Options

Atmosfear DVD Game

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,538
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi everyone!

I didn't really know where to put this as its sot of half electronic/half board game. Does anyone remember the video board game Atmosfear? The one with the crazy gatekeeper who popped up commanding you to do stuff...

Well, after years of waiting they are finally releasing a DVD version. Wonder whats so special about this? Well originally the video would get very boring after a while, as you'd know what happens when. However now with the technology of DVD it can be totally random, he'll pop up when he feels like it, theres millions of different combinations and you really get to interact with him :D

I dont want to turn this post into an ad because i dont intend it to be that way, i just want to inform everyone that this is coming out next month! Its just if you want any more information about it may i suggest you visit http://www.answorld.net/welloffears (hope the mods dont mind :().

Anyway, any views? Does anyone remember this game? :D I cant wait for the new version!

Here is the official site also - http://www.atmosfear.com.au
And heres a trailer for the game - http://www.areyougame.com/demos/atmosfear/atmosfear.htm

Let me know what you think!

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Argh, the site went down and will be for the next week due to maintinence. However, hes a shot of the new box: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/guybrush2001/atmosbig.jpg woo! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    hey exulus.

just wondering if you knew when the well of fears forum will be back up and running??

been trying last couple of days, and wasnt sure if the forum had moved site?

Khufu
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I'm having Well of Fears withdrawl haha, 'cant wait for the game to come out!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as i know it'll be up in a few days time! There was a bit of trouble moving the server but its all up a running, they just gotta get the ips sorted i think..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hey, I remember that game. They're making a DVD now?? That should be interesting. Is it going to be the same guy again? Couldn't tell. How long has this been going on? Anyway there was a video board game Atmosfear and Nightmare. I like the gatekeeper in Nightmare better though. Much more of jerk throughout the video and had more tests. Still have the game Nightmare.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey, I remember that game. They're making a DVD now?? That should be interesting. Is it going to be the same guy again? Couldn't tell. How long has this been going on? Anyway there was a video board game Atmosfear and Nightmare. I like the gatekeeper in Nightmare better though. Much more of jerk throughout the video and had more tests. Still have the game Nightmare.
    Yep DVD is on the way! Different gatekeeper though, however it will be totally interactive with over 300 minigames! :eek: Last Wednesday night there was a chat held with the maker of all the Atmosfear games. The transcript will be put up once the Well Of Fears site comes back up :)

Anyway the DVD should be released around July/August time!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Any word on when the site will be back up? I have new info to post about the DVD game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should be some time this weekend. What new info? PM me, chances are we probably already have it on the mailing list ;)
  • Options
    kacaskacas Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how much will this retail at??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Current estimate is about £25 i think!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oo i wonder if more will be released i missed atmosfear the first time round i was to young
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do we have a release date yet??
    getting a bit excited over this prospect,i always thought it looked amazing when it was out on video
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    umm about July/early August time i believe! :)
  • Options
    ogrynogryn Posts: 3,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes! I have the original in the cupboard behind me. Didn't get any of the add-on videos though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    you can still buy the original and all the add-ons on ebay!! they've got nearly everything on there. you can pick up for about a fiver and they're definetely worth the money. i'll still be playing them long after the dvds come out! (including the dvd one as well, cant wait!)
    there was atmosfear 1 - the gatekeeper, atmosfear 2 - baron samedi (zombie), atmosfear 3 -anne de chantraine (witch), atmosfear 4 - elizabeth bathory (vampire), atmosfear - the harbingers, atmosfear - the soul rangers (add on for the harbingers) and also an atmosfear booster tape, but thats really hard to find and its the only thing im missing :mad: . There was also a pc game called atmosfear: the third dimension. never played it but looks pretty good!
    if youve never played atmosfear before, or you havent got atmosfear 1 (sometimes called nightmare i believe), you need that to play atmosfear s 2, 3 , and 4.
    atmosfear 1 2 3 and 4 are better than the harbingers in my opinion, so if your thinking of buying them, buy these first.

if you're going to be buying the dvd, you need a remote (with numbers on) for your dvd player. ive bought the x-box remote which should be ok. just incase anybody didnt have a remote, go out buy the game then find they cant play it!!

Any news on a sequel to the dvd yet!???

Khufu
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bad news guys....the website is gonna be down for a while yet as the hosting has been cocked up somewhere along the line... :( However you can still join everyone by going to http://groups.yahoo.com and signing up for "nightmarelist". Also, new shots of the game have been placed up there, cheers Demonwolf!

