Options

Sky+ help

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
Forum Member
This is my first post, I'll try and explain the problem as best I can.

I have just had Sky+ installed a couple of days ago and had my old box relocated to another room. But the problem with Sky+ is that when viewing at night time I see vertical lines all the way across the screen they are a sort of shadowy white, or hazy about 1/2 inch in width at 1/2 intervals. They become more apparent on night scenes or when there are foggy scenes. I recorded a clip from one programme but when viewed during day time the lines are not visible. I have tried various scart cables with no improvement.

Had no such problem with old Sky box. Any ideas?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this via Scart connection or RF?
    If via Scart, is it PAL or RGB?
    If Scart, have you disconnected pin 19 at the TV end?
    If Scart, have you tried RF instead?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The connection is via Scart RGB.
    I haven't disconnected any pins
    I have tried RF but the aerial picture has other interference

What does disconnecting pin 19 at the TV end do?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would definitely disconnect the TV composite video output at pin 19 as this can cause interference similar to what you describe. Often a "ghost" picture drifting behind the main picture or else faint bars. There can also be audio interference from the L+R stereo pins.

Also try PAL instead of RGB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sam

Thanks for the info.
    Tried disconnecting the pin 19 at the TV end and also tried PAL, no difference i'm afraid.
    Called Sky who are sending engineer out later this week.
    They think it might be something to do with the scart output from the Sky+ box, which is one of the new Amstrad boxes.
    I must be the most unlucky person going right now.
    TV 36ZD26P Toshiba been exchanged 3 times due to various faults. DVD player Tosh SD530 been exchanged 4 times due to faults and my Amp a Yamaha only 3 weeks old has blown and now this.
    Might go back to my good old 15inch portable!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just seen this thread, fault described sounds same as mine

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=126197
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sky engineer been out today. After doing a few checks his conclusion was that there was a problem with the scart output from the Amstrad box. He exchanged it for a Pace v2 which after viewing during the night gives perfect pictures, with no interference whatsoever.

I'm now very pleased.

The Pace box is smaller than the Amstrad, and to me it seems to give a more natural picture although some people may prefer the Amstrad pictures but compared to the Pace it seemed to have a high contrast setting by default. Plus the Pace is alot quieter aswell, lets see how it fairs in the long run.