Time to change my panasonic DSB-30?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
Forum Member
Hi
Have just had a problem that was similar to another member Yesterday.

Digibox locked up whilst I was looking for channels,
unplugged unit, waited a min and turned on again - would go to s/by then when I switch it to on screen would come on, but the next button pushed weather on remote or on box would cause a complete lockup!

Whilst seaching this forum for answers i left the box unplugged. went back a couple of hours later and now, hey presto, it works!

My questions are as follows:

1. Is this box on its way out? It must be over 3 years old now, and has generally served me really well.

2. If its time to look at a replacement what is best for following: Location: Cyprus,Limasol (just 12 miles outside)
Dish: 2.2m Prime focus (Yes 2.2m, actually a 1.8m will work out here but not for terrestrial channels) make unknown
LNB: MTI ap?8 C120 Flange
Transponder: 26, 12 207V (I get about 50% sigal strength 0% quality)

3: I primarily am looking for a normal Sky receiver, but make be intrested in sky+, is it possible to get a good sky+ box for my location and if so is it possible to use it with a single LNB input until I can get a multi port LNB? Appreciate comment on both types!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your Panasonic may be suffering from CPU overheating. Try running with the cover off and aim a domestic fan inside. I know that Pace BSKYB2600 and miniboxes work OK in Cyprus. I'm told by a friend that the Panny TU-DSB45 is also OK but check before buying. 2.2m is never going to get you BBC, ITV in Limassol. You need 3.2m.

Your MTI LNB is fine but if you replace it get a twin- or quad-output Invacom 0.3dB.

See info at http://www.satcure.net/2d/

The Mk1 SKY+ uses the horrid ZIF tuners and probably won't be very good in Cyprus. I believe the mk2 (BSKYB3100) uses the same tuners as the BSKYB2600 so it may be fine. But keep it COOL! (See other threads about this).
  • benidormgarybenidormgary Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yep-cant stress how important the fan advice is.Ive just come back from my neighbour-his 30 has just given up the ghost after 3 years,and the fan didnt help it.-after 1 day of trouble,but the temperature has gone from 22 degrees to 27 degrees in three days....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it's better to fit a fan before it goes faulty. (Stable door, horse bolted etc.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    I have used a gold-coloured Zalman Northbridge ZM-NB32J heatsink on a couple of DSB30s - one in the UK and one in Spain which *allegedly* works as well as the Satcure fan kit:

http://www.quietpc.com/uk/vgamb.php

Here is a review (when used in a PC for it's intended purpose!):

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/zm-nb32jnorthbridgechipsetcooler.php

I did buy the Satcure heatsink kit first (and followed their instructions)but decided to fit the Zalman after comparing the two.

Thanks

Gavin
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gavin-
    Many thanks for the interesting links.
    Gary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The review isn't clear about how the equipment was enclosed during the test or for how many hours the test was run. I'm dubious because a heatsink is like a bucket. Basically, it soaks up heat from the CPU until the "bucket is full". Then it can't soak up any more and the CPU gets hotter and hotter.

The only ways the heatsink can get rid of its heat is

1. by direct radiation to the metal cabinet. The cabinet gets hotter and radiates the heat away to its surroundings. The external air also takes heat away from the cabinet. This doesn't work too well with a plastic cabinet!

2. by airflow. Natural airflow is upwards, which means you need an air inlet at the bottom and an air outlet at the top (or a good compromise that approaches this ideal). Hot air can't travel sideways unless there's something to push it (a draught from a window or door, or from a fan).

So in the long term (several hours) a heatsink without a fan in a fully enclosed cabinet is bound to be far worse than one with a fan that pushes cooler air past it. It's impossible for it to be otherwise, just as it's impossible for a bucket to hold more water until some is emptied out.

This is not easy to grasp, and I expect arguments from the mentally challenged, but it's true. It's not difficult to prove it by taking measurements inside a PC case over a number of days.

Think of it another way. You have a hot water radiator (the "heatsink) in your living room and the heating pump (the "CPU") is permanently on, pumping hot water into it. The windows are open a fraction. The room gets hotter and hotter until an equilibrium is reached, whereby the slight cooling effect of the open windows and the heat escaping through walls, ceiling and window glass exactly matches the heat coming from the radiator.

Now imagine the radiator is four times as large. Is the room going to get hotter or cooler.

Well it's likely to get hotter because the radiator is now more efficient at radiating heat.

But, in the case of a satellite receiver this is bad news. The central heating pump (the CPU) is also in "the room" so it's going to get hotter, too!

So, in these circumstances, the only cure is to open the windows wider and or fit a fan to suck the hot air out of the room.

