GDB3 problems

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
Forum Member
Hello,

I have a Goodmans GDB3 box which has been great for the last 6 months. In the last month or so, the box has started turning itself off and freezing when changing channels!! This happens nearly every day! A friend said this may be due to the launch of TUTV. Can anyone help please? My box is running v3.2 software.

Many thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    I am having exactly the same problem. Change channel, picture goes white and box re-boots. Very annoying, looks like topuptv might be the culprit
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in the same boat. I did wonder if it was anything to do with the arival of 8-day EPG data from London overloading things but that seems unlikely.

Not long after Top Up TV arrived, I did have problems getting some of the muxes when I did a rescan - now I have them, everything is being ridiculously unreliable.

I mostly have problems when using a channel that has MHEG associated with it - given I listen to the radio a lot, this is rather annoying.

I have tried deleting channels but it still dies regularly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I tried deleting the TUTV channels but that failed!
    I have read on the BBC's site today that they recommend re-scanning for channels with the aerial un-plugged!! This apparently clears the memory, then re-scan with aerial plugged in!! I will try this when i get home!
    Bet it dont work!!
    Forum Member
    just tried that, lasted 20 minutes before it crashed again.

Is there a software download going on at the moment?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a download for the GDB2 only.
    Forum Member
    ok, so shouldnt be that causing the problem. This is a real problem now as I have two of these boxes! The one on my upstairs telly has just frozen 4 times in the last hour, it has been perfect until the last month.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've sent a private message to "Goodmans" who works for Goodmans funnily enough and who does appear on the GDB2 thread. However he's not been around very much of late so whether I'll get a speedy answer I don't know.

Can I just ask what version of the software you're running - I'm on 3.2 which is, as I understand it, the most recent.
  • chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    I've sent a private message to "Goodmans" who works for Goodmans funnily enough and who does appear on the GDB2 thread. However he's not been around very much of late so whether I'll get a speedy answer I don't know.

Can I just ask what version of the software you're running - I'm on 3.2 which is, as I understand it, the most recent.

When you say 3.2, do you actually mean 3.11.

This has puzzled me quite a bit, as mine is 3.11, and i don't have any of these problems.

Is it possible your box is too warm (could be due to warm weather)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chris2k2 wrote:
    When you say 3.2, do you actually mean 3.11.
    This has puzzled me quite a bit, as mine is 3.11, and i don't have any of these problems.

It just says 3.2 in the config menu - didn't think they'd ever released 3.11 for the GDB3 but I'm just going off the GDB2 thread and could be mis-remembering.
    Is it possible your box is too warm (could be due to warm weather)

I got my box last September when it was a lot warmer than it has been of late as I recall.
    Forum Member
    I have version 3.2!
    I have just phoned the Goodmans customer support number, and they are only open till 4pm so I shall try tomorrow!

Hadnt thought about over-heating, i have a large(ish) gap above and behind my box and like I said in my original post, has been totaly trouble free until last month!!!
    Forum Member
    So there is a 3.2 then, i just thought some people referred it as 3.11 (in roman terms).

Do you leave your box on constant (never on standby), try switching off for a while.

However, maybe it is a 3.2 bug.

Does anyone who has the problem, running 3.2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I regularly put the box into standby whenever I'm not using it. I've also tried pulling the old plug out of the wall and leaving it offline for a few minutes.

Tonight I'm going to try doing a full first time install without the aeriel in just in case, but I am not holding out much hope.
    Forum Member
    g00ner27 wrote:
    I have version 3.2!
    I have just phoned the Goodmans customer support number, and they are only open till 4pm so I shall try tomorrow!

Hadnt thought about over-heating, i have a large(ish) gap above and behind my box and like I said in my original post, has been totaly trouble free until last month!!!

It is possible for the box to get too warm, that it can damage certain components, etc.

If the components are slightly damaged, when they become warm, they can become faulty.

(Just like a pc can when it gets warm).
    Forum Member
    you reminded me of another problem...

I used to leave box on 24/7 and when the problems started i thought i would turn it off over night! When I try and turn the box off (via remote), it turns off and about 5 seconds later turns back on again!!!
    It usualy turns off on the next attempt!
    I went away the other weekend and turned the whole lot off at the mains for 48hours, still didnt cure it! Maybe there is a bug in 3.2!
    Is there anyway of restoring the software version to how I got it???
    Forum Member
    Personally I regularly put the box into standby whenever I'm not using it. I've also tried pulling the old plug out of the wall and leaving it offline for a few minutes.

