Current details & prices of the new VOD service!

Tumble weedTumble weed Posts: 8,200
Forum Member
Here are the current details of the three different products that will be available with On Demand:

The first product is called Movies on Demand (pay-per-view).

Movies on Demand is ntl's pay-per-view service and is like having Blockbuster in your living room. You'll be able to view films whenever you like and have access to them for a 24 hour period. You'll also have complete control over the film in the same way that you do a DVD (pause, rewind and fast forward).

Movies on Demand will have all the recent titles you're used to seeing on Front Row as well as hundreds of additional titles. At any one time you'll have up to 500 titles available to view and there will be new titles added every week.

Below is an example of recent release movies and non-recent release movies that would be available on this service:

The intended price for a recent release is £3.50
[url] http://www.sowhatdoyouthink.co.uk/ofntlvod/modlist[/url]
The intended price for a non-recent release is £1.99
http://www.sowhatdoyouthink.co.uk/ofntlvod/smodlist/

The second product is called Movies on Demand (monthly).

As well as Movies on Demand (pay-per-view) there will also be a subscription movie service that will offer 250 films a month. Instead of paying each time you want to watch a movie, you would be able to access as many titles as you want in any month, for a set monthly subscription. The only movies that would not be included in this would be the most recent releases. As before you would have full control over the movie being able to start it at a time that is convenient for you, pause it, fast forward or rewind it.

If you are on the Family Pack the intended monthly subscription for this pack plus subscription movies on demand is £36.00.
This would be an additional £8 on top of your existing subscription.

The final On Demand product is called TV Plus.

TV Plus will provide access to a range of top TV programmes and series, as well as children's titles and music videos. As with all the other On Demand content you will have complete control over viewing - starting programmes whenever you want and all the DVD-like functionality you would expect.

Here is an example list of the types of programmes that would be available on this service: www.sowhatdoyouthink.co.uk/ofntlvod/tvpluslist

If you are on the Family Pack the intended monthly subscription for this with TV Plus is £36.00.

There will be an option to save money by buying a subscription to both subscription Movies on Demand and TV Plus in one bundle.
If you are on the Family Pack the intended monthly subscription for both these products is £40.00
This would be an additional £12 on top of your existing subscription.

Catch-Up TV

ntl is also offering a free On Demand product called 'Catch-Up TV'. Catch-Up TV will offer the most popular programming from the past week - so if you've missed a programme you've got a week to catch up. These programmes would include Soaps (EastEnders, Coronation Street, Emmerdale, etc) as well as a wide range of additional content with the full functionality available on all On Demand content.

Below is an example list of programmes that would be available on this service:
http://www.sowhatdoyouthink.co.uk/ofntlvod/catchuptvlist/

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey.

Where do I sign up?

And incidentely, where did you come by this info?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Wow - looks impressive
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    Wow! When is it coming out, that is really gonna boost NTL: customer favouritsm, oi hope.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The proposed service looks good.

Theirs one thing i dont understand though anout the catch up tv part.

Their is no problem with BBC programmes. But what about programmes from the commercial channel.

Are the commercial channels really going to let NTL use their programmes in this system. Think about it, it means that could people could watch Coronation street et al when they want. But this causes two problems, what will happen with adverts. Would the commercial channels really forsake a potential audience watching it when they broadcats it with commercials, for a commercial system where the audience could skip the adverts. Surely they would lose millions, and not allow their programmes to be broadcasted unless you can not skip adverts.

Secondly, lead in audience. The big shows are used to support and launch new shows. Again would the commercial channels allow their big programmes to be wached at any time, cutting the power of their schedulers.

So, as i said i can see the BBC jumping in big with this, but i really cant see commercial channels allowing anymore than archive programming on this system.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    This looks great. I'd be more than happy to trial this for you ntl:, just give me a call. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    I'm also guessing that shows on pay tv channels such as Sky One wont be stored on the servers. So as great as the new On Demand sounds, and I would subscribe, we still need a dual-tuner PVR also. That's one big advantage Sky would still have.

BTW, does anyone still have a working link for the video demo?

Andy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [The second product is called Movies on Demand (monthly).

