ITV sky football broadcast..terrible (merged)

Comments

• 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    During the run up to Euro2004, instead of pushing widescreen TVs as "the thing to have", maybe they should have been selling good old fashioned TV aerials, so all those folks who don't seem to think analogue TV is worth bothering with anymore could upgrade their TV aerial and get a decent picture! ;-)

Cheers,
    David.
  • raider666raider666 Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i never noticed any picture break-ups
  • Philip NixonPhilip Nixon Posts: 1,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone notice how the bottom half of the picture was pixellating, it reminded me of a faulty software update that Sky made to the digiboxes a few years back that had the same effect on the picture.
    Sky had to revert to the old software sharpish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    what is the deal with the "curtains" on either side of the picture. Found that really annoying as my picture through the aerial is crap saying that atleast i got a full widescreen picture. I think they do the same on the BBC aswell.

Shame.

Dal
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was also going on on the F1, we were on ITV-London but its moved to Meridian-East.. London seems to have more bandwidth and I usually look at sport on 963 (off the top of my head) to carry on watching London.

Not perfect but better then their local stations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the reason ITV London looks better is it is on the Carlton Group transponder - that is the London, Westcountry, Central and Welsh regions. There is a third with Scottish, Grampian, UTV and the Channel Islands region on it, and finally there's a Granada Group one - this has something like seven streams on it including two Border region varients, as well as ITV2 which is available nationally.

Anyway - the reason ITV1 London looks better to you is probably the fact that the London stream is on a less congested transponder as Meridian is part of the Granada Group. Can't say I've noticed any difference in picture quality between ITV1 Central and ITV1 London - and even then, to me they look very compressed and generally awful. I havn't tried the Granada channels, but I would guess they are even worse :eek:

BTW - I think this should actually be in the 'Channels and Programming' forum seeing as it doesn't seem to be very platform specific.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    There are two issues here-

The poor picture on ITV because they purchase only a small portion of satellite space. As people have pointed out this is particularly noticable on Sports programs where there is a lot of movement. ITV do not seem to have made changes to this recently but like many I wish that they would splash out on a bit more bandwidth to improve things. This has nothing to do with the random pixelation which is new.

The second issue - the pixelation at random times in random places on the screen. This can come from having a poorly aligned dish but seeing as so many people have noticed that this has suddenly started to occur this cannot be the case.

The fact that analogue broadcasts or Digital Terrestrial viewers do not see the problem shows that the problem is not due to the feed from Portugal to the UK. It is therefore a problem on the ITV multiplex on SKY. Have you noticed that ITV2 is also suffering at the moment.

There could be two reasons for this. Reason 1 - the transponder power has been reduced for some reason and this particular transponder has only just enough power to get the signal to our homes - hence occasional break up. We will find out if this is the case when it eventually rains. If this is the problem we will loose ITV completely during the rain storm - Remember how some people had similar problems when the BBC moved to free to air.

Reason 2 - there is a encoder problem. Something in the ITV multiplex encoding system is faulty. This could be due to the intoduction of the new interactive service. The installation of the interactive service may not have been done correctly resulting in the occasional picture break-up that we see. My guess is that there is a mis-match somewhere in the data-rates. The encoder may be producing pictures at a certain bit rate but the multiplexer or satellite modulator me be set to expect a slightly different data rate. At some point the storage buffer in one of these units will under or overflow becasue it is running at a different rate causing the breakup that we see.

David.
  • bronx2282bronx2282 Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eeedwarg wrote:
    The second issue - the pixelation at random times in random places on the screen. This can come from having a poorly aligned dish but seeing as so many people have noticed that this has suddenly started to occur this cannot be the case.

David.
    Unless all the people that had the pixellation had their dishes installed by the same person who can't align it properly! :D

Long live Freeview!!
  • packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV picture was so bad that even my mum said something and she can't usually notice anything!
    I don't even have the option of going back to analogue.
    Every game ITV show has the most awfult pixelation. It makes you appreciate the quality on the BBC and even more so the Premiership on Sky
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I was watching via Freeview on a Panasonic box and I'm sure I saw a "Video lock" (or something similar) error pop up a few times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ive been watching most of the games on eurosport it looks fine on there :cool: ,i think they have the next england games on live too. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I've had problems with ITV over the last couple of weeks on Sky Digital. The action is continually jumping about, sometimes incredibly noticable but other times more subtle little regular freezes that some of my housemates don't seem to notice but I do.

To answer another poster there is hardly any problem on ad breaks. So I put it down to their interactive nonsense. I noticed it was particularly bad on Hell's Kitchen the other week the other week - another programme with interactive elements. I use ITV London by the way.

On the 'video lock' message that popped up, I'm pretty sure I saw that on the BBC coverage and that is almost certainly a problem at the broadcaster / live feed.
  • RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i havent noticed any problems on my ITV reciption bia my sky+ box, on the other hand i tend to swich to analogue ( or french channels) for the football anyway. i've not had a problem recording fantasy football league ( the only thing worth watching ,period, on ITV these days).
  • FusionLadFusionLad Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ive been watching most of the games on eurosport it looks fine on there :cool: ,i think they have the next england games on live too. :)

No such luck... Eurosport are showing tennis when the next England match is on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctorb wrote:
    As i said before and i'll say it again....its worse than usual, i know itv skys picture has always been poor but PQ seemed to drop 25% the last few days.I mean i was getting pixelation blocks of 2cm square appearing roughly every five minutes or so.
    next time dont jump the gun and read the original post

Tell me about it , the picture was pretty bad via ITV when watching yesterdays Denmark v Italy match.

The biggest problem is that Sky will be reciving lots of phonecalls and can't do anything about it , if ITV had a call centre they would need to take on 1000 staff between 5pm and 10pm just to deal with all the complaints. :p
  • simpsonsFANsimpsonsFAN Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    lolmil wrote:
    If it makes you feel any better it was just the same on NTL, absolutely awful!
    II bought a 44inch TV for this tournament and have had a huge green mess for a pitch as well as borders down the side of the picture.

One question though, even though there are borders down the side, the picture seems to be bigger than a normal 4:3 picture, but not as wide as a 16:9, any ideas?

try 14:9!, i have no idea how drunk you were when you were watching the footie but on my ntl tv it was fine!

----1st post, yey :) !
    -Chris
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looked fine to me when I was watching via NTL.
  • gjbgjb Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    I think on both cable platforms ITV picture is fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gjb wrote:
    I think on both cable platforms ITV picture is fine.
    Well lolmil disagrees. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George_D wrote:
    Did these disturbances happen during the breaks, or just during the match?

Both. It's wierd, cos it stopped as soon as the football was over...
  • Colino GreenColino Green Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow..

Currently just over halfway through the Czech Rep vs Latvia game and the ITV1 picture hasn't broken up once as far as I can tell here in the Granada region.

Certainly a far cry from the last few days. Hopefully it will be like this on Thursday too.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :)
    No problem in the Winterhill area on any ITV channels
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Have to agree also .. hope it lasts !!
  • ThanhukThanhuk Posts: 8,433
    Forum Member
    If you want really good pictures you'll have to wait fot HDTV!

OR just switch over to Analogue TV. Works from there as well!
    Thanh
  • MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was doing it on analouge and digital 4 me, but anolouge was just a bit of waves every now and then, so we watched it on analouge I'm :mad: with the ITV, i wanted it on the BBC