So, the point I'm making is that a bigger heatsink isn't necessarily much help if it's simply radiating heat into the cabinet where the CPU is. You really need a better airflow to get the heat out.
    Forum Member
    Sam,

Well, on behalf of the "mentally challenged", I'll post a reply. :rolleyes:

The heatsink removes heat from the CPU using radiation via the thermal compound. The fins of the heatsink then dissipate the heat using convection as you now have a much larger surface area than that of the CPU itself. A TU-DSB30 digibox has air vents cut into the metal lid to allow the hot air to rise and exit the case.

Does fitting the heatsink increase air flow through the case? No

Does fitting the heatsink cool the digibox in general? No

The whole point of this exercise is to reduce the operating temperature of the CPU - which is the acknowledged fault.

By happy coincidence, humans also occupy the same living area as both digiboxes and as a rule, switch on the ceiling fans fitted when the temperature rises - which increases the airflow circulating in the room (and moving hot air upwards) far more than a small fan.

This does cool the digibox in general - though not really the issue here...

Thanks

Gavin
  • tonyktonyk Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Had an interesting problem with my minibox as the ambient temperature has increased here. The sound starts to break up after a period of box being on and then picture pixelates and finally goes with no sat received. By various methods of deduction found it to be box problem. By directing a fan onto box after a few minutes every thing reverts to normal and remains that way with fan running. Cycle can be repeated by turning fan off. I am now waiting to try another mini box to establish if this is a design problem. An interesting point is that there are no vent holes on top of box.
    Forum Member
    Tony,

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Have you opened the box up ? I'm wondering if the minibox has a heatsink on the CPU ?

The Panasonic DSB30 has slots cut into the sides and top of the lid for cooling and the lid itself is made of very thin metal.

Where have you got your minibox located ? Is it on an open shelf or in a cabinet ? Is there lots of space around it for air to circulate ?
    Does the sun shine on it at all ?

If the minibox doesn't have a heatsink, it may be worth considering fitting one but you would need to open the box up to see how much room there is available to fit one - I would be surprised if the Zalman one fitted as the case is a lot smaller.

The small case will also reduce the amount of free air circulating around the electronic components - even if very well ventilated. This also doesn't help with cooling unfortunately.

A heatsink has to get rid of the heat taken from the CPU so if there isn't adequate ventilation, it will fix one problem and probably cause another.

I suspect that you may find that a cooling fan is the only option.

Thanks

Gavin
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Amstrad DRX100 gets pretty hot and starts stuttering, so much so that I have had to move the shelving in my unit to maximise the airflow.

Strange that Digiboxes are the only things affeted in such a bad way. Poor designs I guess.
    Forum Member
    Hi Gavin, box is in open air with free space all round, i have not opened box as yet because it is still under warranty and the installer i bought it from is bringing another unit for me to try. If that performs the same i intend to remove cover and see if it runs OK, if so i will then try slotting top of cover and see how that goes. Ta for your interest
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 weeks since the last reply, and 4 (yes-4!)pan30s I have been testing,I have worked out that they dont like being moved on to the next channel until it has made its mind up that the previous one is definitely not available-ie,until the screen shows"no satellite signal received".Until this prompt is on the screen,I think it is still looking for the frequency,and trying to ask for the next channel causes the box to lock up,with both the green light AND the red light being lit at the same time.I found the only answer was to unplug the mains and start again.I did indeed think at first it was heat related ,but Im not so sure now.The other 2 "cures" are (1)whilst it is in the "not sure "mode(blue screen-searching)-move to "other channels" list and pick an easy one,ie sky news,or(2) if you are lucky enough to be able to get at the lnb easily,cover it for a few seconds,that will quickly force the"no satellite signal received" on-screen message to appear.It should be then safe to move on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GavinP wrote:
    The heatsink removes heat from the CPU using radiation via the thermal compound. The fins of the heatsink then dissipate the heat using convection as you now have a much larger surface area than that of the CPU itself. A TU-DSB30 digibox has air vents cut into the metal lid to allow the hot air to rise and exit the case.....

Gavin
    You can call me pedantic, but in the interests of accuracy in an otherwise well reasoned reply,
    The heatsink removes heat from the CPU using conduction via the thermal compound ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    The Problem can be overcome by changing the LNB. Iknow that a grundig twin LNB works. I have not yet done any further LNB tests yet but will let you know the results when i have them.

Iam a satellite installer Mijas Costa Spain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welcome,Spanish John,to the forums.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Not being funny but everyone seems to have missed an important point from the original post...

The problem is similar to another board members problem. Which in turn is similar to mine.

The common denominator is that all three of us have the panasonic TU-DSB30. We have all developed the same problem at the same time and I don't know about the other 2 but I can assure you all my box is not overheating.

There does seem to be a link in that we all channel surf using the up down buttons and this is something I do pretty fast. I've always surfed this way so my money wouldn't be on overheating boxes but rather a software error peculiar to the Panasonic introduced during the last update.