As well as Movies on Demand (pay-per-view) there will also be a subscription movie service that will offer 250 films a month. Instead of paying each time you want to watch a movie, you would be able to access as many titles as you want in any month, for a set monthly subscription. The only movies that would not be included in this would be the most recent releases. As before you would have full control over the movie being able to start it at a time that is convenient for you, pause it, fast forward or rewind it.

If you are on the Family Pack the intended monthly subscription for this pack plus subscription movies on demand is £36.00.

Who is going to want to subscribe to Sky Movies when this is available?

This may well be the death of Sky Movies on ntl!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    WLB wrote:
    Are the commercial channels really going to let NTL use their programmes in this system. Think about it, it means that could people could watch Coronation street et al when they want. But this causes two problems, what will happen with adverts. Would the commercial channels really forsake a potential audience watching it when they broadcats it with commercials, for a commercial system where the audience could skip the adverts. Surely they would lose millions, and not allow their programmes to be broadcasted unless you can not skip adverts.

Secondly, lead in audience. The big shows are used to support and launch new shows. Again would the commercial channels allow their big programmes to be wached at any time, cutting the power of their schedulers.
    I see your point, but there would probably be some sort of delay between a programme being aired and it appearing on Catch-up TV. I would imagine that soap fans in particular wouldn't voluntarily wait 24 hours to see the latest episode just to skip the adverts. For starters, when everyone else is talking about the episode the following day they will be forced to walk around with their fingers in their ears. :) It's also not clear whether you can count on certain programmes always being available via Catch-up TV. In otherwords, will I know if I will be able to view a programme via Catch-up TV before it is actually aired? If not, then why risk missing it? Having said that, it will be a free service so it's likely to be subject to some restrictions. Also, I'd say your point about scheduling applies equally to the BBC, so even they may impose some restrictions on what can be replayed via Catch-up TV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WLB wrote:

Their is no problem with BBC programmes. But what about programmes from the commercial channel.

So, as i said i can see the BBC jumping in big with this, but i really cant see commercial channels allowing anymore than archive programming on this system.

But surely all of the following applies with TiVO (although there was a court issue in America) Sky+ and advertisiers and TV Comapanies have had no real problems with that.

TV Companies will have to accept that viewers want more flexibility, and they will need to begin looking at more cunning methods of advertising such as paying for brands to be worn by lead characters, or drink a particular beer or wash with a particular powder.......this is something that is likely to become more evident.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    This would fit in nicely with the BBC's plans to put all of it's archive online (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3177479.stm)
  • ogrynogryn Posts: 3,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not too shabby.... not too shabby at all.

With TV Plus, would it be just one episode of each program, or the whole series you could select?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WLB wrote:

You are making the same assumption that most others have made since the introduction of the VCR - people don't want to watch adverts. There has been some interesting research (I think it was featured in Digital News) which indicates that this isn't necessarily so. People will only fast-forward through BAD adverts. Things like Sky+ and TIVO and VOD will not be the death of advertising - just the death of bad advertising. The research showed that a good advert was typically more effective when viewed using a PVR than when broadcast live.
    If you think about it, when someone sees an advert they are mildly interested in, but don't catch the telephone number or other details, they can always review it on a PVR. Otherwise, they would have to wait around for the chance of seeing the ad again. Once most people have access to VOD, PVR etc., the advertisers won't have to pay so much money to have their adverts repeated every day for weeks and weeks as most people will have recorded them.
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yup - have to agree it looks pretty good - like they've actually thought about it, and come up with the three distinct packages as it were, rather than just blindly going *hey! wouldn't VoD be cool?*

the catch up thing is a great idea - sky + with the advantage of not needing new hardware, but i guess with the disadvantage of there being a time limit onhow long its stored for - but great nonetheless for being able to watch things at your convenience certainly.

and the tv plus looks good too - if its a sizable archive of stuff you can watch whenever it would be great for watching shows you kind of half got into, but couldn't really be bothered with watching regularly.

so for example - the x-files - enjoyed it, but lost the plot somewhere along the line, so if the entire run was available it might be good to watch odd episodes etc. so in this repect its an extra revenue stream, as i would never be motivated enough to go out and buy the dvds.

so big thumbs up really. if they can get all this up and running with a speedy responsive GUI then cable will finally be delivering on its potential.

Iain
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    exactly. That's why I'm hoping for all of the Little Britains, as I always seem to catch the same ones on BBC Three.
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that could just be because there are only 6 episodes so far tho'!

