Options

Automatic webstar resetter program

SchismSchism Posts: 2,601
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi

In view of recent posts about DX100 modems crashing (along with my own), I have written a small (32kb) program that resets the Webstar DX100 series modem automaticly when the internet connection goes down.
Here is a brief outline of what it does:

o Pings a website (can be changed) every x number of seconds.
o Counts a number of consecutive timeouts
o Resets the modem using the URL link provided previously on this forum if the timeouts exceed the number specified.
0 Runs on any Computer that is indirectly (on the LAN) or directly connected to the modem.
0 Option to switch off modem resetting, so it can be used as any standard internet checker on the LAN.

It does not run in the sys tray although if there is enough interest, I can add that later, however it will display the status in the title bar while it is minimised. I may also add a log.txt so that the internet dropping is logged, may come in handy for evidence when ringing blueyonder!

I have ONLY tested it in Windows XP, and as far as I know only works with the DPX100. I cannot guarantee full functionality in other OS's or other webstar modems. (provided the 192.168.100.1 link works with your modem, there are no issues).

Here is the link for the proggy (you will have to copy and paste the link to your browser cos it is too long)

Would be interested in any feedback...and any bugs of course :eek:

http://www.stephencharnock.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Internetchecker/InternetChecker.exe

Cheers

A bloke

(thanks to steve for using his webspace :))

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wouldnt the constant pinging cause the modem to slow down in general?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Compared to p2p, a 32 byte ping packet every 15 seconds is insignificant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok ill give it a try, im using a dpx110 but hey worth a shot :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Neat little program!
    Have only just run it so don't know if it cures my problem, but on a normal day I have to reset the modem at least 4 times.
    I have the program mentioned in the other posts as a link on my browser and just click that when the modem froze and that would get it running again in about 5 secs.
    I guess this just automates it, I've put this in the quick launcher and just click it when ever I open my browser , a txt. log and sys tray running would really be useful, let us know if you do it.
    Cheers!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance of posting the source code (or sticking it on your site)? I'll have a go at porting it to Un*x if you like. What's it written in?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have fixed some small bugs and inlcuded as log text file which manifests iteself in the c:\ root directory. It will keep a score of connected, no reply & modem reset.

The updated (v1.1) version has been uploaded.

Program Written in VB6 (so no need for .net framework). As for the source code, post or write to me here a_bloke1@hotmail.com and I will sort it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    yay ! good work !

wonder if it's possible to have the option of pinging every second, and change the byte size. ( I ping using 1 byte... which is enough I guess.. ??)

I haven't exactly used your program yet, am using host monitor to do it, ideally I want to ping every second ( I ping my gateway cause it's the 1st hop after the modem) and reset the modem after 2 timeouts, and wait for connection to be back up again before being able to reset the modem again. ( so it doesn't reset the modem while it's reconnecting...)

Is it possible to do something like that ?
    THANKS !!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Thanks "A Bloke"!
    Had gone the entire day with out a reset, so could'nt tell if it was working but I just lost the net and your little program kicked it back into life in seconds, well cool!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hcetigol,

Although it is possible to change the number of bytes, have never really messed with the ping ICMP protocol and can't think of any reason why you would want to. The ping cannot be less than 5 seconds due to the pulse timer, I had undesirable things happen when it was set lower than 4 seconds. To ping interval every second is not possible becuase the echo request is 1.5 seconds, > 5 seconds is really a the most stable option..

The timeout can be set as low as 1 but if you are running heavy p2p applications like emule, it is not uncommon to receive 2 consecutive timeouts, especially on 512 broadband.

The program does not check connectivety after a reboot, it merely waits 40 seconds for the modem to reboot, assumes everything is cool and then carries on.

I have recently (this evening) crunched the log settings so that it only logs a record after 5 successful pings, this is due to the txt file getting very large after a days use. This version has been uploaded.

Thanks for your comments, i will make any changes suggested, provided they are reasonable requests of course! :)

A Bloke
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    has anyone got it to work on the DPX110? I tried but it doesnt make it work again. If I unplug the lead and plug it back in it works in about 5 seconds. If I use the link that the program goes to when it tries to reboot it, I get page cannot be displayed, If I try and use the link while the modem is working fine it just causes the status light to flash for ages :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you type the link http://192.168.100.1 into your browser, do you get the webstar main page? Are you using USB or ethernet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    V1.2 has now been uploaded, it now minimises to the sys tray and the icon changes when connected/disconnected. Each day now has a separate log file (located in c:\ root directory).
  • Options
    PapyrusPapyrus Posts: 3,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris110 wrote:
    has anyone got it to work on the DPX110? I tried but it doesnt make it work again. If I unplug the lead and plug it back in it works in about 5 seconds. If I use the link that the program goes to when it tries to reboot it, I get page cannot be displayed, If I try and use the link while the modem is working fine it just causes the status light to flash for ages :(
    I've got a DPX100... Do users suffer problems with this modem? Are the DX110 and DPX110 the same modem?

Questions? Questions?

