Options

Premiership on Terrestrial

jaywjayw Posts: 144
Forum Member
BBC got Premiership highlights (Match of the Day) from next season but Earlier this year there was a report that SKY had been instructed by EU competition, that they had to allow a small number (?) of Live Premiership Games on a terrestrial chanel (BBC/ITV/Ch4/Five)

Have I missed the decision on who won those rights, or is it still being discussed

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A well timed post! :p I read in the newspapers sport section that the 8 games have gone out for tender for intrested partys to bid , likely to bid are the BBC (although really they should be spending the £20m on something else) , ITV , Telewest , NTL (telewest might stick them on Bravo but I can't see why NTL might bother to go for them). Setanta the PPV operator is also bidding for the games for PPV purposes.

8 games will be avalaible , dont beleive the EU stuff that they will be top quality becasue most clubs will want to stay loyal to Sky (who have invested a lot in the premiership) so any dreams of Chelsea v Arsenal , Man U v Arsenal should be forgotten about. Also as the rights are from the 4th choice package that means Sky will get to pick the best games on offer than week anyway so most games will be mid-low table affairs and maybe one game with one of the big 3.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without any doubt, great live matches such as Middlesbrough v Southampton, Bolton v Villa and West Brom v Chartlon will enthrall those watching Premiership matches live on BBC or ITV who have no access at all to Sky Sports. :D

In any case Sky Sports hold the contract for all the monster fixtures so they are entitled to show whatever fixtures they like on their sports channels provided they meet the criteria of all teams appearing a minimum or maximum number of times, without the EU getting their filthy hands even filthier by interfering in matters they have no right to do. The EU cannot surely tell Sky Sports what to do.

If you pay your £20 - £30 to Sky Sports you surely have a right to watch all the big fixtures you want. If you don't do so then you surely should only be entitled to see the best of the remaining fixtures of the weekend after Sky Sports have chosen their matches.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    andyk22 wrote:
    A well timed post! :p I read in the newspapers sport section that the 8 games have gone out for tender for intrested partys to bid , likely to bid are the BBC (although really they should be spending the £20m on something else) , ITV , Telewest , NTL (telewest might stick them on Bravo but I can't see why NTL might bother to go for them). Setanta the PPV operator is also bidding for the games for PPV purposes.

8 games will be avalaible , dont beleive the EU stuff that they will be top quality becasue most clubs will want to stay loyal to Sky (who have invested a lot in the premiership) so any dreams of Chelsea v Arsenal , Man U v Arsenal should be forgotten about. Also as the rights are from the 4th choice package that means Sky will get to pick the best games on offer than week anyway so most games will be mid-low table affairs and maybe one game with one of the big 3.
    Setanta?8 quid for Norwich vsMiddlesbrough?Oh YEAH,sure!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Internet-KidInternet-Kid Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    will be a big channel fight........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RTE will be showing regular live games next season which is good news for some of us North of the border and perhaps in West Wales.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Without any doubt, great live matches such as Middlesbrough v Southampton, Bolton v Villa and West Brom v Chartlon will enthrall those watching Premiership matches live on BBC or ITV who have no access at all to Sky Sports. :D

If you pay your £20 - £30 to Sky Sports you surely have a right to watch all the big fixtures you want. If you don't do so then you surely should only be entitled to see the best of the remaining fixtures of the weekend after Sky Sports have chosen their matches.

Quite right, only problem most people support teams outside the 'big three' . I'm a Palace fan , (so wont be in the prem until next season). Thanks to Sky, the service I pay £40 a month for has only shown my team twice so I'v only got to wach 2 big fixtures all season. Both away games, not one single home game which is completly crap.

You can almost gurantee that when we get into the prem we will only get the min 3 games in a season. Sure I like to see the big game Chelsea Vs Arsenal, Arsenal Vs Man U ect. But why is it that the smaller teams allways get screwed over by Sky on a yearly basis? They have acomplete monopoly on English Leauge Football.

Sure the premier league allow other broadcasters to bid for games, but they do so allready knowing Sky are gonna give them a load more cash anyway. Since the Premier league has started the big clubs have looked after themselves (with Skys help) while the smaller (majority of clubs) have been f**ked over,

I'm glad the EU have stepped in other wise if Sky had carried on we would have ended up with the situation of "Sure we will show you in a live game, oh sorry, what it's only against fulham.?! Oh well screw you then. what do you mean your fans pay £40 a month in the hope that youll be on T.V? As long as we get our money why should we give a f**k? (no offence to Fullham fans, just useing you for an example).

ITV can't even show the highlights package at a reasonable time. Reason? Skys contract with football League, which states (and this has nothing to do with ITV itself), A highlights package cannot be shown on another broadcaster while football is being shown on sky. Not nationwide football, ANY football. Wether it be German, Spanish, womens or 5-a-side, doesn't even have to be live. So what do we get? 3am on a monday morning. Cheers Sky. A**holes.

bring on the days when clubs can broadcast league games live (or even delayed!!!!!) over the internet. That way Sky can go f**k themselves.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To make the point giovanni, the smaller Premiership clubs of the likes of Southampton, Portsmouth, Charlton, Bolton and Fulham are unattractive proposition to sell their own rights.

Unfortunatley things have gone too far down the road now to return to the days when every league match in the UK took place every Saturday afternoon at 3pm with no live TV coverage, with Sportscene/Match Of the Day at 10.35pm being the only televised league football of the week other than the rare Wednesday night when Sportscene(again)/Sportsnight came on air.

The en-block deal between the 20 English premiership teams and Sky ensuring all 20 teams having a minimum number of fixtures live on Sky Sports guarantees that all clubs in that league benefit from live television money, and not just the popular most attractive few as would be the case if all the clubs were forced to sell their own TV rights .

It's easy for people to have a pop at Sky all the time, but wasn't it ITV that started all the moving of league fixtures 24 hours in the first place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    david16 wrote:
    To make the point giovanni, the smaller Premiership clubs of the likes of Southampton, Portsmouth, Charlton, Bolton are unattractive proposition to sell their own rights.

Unfortunatley things have gone too far down the road now to return to the days when every league match in the UK took place on a Saturday afternoon at 3pm with no live TV coverage, with Sportscene/Match Of the Day at 10.35pm being the only televised league football of the week other than the rare Wednesday night when Sportscene(again)/Sportsnight came on air.

The en-block deal between the 20 English premiership teams and Sky ensuring all 20 teams having a minimum number of fixtures live on Sky Sports ensures that all clubs in that league benefit from live television money, and not just the popular most attractive few as would be the case if all the clubs were forced to sell their own TV rights .

It's easy for people to have a pop at Sky all the time, but wasn't it ITV that started all the moving of league fixtures 24 hours in the first place.
    dead right.the smaller clubs don't have a big enough fan base for PPV.there's no 'overspill'for the likes of charlton,fulham or leicester,whereas man utd,liverpool,aresenal,newcastle could easily get 20 thousand extra fans in if they had the capacity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    surely this situation can only be good for everyone involved:

Sky still win cos people will want to see the big games and as people see the matches on terrestial they will see how good the premiership is and subscribe to sky.

Whoever wins the rights to the extra games will win because any form of football on television is a money spinner.

The clubs who wouldn't normally get shown on sky as much will be shown on terrestial hence giving them more money.

The bigger clubs will still get the bigger bucks from getting shown more on sky.

The premier league overall will win because their will be more money around for teams and people watching the terrestial matches will see the high quality that the premiership has and encourage more people to support football.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote:

The en-block deal between the 20 English premiership teams and Sky ensuring all 20 teams having a minimum number of fixtures live on Sky Sports guarantees that all clubs in that league benefit from live television money, and not just the popular most attractive few as would be the case if all the clubs were forced to sell their own TV rights.

Yes,but hasn't anyone noticed how Sky will show the smaller teams or those that look as though they're going to have a poor season as many times as possible in the early part of the season so they can get them out of the way and then not bother with them so they can concentrate on the big boys. I'm a London based Sunderland fan,last season the game with Man Utd on Premiership+ on New Years Day was the last time we were on tv.

Another potential problem with the terrestrial deal being reported in this weekends papers is that the police are likely to block BBC/ITV plans to put the games on Saturdays with teatime kickoffs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did the EU actually specify that only analogue FTA channels could bid for these 8 games or are they to be offered to any channel that isn't owned by SKY or has News Corp as a shareholder and regardless of the platform or their FTA/subscription status?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jarrak wrote:
    Did the EU actually specify that only analogue FTA channels could bid for these 8 games or are they to be offered to any channel that isn't owned by SKY or has News Corp as a shareholder and regardless of the platform or their FTA/subscription status?
    It's open bidding from anyone form Setanta PPV to ITV to Flextech (Bravo).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    does anyone no when we will find out which channel gets the games?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I'm a London based Sunderland fan,last season the game with Man Utd on Premiership+ on New Years Day was the last time we were on tv.
    that makes no sense, seen as sunderland were on on saturday
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gunners500 wrote:
    does anyone no when we will find out which channel gets the games?

It will be announced before the end of June.
  • Options
    BCtomBCtom Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote:
    I'm a London based Sunderland fan,last season the game with Man Utd on Premiership+ on New Years Day was the last time we were on tv.

You have been on tele 10 times since that with 4 times this month!

August 2003
    9 N Forest (A) Sky Sports Extra
    12 - League Cup - Mansfield (A) Sky Sports 2
    23 Preston (A) Sky Sports Extra

September
    27 Reading (H) Sky Sports Extra

December
    8 Coventry (A) Sky Sports 1

March 2004
    7 - FA Cup - Sheff Utd (H) Sky Sports 1

April
    4 - FA Cup - Millwall (H) Sky Sports 1
    9 Sheff Utd (H) Sky Sports 1
    18 West Brom (H) Sky Sports 1
    24 Wigan (A) Sky Sports 2
  • Options
    Colino GreenColino Green Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andyk22 wrote:
    It's open bidding from anyone form Setanta PPV to ITV to Flextech (Bravo).

I don't understand
    :confused:

Wasn't the whole point of this ruling that only FTA stations could bid for the 8 FREE live games?
  • Options
    FastFurious65FastFurious65 Posts: 1,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

The rule is not for 8 FREE GAMES, the rule is for 8 games that are shown on another channel other then Sky. That could mean BBC, ITV, Setanta, Playboy...

Well maybe not Playboy. They would more likely go for the women's football, but the other 3 certainly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stupot3000,BCtom,if you read my post again you will see I said LAST SEASON! Meaning we were not on tv between the Man Utd game on New Years Day 2003 and the end of LAST SEASON.
  • Options
    BCtomBCtom Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok ok, I'll let you off. However you've gotta admit that it wasnt very clear you were meaning it in that way.

"I'm a London based Sunderland fan, last season the game with Man Utd on Premiership+ on New Years Day was the last time we were on tv."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    soz PhilH36, my mistake
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apology accepted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ariusuk wrote:
    It will be announced before the end of June.
    Are you confident ITV can make a good offer for the rights then Arius?
    Would go well with ITV's portfolio I guess.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it will be one of ITV, BBC, Flextech (Bravo) or Setanta - I can't believe anyone else will have the money for it.

BBC have been spending heavily on sport recently - they've bought four more years of MotoGP, five of Six Nations Rugby, and are about to spend quite a bit on horse racing, just to keep the Grand National.

With a big bill for Premiership highlights (which they aren't even getting to show before Sky) on the way, I can't see them having enough cash left to win a bidding war.

You are right that it would go well with ITV's portfolio - and with ITV's policy of event television (showing occasional big games, rather than anything more regular).

People argue that because these games are from the Bronze package, they will always be Middlesbrough v Manchester City type games. What they forget is that Sky can only show one live game on a Saturday, and because of the difficulties of moving games to Sunday/Monday in Champions League weeks, there will be a number of occasions when Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United have to play on a Saturday.
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote:

People argue that because these games are from the Bronze package, they will always be Middlesbrough v Manchester City type games. What they forget is that Sky can only show one live game on a Saturday, and because of the difficulties of moving games to Sunday/Monday in Champions League weeks, there will be a number of occasions when Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United have to play on a Saturday.

well seeing as sky have all the packages they can just pick the 4 fixtures they want. They won't have to make sure they pick the top game first and show it at the aloted time for the top package.

Though hopefully they'll be another 1 or 2 games live on non uk tv FTA too. Top channel and TV sport Ro have been super.