Iain :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eight! http://www.davidwalliams.com/LittleBritainTvHome.htm#episodes

I think I have seen five or six of them
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here are the current details of the three different products that will be available with On Demand:

The first product is called Movies on Demand (pay-per-view).

Movies on Demand is ntl's pay-per-view service and is like having Blockbuster in your living room. You'll be able to view films whenever you like and have access to them for a 24 hour period. You'll also have complete control over the film in the same way that you do a DVD (pause, rewind and fast forward).

Movies on Demand will have all the recent titles you're used to seeing on Front Row as well as hundreds of additional titles. At any one time you'll have up to 500 titles available to view and there will be new titles added every week.

Below is an example of recent release movies and non-recent release movies that would be available on this service:

The intended price for a recent release is £3.50
    [url] http://www.sowhatdoyouthink.co.uk/ofntlvod/modlist[/url]
    The intended price for a non-recent release is £1.99
    http://www.sowhatdoyouthink.co.uk/ofntlvod/smodlist/

The second product is called Movies on Demand (monthly).

The final On Demand product is called TV Plus.

TV Plus will provide access to a range of top TV programmes and series, as well as children's titles and music videos. As with all the other On Demand content you will have complete control over viewing - starting programmes whenever you want and all the DVD-like functionality you would expect.

Here is an example list of the types of programmes that would be available on this service: www.sowhatdoyouthink.co.uk/ofntlvod/tvpluslist

If you are on the Family Pack the intended monthly subscription for this with TV Plus is £36.00.

There will be an option to save money by buying a subscription to both subscription Movies on Demand and TV Plus in one bundle.
    If you are on the Family Pack the intended monthly subscription for both these products is £40.00
    This would be an additional £12 on top of your existing subscription.

Catch-Up TV

ntl is also offering a free On Demand product called 'Catch-Up TV'. Catch-Up TV will offer the most popular programming from the past week - so if you've missed a programme you've got a week to catch up. These programmes would include Soaps (EastEnders, Coronation Street, Emmerdale, etc) as well as a wide range of additional content with the full functionality available on all On Demand content.

Below is an example list of programmes that would be available on this service:
    http://www.sowhatdoyouthink.co.uk/ofntlvod/catchuptvlist/

This is all speculation though.

Movies on demand and the montly subcription service will be derailed by the fact Sky controls the UK pay-tv movie market , NTL can't just cobble together a bunch of movies and charge for them, there are rights holders to be dealt with.
    A VOD PPV service , basically front row movies playing today with VOD options would be feasible becasue Front Row buy cable PPV rights.
    However Sky own all pay-tv movie rights (satellite,cable,even DTT from ITV-D days) which means during that time window only Sky can show movies , with the new contracts being drawn up these will probably include VOD rights in them , but Sky could just chose not to exercise them.
    After that it's terrestrial broadcasters who own the movies rights and they won't let movies go on VOD as they want large audience shares for there network premiers to please advertiers and or get a large audience rating/share.

With TV plus it will take ages to come up with an agreement with artists and rights holders and media comapnies and even equity about VOD rights, it's proving a legal nightmare for the BBC even to show short clips on it's planned VOD internet video player let alown anything in its entirety (tv,music,radio etc). I'd like to know and I'm sure the BBC would be hugely intrested if NTL had managed to sort everything out in a short space time (when it could take the BBC years before it gets anywhere).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but the PPV rigts will naturaly cover VOD - after all thats what it is.

Rights are seperated into ?? main groups

A-TT/D-TT
    D-Sat
    D-Cable

each groups also has a PPV sub section.
    now sky might have the rights to D-Sat & D-Cable Movives but they dont ahve the PPV rights to d-Cable only D-Sat.

I dont think it would be very hard to get VOD rights to a pticualr programe.. it would be just the same.

VOD for Tv Shows is a slightly diffrent matter - I would think they would ahve a seperate sub section of rights ie PPV rights to show a programme. BBC have a clause in thier contaract for all new shows to be repeated on a Listen/Watch again Feature. This would simply be extended to VOD. Most of the TV Shows on VOD will be home grown by BBC/ ITV/ C4 / five this is not a huge issue.