Now for some good news, its going to be released at the end of July here in the UK and will be stocked in most places but specifically Argos, Woolworths and Toys R Us! :D I can't wait.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what's this? a board game with a DVD that randomly tells you to do stuff?

Can someone elaborate seeing as ALL THREE links in the first post are down...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All 3 links in my post are not down :) I just checked and only the first link is down.

Yes, it is a dvd board game which changes EVERY TIME you play. Apparently there are over 300 minigames in it (thats excluding all the random talk anyway). Do you remember the original Atmosfear? With a Gatekeeper who told you to do stuff and you had to collect 6 keys before the hour was up..to win. Well its exactly the same concept but on DVD and hopefully a lot more fun seeing as it'll be totally random, so impossible to learn the *script*!

Unfortunatly the answorld site may be down for a long time...apparently it might work at http://www.answorld.net:88/welloffears although it doesnt seem to be.

Again, if you want to know more sign up to the group list at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/NightmareList/join :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK i cant edit my post above unfortunatly but can i just say that the Well Of Fears is definitely back up :) See my link in the above post..with the 88 bit in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is this released yet or do we hav an official date?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope not released in the UK. Its been released in the USA though...however import fees are MASSIVE so its not worth importing it..just wait patiently :) should be out next month in Argos, Toys R Us, WH Smiths, Woolworths and ASDA..among other places.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just posting to say i have the game now!! Its REALLY good. Heres my review...(copied from http://www.answorld.net:88/welloffears/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=223 )

Ok, here goes. (will contain spoilers, but gatekeeper spoilers will all be listed at the end, you will be given warning!).

I come home from my last ever day of college with a friend, we were going to play the XBOX. Although of course, we didnt! A mysteriously large package was waiting in the living room with Vivid Imaginations Samples stuck over it. My heart lept, Atmosfear™! I tore open the box and there it was.

The box:

The box looks exactly the same as the American one, except with a Vivid Imaginations logo on the front/back instead of Pressman. The back of the box has a website address - www.atmosfearthegame.co.uk - which does work. Amusingly on the back of the box it says "TV not included".

The contents:

The playing pieces are really detailed and made out of colourful plastic, same goes for the keys. The Well Of Fears is really well made too. The cards have a good design on them and look fresh. The board folds out with a cut down one middle. I think the instructions are printed differently to the American version, they are black and white and on a large piece of paper/card (thicker than paper but less thick than card!). The DVD is *specifically* region 2, and says that some of its contents may be unsuitable for children! The dice are ordinary white dice.

The DVD:

When you put the DVD in, you get the usual logos etc, including the Vivid Imaginations one, so it is specifically made for each teritory. I havent read the character bios however they are not videos as i had assumed, simply text which you read. It looks pretty detailed, i'll check it out later.

And now the biggy...

The Game (including sound review and graphics review):

WOW! The beginning sequence is the same as the one in the video trailer, but hearing it in 5.1 is absolutly manic. The bass pounds away at the sofa brutally as you are sent down through the earth to the gatekeeper. I ran the introduction sequence twice, as i was so excited i wanted to see what it was like before we played the game properly. It changed! Yes, even the beginning sequence changes where the gatekeeper introduces himself. I didnt expect that one.

So off we play, let me tell you that there was only two of us, and so we had to choose another person when the gatekeeper asks so we could play. We did not win. The game is deceptively easy! I managed to get every key early in the game, but also the black key. The black key changed hands a fair few times during the course of the game.

The sound buildup is there once more. The tempo increases as you play, until the last few minutes it is actually the same music as you hear on the official site. However, it is in 5.1. This really adds to the game! The heartbeat goes right through you because of the bass, and sound of the sound effects are extremly eerie, wizzing round the room! I heard a few moans, some children screaming and some sudden loud bangs. Made me jump! I cannot emphasise the need for 5.1, it really does add an extra dimension.

Graphically, this game is awesome. I ended up going to Khufus realm at one point and its basically just a load of underground tunnels i think. You see a few egyptian poles with hieroglyphics on them, but not much. To tell the truth you dont actually get much time to look at the screen, unless someone gets a ridiculous amount of free turns! Near the end of the game (say 12 minutes left) you end up circling around this tunnel with different coloured hues to the stones, there are some gaps in the stones with eyes peeping out watching you! I didnt really understand where we were, but it was cool. And then, at about 5 minutes to go, all reality has gone. There are big red clouds with loads of silver keys darting about the screen. The cool thing is, is that when the gatekeeper comes on screen, some of the keys dart about behind him and some infront. Very clever! Same goes to the smoke effects you have seen in earlier screencaps. The smoke does actually look very real. The lava is also not as bad as it looks, it still isnt that great, but not that bad.