Tonight I'm going to try doing a full first time install without the aeriel in just in case, but I am not holding out much hope.

I had a problem similar to this, a few months ago, and it turned out i had a faulty tuner.

I bought the gdb3 (in jan sales this year), the box kept carshing, and then in march one day it wouldn't turn on at all. I took it back and got a replacement which has worked fine every since.
    Forum Member
    g00ner27 wrote:

I used to leave box on 24/7 and when the problems started i thought i would turn it off over night! When I try and turn the box off (via remote), it turns off and about 5 seconds later turns back on again!!!
    I went away the other weekend and turned the whole lot off at the mains for 48hours, still didnt cure it! Maybe there is a bug in 3.2!

It can, but please note that if your box originally came with a different version other than V3, then your box may have more problems than you have now, as the other versions had bugs.

What you could do is see if the reset gives 3.11, if not, go to that freddies website which is mention in the GDB2 thread, and download the 3.11 & do manual upgrade.

RESET, info provided by GDB2freeview:
    Last time some had to reset their boxes back to v1.0.0 or v2.1.5 to get the update. They did this by pressing the reset button on the back, keying '3', '5' on the remote and then giving it 10 minutes in standby. Press reset after 10 mins and do another scan for channels. This puts you on an ancient software version.

This may work but it is a risk - if you have a decent software version like v3.0 and you go back to v1.0.0 and cant get the update it will be a nightmare. If you have v1.0.0 or v2.1.5 already this will be of no help at all.

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=53291&page=134&pp=25 Post #3327 Page 134
  • James HattsJames Hatts Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    I have had similar problems (frequent crashes) in the past few weeks with my GDB3 which had otherwise been very reliable.

I am also receiving from Crystal Palace, so the theory that it could be connected to the extended EPG data seems possible.
    Forum Member
    well, thanks for all your suggestions guys!!!!
    I am gonna try bashing it soon!

After I have spoken to Goodmans in the morning, i shall let you all know the outcome!
    Forum Member
    im on V3.20 on my GBD3's and I receive from Crystal Palace. The problems did start around the time of the new EPG data broadcast test...

Just watching C4, went to change to Sky and its turned off again! :eek:

Hopefully goodmans can sort this pretty quick, otherwise I shall be seeking a refund.
  • ThanhukThanhuk Posts: 8,433
    Forum Member
    Personally I regularly put the box into standby whenever I'm not using it.

Thats what others have said when this type of problem arose before. They had to take it back, if i remeber correctly
    Thanh
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I've had a similar problem. My GDB3 has worked fine since I got it just after Christmas. I went away from 8/May to 13/May and found on return that it had switched itself off. Ever since then it occasionally switches itself off or reverts to BBC1. Teletext has become almost unusable - BBC teletext freezes after a couple of pages, and the ITV teletext TV guide will show a few pages and then give errors like OWTIM NOWPROG{not, and EXTIM {NEXTPROG not.

This looks like a software problem to me, but resetting the box hasn't helped, and there seems to be no way to reload the existing software (version 3.2) as the box thinks it's up to date. Am not sure whether to exchange the box under warranty, or wait for the next software update.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    g00ner27 wrote:

Actually yes, that's happened to me as well.

There is for the GDB2 so I would presume its the same process. Can't remember what it is though.

Although my old software would be around 2.1 or something. It seemed alright originally though so it might be okay.

Well I suppose let's face it - it can't be any worse...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanhuk wrote:
    Thats what others have said when this type of problem arose before. They had to take it back, if i remeber correctly
    Thanh

If it carries on, I'm tempted to. As long as I still have the receipt anyway.
    Forum Member
    Well its now day 2 of trying to contact Goodmans with no joy.

They are effing useless! There is always 7 million people infront of me in the queue!!! They did however give me a email address to contact them customercare@albaplc.co.uk , I will try this shortly!

Tried re-tuning box without aerial and re-tuning with, but that failed too!
    Forum Member
    I have given up with Goodmans!
    I returned my GDB3 today, I was a bit sad as the box was excellent before the problems started, anyway the shop replaced it with a Samsung SIR-U200i. I hope this is as good as the Goodmans!

Thanks for the advice!