Luckily enough I've not experienced any probs,.. yet. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good question, I had to check to make sure I hadnt made a typo. I do indeed have the DPX110 and had no idea a DX110 existed! hmm

And I am connected by ethernet and the link actually worked when I tried it last, not sure why it wasnt before. Since phoning Telewest just over a day ago and they blamed my router :rolleyes: I havent had a disconnection...A whole 1 and a half days! It must be a miracle. If it does start to go again I'll be making use of this neat little program and making more calls :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    thanks very much for taking the time and effort to write this app and share it with us.

i've installed it and it seems to work sometimes pinging every 5 secs on 1 timeout. unfortunately it cannot reset the modem on occasion as because the modem has "crashed", the IP http://192.168.100.1 is unreachable (iexplore reports; cannot find server) :cry:

i have been suffeing from this nasty Webstar problem for quite a while also, and after much reading have come to the conclusion that the problem is caused by continuous heavy upload traffic. i think the problem could be completely resolved by stopping all outbound traffic for a fraction of a second from the machine that is sending it. a parameter could be set to do this every x minutes.

if i could code better i'd try and implement this. anyone think it might work? and what's been happening when other peeps have been running the internet checker app?

thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In that original post (which I cant edit), it says DX100, that is a typo. On my modem it says DPX100 series. The DPX100/110 operate the same firmware (1.05.r2). You can read more about the Firmware functionality (including Gscan) here....

http://www.pc2k.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/training/105r2.htm

If changing your IP address to static 192.168.100.x solves the 'cannot be found' problem then I can add this to the program (i don't know how this will affect ICS until i try it though) .

Intenet Checker is now able to tell if the page has been reached - I can add a subroutine that will temporarily staticly assign the IP to your PC if the page fails to load....

If somebody could try the static method to see if it solves this issue then that would be Gr8....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New version available :)

o program now installs, due to adding runtime components

o New GUI

o Modem reset is embedded (does not open the browser)

o View log button

o Reset modem button
  • Options
    PapyrusPapyrus Posts: 3,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to all for the replys. :)

And well done for all your hard work, especially to A Bloke. ;):)

I love you guys.
    :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Bloke wrote:
    New version available :)

Hi, I mailed you but the mail server on that machine was up the swanny ($%^& Red Hat 7) so I don't know if it got through.... in any case, plain text is good, I'm thinking of doing a Perl port (minus GUI, it's not the Un*x way!) as a proof-of-concept as Perl is pretty much ubiquitous. Maybe bung a web frontend on it later for admin purposes. If you're still keen on having it ported, that is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mithy73, I got your mail okay - i will sort the code out tomorrow :D,

Anybody out there who gets 'page cannot be displayed' when the modem crashes after using the reset URL, please try using a static IP address 192.168.100.11 and try again - if this works let me know so I can try something
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Bloke,

Congradulations for coming up with a nice little utility.

But may I advise anyone using this utility that it is not fixing anything at all. It is only masking a genuine problem that if left unchecked, could become serious enough that your connection to the internet may be lost alltogether.

The plain simple fact is that the cable modem should only have to be reset only once in a great while.

The best and easiest way to pin down what is the cause of an intermittant connection is:

1. Restart the PC ONLY. Connection came back? It's a 99% chance the PC is the issue. Have it taken a look at by someone who really knows what they are doing and not someone who knows the meaning of a few acronyms and thinks they're God.

2. If the connection is lost still after doing the above, then UNPLUG THE CABLE MODEM'S POWER for about 10 seconds and plug it back in. Did the connection come back? Good. The issue was with either the cable modem or the network itself. Is the problem happening every day? Or even every other day? Then call tech support so that they can put a monitor on the cable modem and your connection. The monitor will unearth the reason for the disconnection so that a PROPER fix can be made. For a monitor to be done, it will be neccessary to escalate the ticket to "2nd line" to have this done.

It may be worth mentioning as well that with this utility, if the url you are pinging makes logs of things like this, and you are pinging the url day after day, week after week, month after month, eventually you may have them asking you personally why you take such a strong interest in their website as this could be considered by some to be the start of a DOS attack.

My motto is fix it correctly and don't mask the problem.

lilbit
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lilbit137 wrote:
    It may be worth mentioning as well that with this utility, if the url you are pinging makes logs of things like this, and you are pinging the url day after day, week after week, month after month, eventually you may have them asking you personally why you take such a strong interest in their website as this could be considered by some to be the start of a DOS attack.
    lilbit

Small (SOHO) network administrators may keep an ICMP log, however it is generally only used to troubleshoot network connectivety.
    I could not think of any reason why an admin would consider it a DOS attack or an onset of a DOS attack.

Pinging a 32byte packet every 10 seconds constantly for 24 hours, would use around 250kb of host server resources. Which is about the same as loading a few webpages.

A DOS attack using ICMP flooding is something like 10 'ping bots' pinging 15 pings per second with a packet size of 65500 bytes ad therefore has no significance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit it did cross my mind, especially as some people were mentioning pinging sites every 1 second but I didnt think it would cause that much of a problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    ta A BLOKE

It's really nice of you to make this up and distribute it for free to help others out.