Telewest Blueyonder - Free Bandwitdh Upgrade!

I have reports that within the next two or three week Telewest will announce that all the boardband packages will be upgraded..

Like NTL...

512k will become 700kb/sec or 750kb/sec
the 1MB will become 1.5Mb/sec
and the 2 will become 3Mb/sec

I presume this would be for the same reason NTL did this. Marketing. Also Telewest's brand values is "Broadband Leadership"... Time will tell.!!!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,440
    Forum Member
    Where did you hear that?

Let's hope it's true in any case
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    on the grape vine... ; ) if I findout anymore i'll let u know.. but it kind of makes sence. do u think?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will you still benfit from the upgrade if you use the Wireless self install option??
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,695
    Forum Member
    I assume you meant to post this on April 1? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL Probably was meant to be April 1st actually.

Since when have Telewest done anything in favour of their current customers, all I keep hearing is them trying to get new customers by enticing them with offers.

Ive been having constant internet problems with my internet for the past 2 months and still no sign of any improvement.

If this happens to be true I'll take it back but I would be very surprised.
  • PapyrusPapyrus Posts: 3,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know whether 256k will be upgraded to 384k or something..?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would they do that, i can't see them handing out more speed for no more money. However i can see them starting a 4meg service for more money
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be good eventually when they start a 1GB service.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah but not so good when they charge you £200 per month for it :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably eventually there will be 500GB per second, 1GB per second, and 2GB per second probably priced the same as now.
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not sure how likely it actually is, but it does kind of make sense - they stay competitive, but carry on taking in the same revenue.

Iain
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    well,, I wonder if the monthly announcement will say anything about the bandwidth upgrade... I keep checkin http://status.blueyonder.co.uk but they still havn't posted the new monthly update...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't read too much into this thread!!! Blueyonder prices are already quite competitive, Telewest are about making money, increasing bandwith while maintaining the same price means smaller profit margins? Bandwith upgrades announced in monthly updates on the website are most likely to be due to ensuring the network can cope with the growing customer base!

I could see the 512k service being changed to a 600k service like NTL have but nothing more than this. NTL are rumoured in other forums to be increasing the price for 1mbit (I haven't checked those threads over the last week so ther may be more news on that), so as for TW offering more for the same price, I can't see it?

As for 3-4mbit services launching, don't get your hope's too high! Though while there will obviously be some demand for this service it is likely to be very small. TW only have a few thousand 2mbit customers now, the average user doesn't even need this much bandwith. They will launch something like this one day, but I can't see it happening this year. The british broadband market need to marture more, plus there aren't enough services and applications out there to drive demand for these higher speeds. One day though, it will be different!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for 3-4mbit services launching, don't get your hope's too high! Though while there will obviously be some demand for this service it is likely to be very small. TW only have a few thousand 2mbit customers now, the average user doesn't even need this much bandwith.

I agree totally. I churned out of 2Mbit/s last month due to the law of diminishing returns: not enough servers out there can keep up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    law of diminishing returns

We don't do none of that fancy talk around here!!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bokboy wrote:
    law of diminishing returns

We don't do none of that fancy talk around here!!

:D

I'm sure you get what I mean, though: it no good having 2Mbit/sec if the server to which you're connecting will only let you download at 800kb/sec. I bumped into this quite a lot, and decided 2Mbit/sec wasn't worth it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,440
    Forum Member
    freshlad wrote:
    I have reports that within the next two or three week Telewest will announce that all the boardband packages will be upgraded..

.....still waiting.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member

I think he misunderstood some comment from the NT&IT section of Oneline!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will the bandwidth upgrade be on Blueyonder Broadband Wireless self install aswell?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will the bandwidth upgrade be on Blueyonder Broadband Wireless self install aswell?

No it won't but only because this ain't gonna happen...... period........ for anyone.

The numbers involved are just too great for it to be cost effective for TW to do. All the packages would have a 50% hike in Download speed, and apart from the prices for 512Kbps, where the price should be nearer £20 than £25, there is no problem with marketing the services.

I will publicly say I am completely wrong if it does happen (and congratulate TW for the move also) but I'm not holding my breath.

As for the mention of 256Kbps, that has only just been launched and there is no way on God's earth they would change the speed of that so soon after launch.
    If a major shakeup were planned I would have thought the introduction of 256Kbps would have been a part of it and the cother changes would have been announced at the same time. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Dream on freshlad.

Dream on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    I was told a similar rumour 3 years ago when I got my broadband installed by the wire monkey who did the installation. My work colleague was told the same 2 years ago when he got broadband installed, again by the installer.

We're still waiting, like everything with TW, it's probably 'coming soon'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    shawad wrote:
    I was told a similar rumour 3 years ago when I got my broadband installed by the wire monkey who did the installation. My work colleague was told the same 2 years ago when he got broadband installed, again by the installer.

We're still waiting, like everything with TW, it's probably 'coming soon'

Excuse me, but the rumour did not originate from Telewest, so what are you on about?

I suggest you backtrack your sources and find out who the person was that actually started the rumor before you start pointing the finger of blame at people that had nothing to do with the rumour in the first place!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    lilbit137 wrote:
    Excuse me, but the rumour did not originate from Telewest, so what are you on about?

I suggest you backtrack your sources and find out who the person was that actually started the rumor before you start pointing the finger of blame at people that had nothing to do with the rumour in the first place!

Eh? What the f are you on about?

I was TOLD by a TELEWEST EMPLOYEE 3 years ago, as was my friend. I don't need to backtrack, I'm pointing out that these rumours have been flying about for ages...

I suggest you backtrack and actually read posts before replying
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like your mate was talking bollocks. Just because he's an employee, doesn't mean he can't make stuff up or pass on chinese whispers like anyone else!!