It wouldn't be the first time an error has affected only one type of box and I'm quite sure it won't be the last!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Welcome,Spanish John,to the forums.
    Hi gary ITS HOT AINT IT thanks for the welcome

john.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was a software problem, don't you think that ALL TU-DSB30s would be affected?

The CPU is well known for failing because, unlike in a PC, it's not fitted with a heatsink and fan. My money is still on a failing CPU or maybe even a power supply fault. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RandyAndy wrote:
    Not being funny but everyone seems to have missed an important point from the original post...

The problem is similar to another board members problem. Which in turn is similar to mine.

The common denominator is that all three of us have the panasonic TU-DSB30. We have all developed the same problem at the same time and I don't know about the other 2 but I can assure you all my box is not overheating.

There does seem to be a link in that we all channel surf using the up down buttons and this is something I do pretty fast. I've always surfed this way so my money wouldn't be on overheating boxes but rather a software error peculiar to the Panasonic introduced during the last update.

It wouldn't be the first time an error has affected only one type of box and I'm quite sure it won't be the last!!!
    2-3 weeks ago 1 of 2 Panasonic 30's I have did lock up while zapping. I cured it by a new software download. I do also know of 1 other (Pan 30) that locked up just as England were about to play Switzerland. I advised him to do a hard reset, and it was cured. In my case I don't think it was heat, as the room is airconditioned - room temp not greater than 24º.
    So there is a possibility of software problems.
    Forum Member
    Jay C,

Thanks for the correction :)

All,

I was over in Spain last week and the in-laws DSB30 was working fine (25-30 degrees C ambient). Their box has a Zalman heatsink on the CPU (which may or may not be relevant) fitted before being sent to Spain and have the latest software loaded on the box.

Incidentally, their DSB30 also worked fine throughout last August in Spain during the heatwave which I suspect would have been a much harsher test of boxes overheating in general ?

We also have a DSB30 (with Zalman) in the UK which is working fine as well.

I wonder if the overheating issue is a bit of a red herring and that it is software related when using a large dish ?

The in-laws are fortunate in that they only need a 1.1m dish (and MTI Blueline 0.6dB single LNB) to pickup Astra 2D 24x7 as they live on the east coast of Spain.

Thanks

Gavin
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    If it was a software problem, don't you think that ALL TU-DSB30s would be affected?

Erm yes and no.

Sometimes a software error manifests itself only when a certain set of parameters are met and in this case it appears one of the (probably many) parameters is to be using the +/- buttons really fast.

If all parameters aren't met then the box will behave as all other boxes do so it appears that only some boxes are affected yet all have the potential to ehibit the problem.

I'm not discounting anything other people have said about heat issues though. The Panny does run hot and any cooling will prolong the life and reliabilty of the CPU but like I said before, I think this time it isn't a heat issue and as you'll see above, another board member has mentioned 2 more panny boxes that had the problem.
    Forum Member
    It is simple to check if it is overheating by directing a domestic fan onto box, if it is overheat everything will return to normal within a couple of minutes.This i proved with my minibox and since fitting 2 minifans from satcure my problem has gone away even with very high ambients here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I'm having the exact same problem with the same model panasonic digi box. When you flick through the channels with the +/- keys on the controller, the box will freeze with the red light on remote command stuck on.

Only way to sort it is to turn the box off at the mains, it sometimes also takes a long time to "Search for Listings" after this :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RandyAndy wrote:
    Erm yes and no.

Sometimes a software error manifests itself only when a certain set of parameters are met and in this case it appears one of the (probably many) parameters is to be using the +/- buttons really fast.

If all parameters aren't met then the box will behave as all other boxes do so it appears that only some boxes are affected yet all have the potential to ehibit the problem.
    In that case, could ALL TU-DSB30 owners reading this try the +/- test? If it fails the test, try it again AFTER cooling the box with a domestic fan. That should be fairly conclusive. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In that case, could ALL TU-DSB30 owners reading this try the +/- test? If it fails the test, try it again AFTER cooling the box with a domestic fan. That should be fairly conclusive. :)
    OK here is another theory, the result of my tests.
    The upstairs Panny30 wont misbehave, whatever I do. However fast I zap it's OK.
    The downstairs Panny30 I can get to malfunction by fast zapping. Today it's not fully locking up, as there is still some control, but it seems the tuner is not able to keep up with this fast zapping, so there comes a point when the signal is not there. I was able to reset by unplugging the lnb, then replugging, and all is OK again.
    The indication might be that this tuner is aging on this STB. We know from previous threads, that there is a power rail decoupling capacitor in or near the tuner, which if not functioning correctly will cause the CPU to lock up. Of course this is not scientific, as I haven't swapped over the lnb feeds to discount the lnb (Invacom Twin), and I haven't used a fan as the case of the digibox is hardly warm.
    This is only a theory, and could be knocked down. :cool: