Options

SuperBowl coming to ITV

SweetCheaterSweetCheater Posts: 944
Forum Member
✭✭
Oh My God!! :eek:

ITV1 has apparently signed a 3 year deal for terrestrial rights to the SB, beating out Five.

They're also going to show play-off highlights but no other live games.

Wonder what that will do to Five's regular season coverage? Hope NASN gets the live Sunday night games on ESPN!! :D

SC

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh My God!! :eek:

ITV1 has apparently signed a 3 year deal for terrestrial rights to the SB, beating out Five.

They're also going to show play-off highlights but no other live games.

Wonder what that will do to Five's regular season coverage? Hope NASN gets the live Sunday night games on ESPN!! :D

SC

what is "Super Bowl" ?
    Is it a Smallville spin-off ? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear...
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not an American football fan, but It's absolutely shocking if ITV are to win the terrestrial contract from Channel 5, but show absolutely no live games at all other than the Superbowl game itself.

So like BBC try brainwash everybody into thinking there's only one tennis tournament per year takes place for 2 weeks late June to early July despite 46 other events worldwide each year, and only one man in contention for it despite there also being 127 other world class men's tennis players in the same event, ITV will now try to brainwash everybody who only has analogue terrestrial into thinking there's only one American football match takes place each year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    who gets digital rights?
  • Options
    hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not sure if this a good thing. I will wait and see what happens with the regular season before I can decide if I think this a good idea. If Itv do show some comminment to the regular season then it could be a good thing for the growth of the game however if as I suspect that ITV are only interested in the Super Bowl (and half time show) but pass on the regular season then this is a terrible decsion by the NFL. Either way i can't see five wanting to continue now as when 4 droped the sport five were the only terrestrial channel interested but now that ITV come running with the money the Nfl turn there backs on them.
  • Options
    dsweetenhamdsweetenham Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a look on NFL.com yesterday when I saw the story on Mediaguardian and it said SKY SPORTS will still cover the regular and post season live and terrestrial regular season coverage will be announced at a later date. Guess they are trying to persuade ITV to take some even if its a short highlights show each week. Im glad because when I was at uni i didnt have C5 and that was damm annoying! Perhaps as with the tour de france they will increase coverage if it proves popular and more importantly for them profitable.
  • Options
    DemonLemonDemonLemon Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote:
    So like BBC try brainwash everybody into thinking there's only one tennis tournament per year takes place for 2 weeks late June to early July despite 46 other events worldwide each year, ................
    It's not the BBC trying to brain-wash anyone. Why on earth would they want to do that? It's because as the UK's biggest tennis event, it is currently protected from being snatched by the pay channels, and has a reserved position on FTA terrestrial television, in fact, I believe its place is currently reserved on analogue terrestrial, but I stand to be corrected. I don't believe that restriction ties it solely to the BBC, and Channels 4&5 and ITV are free to bid for those rights.

Really, this notion that the BBC is out to brain-wash us is somewhat tiresome, not to say childish.
  • Options
    BCtomBCtom Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    back to the original topic of conversation

http://www.nfleurope.com/news/2004/05072004_story.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    on dear,another sport for ITV to cock up:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We need some non-PPV NBA action now
  • Options
    dsweetenhamdsweetenham Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think ITV muck up all sports. Their F1 coverage is in a different league and the Premiership after the gimmicky start was an improvement on MOTD that had become stale, and not much different to when the premiership first started in 92/93.

Also if there is some FTA nba coverage hope it is better than the 'anyone got any tissues' broadcast of Jordan's comeback game for the wizards on BBC1.
  • Options
    BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as it means there will be less American football on our screens, then I am happy!! It must be one of the most boring sports around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boring Sports? Yeah right - and I suppose Cricket is a real thrill-fest, right? :p

There is also a possibility that NFL Network is coming to the UK - rumour has it either as NASN 2 or one of the Setanta Sport channels (that never seem to show anything other than Scottish Football once a week)...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boring Sports? Yeah right - and I suppose Cricket is a real thrill-fest, right? :p

QUOTE]
    I bet many people in the street can name a cricketer rather than a NFL player.

If ITV plan on showing NFL games, there should be a show educating us brits on the rules.
    Coz I aint got a clue!
    It's a bit like rugby right?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it’s nothing like rugby. I think thats what screws it up for you brits. The best why to to understand the NFL, is to just watch a game( not a match by the way). It will come.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    No, it’s nothing like rugby. I think thats what screws it up for you brits. The best why to to understand the NFL, is to just watch a game( not a match by the way). It will come.

I tried watching the Superbowl but there seems to be an advert after every stoppage.....it becomes very annoying
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    david16 wrote:
    I'm not an American football fan, but It's absolutely shocking if ITV are to win the terrestrial contract from Channel 5, but show absolutely no live games at all other than the Superbowl game itself.

So like BBC try brainwash everybody into thinking there's only one tennis tournament per year takes place for 2 weeks late June to early July despite 46 other events worldwide each year, and only one man in contention for it despite there also being 127 other world class men's tennis players in the same event, ITV will now try to brainwash everybody who only has analogue terrestrial into thinking there's only one American football match takes place each year.

Actually the BBC do show other tennis tournaments, in March they had live Australian Open coverage during the early morning, plus they always have coverage of the US Open on BBC2 when its on. They also show Davis Cup matches, too.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to admit, ITV did seem to kill the NBC in the UK when they had the rights, and it has never recovered.

When it was on C4 is was great.
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as they don't have Matt Smith to present it. He doesn't fit the part when presenting "Speed Sunday"
  • Options
    trash80trash80 Posts: 21,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote:

do you ever watch BBC? theres load of tennis other than wimbledon on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV1 should be banned from airing sports events. I hope ITV1 don't muck up my favourite sports event of the year just like they did with the F1. The only thing decent sportswise that ITV1 have is Des Lynam. And even he is in talks with the BBC to get back with them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    anything must be better than the channel 5 coverage last season of the superbowl. John Barnes presenting it was nothing short of a joke. He had no american football knowledge at all. The only thing he rambled on about was how the superbowl was similar to the FA cup final.

Hats off to 5 for their quantity of coverage though hope ITV show as many games.
  • Options
    hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does Gary Imlach present the tour de France on ITV? It would be good to see him presenting the American Football again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Imlach does cove the Tour for ITV, and the programme is produced by VTV, which is a sister to company to Sunset+Vine, who produce the NFL for five.

All I can say about this, and someone has mentioned before, is that for the NFL to dump on five after they bought us extended regular season coverage is totally out of order. Unfortunately, the NFL is driven by greed and as long as ITV have offered more money they will forget all the good work done by five and take the cash. As for the 'John Barnes' Superbowl, unfortunately five have not been give the chance to redeem themselves next season. And, thanks to the NFL, we will probably lose the extensive Sunday Night and Monday night coverage.
  • Options
    samandmaisamandmai Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will come.

Not in this household it won't. Just as you don't want our cricket, we don't want your so called "football". Don't get me started on baseball............B-O-O-O-O-R-R-R-I-I-I-I-N-N-N-G-G-!