The dvd changing scenes, oh dear :( The one drawback. I'm not sure what it was like for anyone else, but my dvd player took about 2 seconds to find the next random scene and carry on playing. It can be distracting, especially near the end of the game where the music really is pumping and then it just stops...and then carries on again. I have a Toshiba something or other, can't remember the make of it right now, but its meant to be a good player. Oh well. Also, this may just be specific to my setup, but when my Sony 5.1 amp is not receiving any sound, it actually cuts off from the source, and when the sound comes back on it takes about half a second to come back. So if the random scene changes and the gatekeeper comes back on asking for Gevauden, you may just hear "DEN! Answer me..." etc. These are my only 2 main drawbacks on the game.

Also, although the Gatekeeper is random, it appears to me that they have still kept the difficulty curve. I was expecting the DVD to pick a gatekeeper moment out of its vast bank, however i think it actually picks them per time segments. So you wont get the gatekeeper dishing out something really evil at the beginning, and you wont get something *less evil* near the end. I thought that was a clever little touch. Then again most people wont notice this.

Gameplay:

Yep, its great! Feels just like the old atmosfears. You do get the rush at the end, even if it is partly because of the music making you go nuts. I do have an issue with the amount of keys you get though. Maybe it was just because there was only 2 people playing, but i managed to get all my keys pretty much within 10 minutes. It seems fairly easy to get a key. I am going to be playing a game with 5 or 6 people tonight so i'll see if this changes! The time cards are great, pretty imaginative as the original Atmosfears were. Same with the fate cards, although you have to read these out aloud now, like in the harbingers (Question: me and my friend got in an argument, as i had to read it out aloud and it said something like roll a certain number to get a key. Does it apply to just me, or to everyone? I thought just me, he thought otherwise).

The gatekeeper:

hmm, well! He is bizzare...thats all i can say. Not too sure on him at the moment but maybe he will grow on me..the mroe i think about him the more i like him though. The script is excellent, its written just how the originals were..no silly choices like in the harbingers. The gatekeeper does sound slightly foreign, i was tyring to see if he sounded spanish in any way, perhaps an indication if thats how they did the spanish version. He sounded like he had an almost Dracula-like accent. Maybe its all part of the show :) He is quite good at acting though, perhaps maybe speaks a bit too fast at the beginning, as you are tyring to listen to his rules and how to play the game..he doesnt pause often and will carry on speaking just after hes said something (ok that sounded daft, but i hope you know what i mean by how dramatic pauses are, and how fake it sounds when you carry on speaking without a pause, kind of like how everyone used to talk to their class in junior school when giving a presentation! :D ).

Gatekeeper spoilers coming up now....

spoilers coming...

Ok, some of the games the gatekeeper plays are great. There are a lot of roll the dice games, including some evil ones. "Roll my number with one dice..what did you roll? Too bad..my number is 7!" etc. My favourite though has to be about 2 minutes before the end. This is an absolute stroke of genius. I can only IMAGINE how insane it must be to do this with 6 people. Basically, because no one had won, he said that when he gives the signal, everyone can grab the keys off the board. Yep, a free for all! I can't wait for that to happen with lots of people. He is generally back to his evil ways as in the old atmosfears, calling people maggots, slugs etc. He made the person winning leave the room at some point, and told everyone else (well..just me this time) to stare at him when he comes back..when he asks why we're staring we get to take a key or something. Brilliant :D Nice to know the original interaction is back.

Conclusion:

This game is great. Get it as soon as you can! I can't say anything other than that ...Atmosfear™ is BACK!

OK, i cant think of anything else to write about. So here endeth possibly the longest post i've ever written. Enjoy reading!
  • Options
    loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,319
    Forum Member
    I bought the Harbingers version off eBay, but it came with no instructions :mad: , so I have no idea about how to set it up, or how to play it :cry: . Anyone able to help?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm, thats difficult to answer because the rules to that are so damn huge!

Actually, on second thoughts, there is a breakdown of the rules on the tape! I cant remember if it is after or before the main part, but it defintiely tells you how to play the game :)

Failing that go to the site mentioned above as i think there are rules in the download section, if not people will be able to help you further on the forums.

edit - here ya go i think - http://www.answorld.net:88/welloffears/rtf/atmosfearrules.rtf

PS the DVD game is now out in Argos/Toys R Us Etc! :D
  • Options
    loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,319
    Forum Member
    Ok thanks.