course Danny Baker 'wrote' most of the ideas for The Chris Evans breakfast show.

James
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 15,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Count me in!

I read in The Sun (not really official, i know) that now that all his TV ventures have failed a close friend has said Chris is looking to return to presenting on radio and then television.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Round at Chris' was on GLR, but agreed it would be awesome to have that back.

Of course Danny Baker 'wrote' most of the ideas for The Chris Evans breakfast show.

James

You're right, sorry, getting my London stations mixed up :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I dont live in London. What was this show all about then? Round at Chris' I mean.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Round at Chris' was great. It was Saturday and Sunday mornings on GLR. In the studio was Chris, Carol Mcgiffin (Chris' then wife), Andy Davies (who now prodices Jonathan Ros on Radio 2) .... and a studio full of listeners. Was the highest rated local radio show in the country at one point.

Feature included 'Tickle your Trout' (couples on the phone, the men tickling their partners, er, trout on air), 'The Kids are Alright' (a quiz for kids), 'Billy' (just shouting BILLY out of car windows) and many other regulars. I remember them once filling half hour of a show with a debate and phone-in about whether you wiped your backside from front to back or back to front...... great radio. Chris dropped Sundays when he started on the Big Breakfast, then lost the 'with his missus' when he lost his missus!

It did make it nationally, firstly as 'Too Much Gravy' on Radio 1 on Sunday afternoons (many years before the breakfast show) which was basically interviews and repeats of the best bits of the GLR shows. Then he moved over for the launch of Virgin (many years before getting the breakfast show and buying the station) as 'The Big Red Mug Show' on Saturday mornings (which was taken over by Jonathan Ross and then - sort of - transferred to Radio 2 where he is today)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i remember him doing some pretty funny stuff on "Power Up" the breakfast tv show on BSB in the early days. Me half (now thieved by Pants & Dec) the stunt man "Completely K-nackered" and the memorable chilly willy song.......which I've forgotten! :-) Just how did that song go again?????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Listening to Boogie (Forth 1)and his 80's classic. Is that not an old Chris Evans jingle? I'm positive Ive heard that before. Didn't current Forth PC Nik Goodman used to be involved with Virgin? He must have nicked it!
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, when he was on form he was one of the best presenters ever. But I remember when his breakfast show was simulcast on Sky and although it was interesting to watch in an anoraky way it just wasn't fun like his shows on GLR were.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    DJMcManus wrote:
    Messing about online recently, found some old Chris Evans clips from his R1 shows.

Whereabouts did you find the clips? Just a rough indication if you're not allowed to post an actual address. That was the first radio show I actually listened to on a regular basis, he was never as good on Virgin I didn't think, I wonder if any radio station would even have him now though, I mean he hasn't exactly got an excellent track record when it comes to work ethics :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The clips are at radiorewind.co.uk Just scroll down the page and click on the name Chris Evans.
    Take your point Snade about his track record but it has to be worth the risk for someone doesn't it?? Most DJ's on radio in Britain are either "pop-a doodle-doo" types or "that was-this is" merchants. Its almost as if the powers that be dont want DJ's with personality any more.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It did make it nationally, firstly as 'Too Much Gravy' on Radio 1 on Sunday afternoons (many years before the breakfast show)

I remember that. It was 1992 wasn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member

James

If you can get BBC London, Danny Baker is currently great on the morning breakfast show (although on holiday for another week :( )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Evans was outstanding. I used to actually just wake up a few minutes before 7am without an alarm clock! just so I could listen to his Radio 1 show!

sadly miss DJs like Chris. I thought Chris Moyles introduction to breakfast on radio 1 may have sparked a return to radio in Evans' day, not so.

Yes, I heard those clips a while back, and boy they sound great dont they? *smiles*

he's the reason I want to work in radio, and I set up a station for students like myself, at our uni!
  • Options
    snossissnossis Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJMcManus wrote:
    the memorable chilly willy song.......which I've forgotten! :-) Just how did that song go again?????

Something like.........

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiits Chilly Willy Wear a pullover weather,

Jack Frost, Get Lost, Go Way Never Come Back!

CLAP

And make us cold,

We would've bought a sweater but they've all been soooooooolllld!

Difficult to relate without the music - but I remember him doing it on TV-MAYHEM on Saturday mornings on TVam
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah what memories that brings back! Definitely first heard it on Power Up on BSB. Now if only there was audio of the song:-) Anyone?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    Wasn't the big red mug show taken over by Paul Ross and Jono Coleman - I can't remember in which order. That show wass on a Saturday. When Jonathon Ross went to Virgin his show was on a Sunday (produced of course by Andy Davies as was the Chris Evan's GLR show....
    ....Another classic feature of which was 'London's Loudest Humming Thing!!!!!!!!!!'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ' What do we shout?.........Tickle Your Trout!!!'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJMcManus wrote:
    Listening to Boogie (Forth 1)and his 80's classic. Is that not an old Chris Evans jingle? I'm positive Ive heard that before. Didn't current Forth PC Nik Goodman used to be involved with Virgin? He must have nicked it!

Correct - Nik Goodman used to be Deputy Programme Director at Virgin.