Options

Freeview Doing Well in Ireland

gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
Forum Member
✭✭
Just read the DS artical about how well Freeview doing near the border of Northern Ireland. 100,000 is pretty good considering that the most successful programmes get a high of around 1 million compered to our 15 mill! Could Freeview launch all over Ireland with the main Irish channels to replace our main 5? And is that 100,000 included in the 3 million boxes sold altogether?

Edit: Is this a duplicate?

Comments

• Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gottago wrote:
    Just read the DS artical about how well Freeview doing near the border of Northern Ireland. 100,000 is pretty good considering that the most successful programmes get a high of around 1 million compered to our 15 mill! Could Freeview launch all over Ireland with the main Irish channels to replace our main 5? And is that 100,000 included in the 3 million boxes sold altogether?

Edit: Is this a duplicate?
    The DTG are reporting that a ten channel pillot is due to start from Three Rock in Dublin - broadcasting RTÉ One, RTÉ Network 2, TV3 and RTÉ TG4 as well as 6, probably UIK, channels.

I would guess the 100,000 is included in the total.

I wonder if most of the Freeview line up does make it to Éire, with some programmes blocked.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kev wrote:
    The DTG are reporting that a ten channel pillot is due to start from Three Rock in Dublin - broadcasting RTÉ One, RTÉ Network 2, TV3 and RTÉ TG4 as well as 6, probably UIK, channels.

I would guess the 100,000 is included in the total.

I wonder if most of the Freeview line up does make it to Éire, with some programmes blocked.

if the 6 UK channels are the 5 current analogue terrestrial ones plus ome of BBC Three, BBC Four or ITV 2, shouldn't the UK receive RTE One, Network 2, TV3 or TG4 in return.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    RTE have had plans for a number of years for a DTT service, but mothballed them after the failure of ITV Digital.

Given the difficulty that Sky have had in placing UTV and C4 onto the Republic of Ireland Sky service, due to objections from the Granada-part owned TV3, it is hard to see how RTE can place the core four UK channels onto a DTT service.

Nethertheless I would be glad to take up an Irish DTT service if it materialises. There has been no definite indications that this will happen, or what business model will be pursued with it.

Sky have become synonymous with reliable digital television in the Republic; the two cable companies ntl: and Chorus have had difficulties in rolling out Digital Cable despite having the advantage of UTV and C4 over DSAT. The FTA satellite model has only had a niche appeal so far, mainly to technical minded purchasers.

I am a bit puzzled about the apparent 100,000 purchasers of Freeview living in the Republic. I suspect it's that old sport of many Northerners, dodging the TV licence man. The only place in the Republic that I know of that has reliable DTT reception from Northern Ireland is the east side of Co. Donegal, and I know for certain that my parent's house is one of the very few, if not only house in that part of Donegal that uses DTT from Limavady. Brougher and Divis DTT simply do not reach that far.

By the way, it is only correct to call the Republic "Eire" in the Irish language. It sounds patronising and stupid to our ears when people outside the country use it as shorthand for the Republic of Ireland. Its "Ireland" to us, or "Republic of Ireland" if you insist.
  • Options
    Alex OughtonAlex Oughton Posts: 6,739
    Forum Member
    david16 wrote:
    if the 6 UK channels are the 5 current analogue terrestrial ones plus ome of BBC Three, BBC Four or ITV 2, shouldn't the UK receive RTE One, Network 2, TV3 or TG4 in return.

I think it's unlikely that these will be BBC channels. They'll most likely be commercial channels.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing puzzles me, on the DS report, it says that people near the border are picking up DTT signals from the Newry transmitter, but Newry transmitter is a relay, and does not broadcast DTT. Where did DS get that information from?

Padzter :D
  • Options
    Internet-KidInternet-Kid Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Question: so they would see bbc 1, 2, ITV, 4 and 5?
  • Options
    nexty2nexty2 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Question: so they would see bbc 1, 2, ITV, 4 and 5?
    I live in Northern ireland-
    In the ROI alot of people already get BBC1,2, ITV 1and ch.4. They give you a now/next of them on the Irish equivalent to Teletext/Ceefax. I have seen it for myself aswell when I was staying in the ROI for a while only I think they only had BBC1 and ITV1. None of the ROI get Ch.5. Except mayby border regions. For some reason the Irish don't want it??