This is a new sstem and I would have tought that a new set of rights would be introduced to go wth the normal ones.

This is just my opinion - not fact but seems logical.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ogryn wrote:
    Well the market in America has been round over twice as long as the UK pay market, it has had more time to matue but it has only got where it is today (VOD,Fibre to peoples homes) through years of wrangling with artists/tv comapnies/actors unions/etc and spening lots and lots of money , we are far away from resolving the basic problems like fees to be paid , the BBC's VOD internet player is a key marker on how even a large broadcaster is finding it hard to work out deals with artists/comapnies/rights ownsers/equity-unions for clips of shows.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well i can't wait for the service!! :)
    and i'm sure ntl and the on-demand group have thought about licences and program/film rights!

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    andyk22 wrote:
    This information was originally provided to select ntl customers by a consultancy firm on behalf of ntl, they're not offering anything they don't already have the rights to show. Indeed they've already begun trialling the service.
    Movies on demand and the montly subcription service will be derailed by the fact Sky controls the UK pay-tv movie market , NTL can't just cobble together a bunch of movies and charge for them, there are rights holders to be dealt with.
    NTL isn't cobbling anything together, the On Demand Group is responsible for both the content and management of the service.

About the ON Demand Group: The Group launched and continues to manage Front Row Television, one of the most successful near video-on-demand services in the world, and is also a consultant to Front Row’s joint venture partners, ntl and Telewest. The Group managed the launch of Mirador, the Spanish cable industry’s pay-per-view and NVOD service and supports Mirador’s ongoing operation. ON Demand has operated in more than 20 different countries developing pay TV, pay per view and video on demand businesses.

The service is being run in partnership with SeaChange International: - A leader in the market for VOD systems with over 300,000 VOD streams deployed for North America’s largest cable operators including, AT&T Broadband, Adelphia, Cablevision, Comcast, Insight Communications, MediaCom, Time Warner Cable and Rogers.

I think between them, they know a little more about movie and programming rights than you ever will.
    With TV plus it will take ages to come up with an agreement with artists and rights holders and even equity about VOD rights, it's proving a legal nightmare for the BBC even to show short clips on it's planned VOD internet video player let alown anything in its entirety, I'd like to know and i'm sure the BBC would be hugely intrested if NTL had managed to sort everything out in a months time (when it could take the BBC years).
    Homechoice, albeit on a much smaller scale, has already offered a similar service in the past, whereby you have unlimited access to select programmes or a whole series, available to watch on demand for a fixed monthly fee, so it's not exactly new to the UK. KIT in Hull has also offered BBC programmes 'On Demand' too.

I imagine it's taken slightly more than a month to secure rights, it was reported in June 2003 that ntl was teaming up with the On Demand Group & SeaChange International to offer a video on demand service, with an expected launch by year end 2004.

Why is it you try to dismiss anything that you fear threatens your beloved Sky? It's the same story time after time, whether dismissing the possibly of cable adding extra Sky channels in the past, or attacking the bbc for daring to break free from Sky. This will eventually happen whether rolled out later this year or next. The only loser here is Sky, who simply cannot compete with this type of service. Luckily for Sky, the vast majority of its customers are in non-cabled streets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    andyk22 wrote:

No it is not speculation because it was ntl that sent the email out with the survey and that is what had the planned prices on it and what is going to be on the service.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andyk22 wrote:
    the BBC's VOD internet player is a key marker on how even a large broadcaster is finding it hard to work out deals with artists/comapnies/rights ownsers/equity-unions for clips of shows.

That is a slightly diffrent issue - the internet is avaiable to anyone in the world where as ntl VOD will only be avaiable to UK customers.

This has been one of the big issues with bbc.co.uk - being funded by the uk licence fee but being avaiable to anyone in the world.

BTW: I dont mind this happeneing as I am proud of the BBC and want to world to know what a great service we have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nidave wrote:
    That is a slightly diffrent issue - the internet is avaiable to anyone in the world where as ntl VOD will only be avaiable to UK customers.

This has been one of the big issues with bbc.co.uk - being funded by the uk licence fee but being avaiable to anyone in the world.

BTW: I dont mind this happeneing as I am proud of the BBC and want to world to know what a great service we have.

Go try and access www.sho.com (Showtime is a US premium operator).
    That's what the BBC will use.