I live in Northern ireland
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nexty2 wrote:
    In the ROI alot of people already get BBC1,2, ITV 1and ch.4. They give you a now/next of them on the Irish equivalent to Teletext/Ceefax. I have seen it for myself aswell when I was staying in the ROI for a while only I think they only had BBC1 and ITV1.

lol! We kinda guessed you lived there as you did mention it a few times in your post! :D

What's you're Teletext/Ceefax service called?
  • Options
    neolxsneolxs Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    can anyone verify how far down they are picking up the signal? 100,000 sound like way too many people living near the border which im sure they are not.

I live in County Galway and can pick up Northern Ireland TV with the aerial I have. So it would be intresting to know if I could pick up the digital signal.

By the way, it is only correct to call the Republic "Eire" in the Irish language. It sounds patronising and stupid to our ears when people outside the country use it as shorthand for the Republic of Ireland. Its "Ireland" to us, or "Republic of Ireland" if you insist

Speaking as a Irish person I have no problem with anyone using the word EIRE. And i certainly do not think anyone patronising and stupid to our ears that use it.

Im sure you dont offend the dutch when you refer to holland as the netherlands!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not that people in the Republic don't want Five, it's that the cable providers and Sky don't carry it. Five is only available down the east coast south of Dublin (from Wales) and in the very few parts of County Donegal that can receive it from Sherriff's Mountain relay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Galway? For Digital terrestrial? Not a chance. As a rule of thumb, you would need near mirror like reception from analogue before you would be at the races for DTT.

When you buy any television equipment in Ireland or the UK you are asked for your address, which is passed to TV Licensing. Easiest dodge is to give a friend's or relation's address in "Eire" as the ultimate location. Only three transmitters in Northern Ireland; Divis, Brougher Mountain and Limavady carry Freeview and their range is limited due to co-channel interference with RTE transmitters in "Eire". Forty miles at best is the limit around them.

There is a relay in Newry but it doesn't carry DTT, nor does the relay at Kilkeel which due to the quirks of seapath reception also services much of North County Dublin.

I've tested a Freeview box in various places south of the border and north of Dublin and can tell you that there isn't enough signal even with amplified aerials to get a workable signal, and in any case clashes with RTE's Three Rock transmitter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RTE's Teletext service is "Aertel". TV3's is "Threetext" and TG4's service is "Teacs TG4".

All are available via the four Irish frequencies on Sky, even if you don't have an Irish sub and the programmes are encrypted to you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Just on the topic of who can receive FreeView Services!!!

I live in Newtownabbey, approximately six miles outside of Belfast - this area appears to be a bit of a black whole for FreeView. It is extremely difficult to pick up a signal (so I have been informed). Even the FreeView Website says that you cannot receive transmissions here.

Would anyone know of any plans by FreeView to improve coverage in the NI region - seeing as they appear to be extremely popular here!!??

Just a thought!!

James

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in Armagh, almost 50 miles from Divis, and my reception is mostly good. 4 MUX's come in nice and strong and the picture is almost perfect all the time, very little breakups or sound drop outs. The ITV / Ch 4 MUX is OK, the occasional sound or picture breakup, but not often enough to stop you watching the programmes. The Sky News / UKTV History MUX is the worst, and at that the signal is a third of the way across the bar. The more than occasional sound or picture dropout but again, it would only happen at certain times, so it wouldn't really put you off watching any programmes.

The signal could still be improved though, the highest signal from Divis is for the Sky MUX at 3dB, yet it is the MUX I receive the worst! Funny that... I think all the MUX's should be brought up to 6dB each.

• Options
    tv.marktv.mark Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid in Newtownabbey you are indeed in a problem area for reception. Though you're very close to the main NI transmitter at Divis, the local geography means the signal sails straight over the area which is shielded by the mountain itself. Your analogue TV signal is more than likely to come from the Carnmoney relay.

I don't know of any current plans to add DTT to the relays, and unfortunately I don't even think a large power increase at Divis would help you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    5 Miles from Limavady, reception excellent as you would imagine ebing in spitting distance of the transmitter.

Receive RTE stations perfectly too!
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    You can look at Aertel on the web!

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Picking up Freeview in Mullingar! (60 miles south of Brougher)

I can only pick up 4/6 mux's
    Mux1 90%
    Mux2 50%
    MuxA 10%
    MuxB 10%
    MuxC 60%
    muxD 60%

Mux A & B poor due to Mount Leinster's TV3 & TG4 (ch 23/26)

Mux A&B are mainly for that TUTV system, pity its also ch5
  • Options
    nexty2nexty2 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gottago wrote:
    lol! We kinda guessed you lived there as you did mention it a few times in your post! :D

What's you're Teletext/Ceefax service called?

The Irish have 3 different rext services
    One on two channels
    and 1 each on the other 2

There is
    Aertel - On RTE1 & NET2
    ThreeText - On TV3
    and some Irish language text service on On (I can't remeber the name of it its in Irish :confused: -TG4
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I live in Co Armagh and get a first class freeview signal, very pleased to say that I get good reception on all channels, I also recieve all RTE analogue channels via a second south facing areil, I just hope that if a DTT service starts down south that we can pick it up here in the north as well, I wonder if we will have to buy a second set top box or will the freeview box pick it up? Either way freeview and RTE DTT will offer viewers north and south a good selection of channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where abouts in Co. Armagh do you live, Richard, if you don't mind me asking? I'm from Armagh City myself, and my reception is good, but just down the road it's excellent. I'm just curious as to where in the local area Freeview can be received. What's your RTÉ pictures like aswell?

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I live in Tandragee, my house as you can guess being in Tandragee is on top of a high hill and so has a very good clear line to the Divis transmitter and to the south as well, my RTE picture is 90-95%
  • Options
    megabytemegabyte Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    nexty2 wrote:
    In the ROI alot of people already get BBC1,2, ITV 1and ch.4. They give you a now/next of them on the Irish equivalent to Teletext/Ceefax. I have seen it for myself aswell when I was staying in the ROI for a while only I think they only had BBC1 and ITV1. None of the ROI get Ch.5. Except mayby border regions. For some reason the Irish don't want it??

Actually tens of thousands of homes in south East Ireland get Five via an aerial from the presely Tx in Wales.
    I have it from there and I live in Co Wicklow about 40 miles south of Dublin and we also get perfect freeview from presely here.
    Indeed and don't laugh, I was actually an ITV digital subscriber here in the republic of Ireland and they had no problem with the fact of where I was ( they were clearly desperate for customers :D ).

The fringe reception we get here from wales is actually quite good reception.
    I might point out, Reception of RTÉ is possible over large parts of North Wales and in west and South West wales :)
    I also know of one individual who has good reception of TV3 and TG4 as well as RTÉ one and Network two,in pembrokeshire close to presely pembrokeshire :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    neolxs wrote:

Speaking as a Irish person I have no problem with anyone using the word EIRE. And i certainly do not think anyone patronising and stupid to our ears that use it.

Im sure you dont offend the dutch when you refer to holland as the netherlands!

Well if you were to refer to the Netherlands as Holland they may be pretty annoyed. Holland is just a region within the Netherlands.

Assuming that Holland / Netherlands are interchangable, is like using the term Yorkshire to refer to the whole of England!!!

(Wonder if they watch Freeview in the Netherlands??)
  • Options
    RodneyRodney Posts: 4,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Portadown (although moving a few miles down the road to Craigavon in the next few weeks) and DTT reception is pretty ropey. Then again so is analogue reception. You need a good aerial properly installed to stand any chance at all. Whereas RTE blows in on a bit of wet string from Clermont. I imagine that even if the Southern Irish DTT signal is directed more south than the existing analogue service, you will still be able to rx it across most of counties Armagh and Down.