Options

The Simpsons vs. Futurama

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are 5 seasons infact but FOX Home Video crammed them to make 4 seasons on DVD and VHS.

Actually that is incorrect, they made season 3 and 4 smaller to make it seem there was a 5th season, there was actually 4 seasons made, but fox decided to split them up.
  • Options
    DEmbertonDEmberton Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just looking at TVTome, and they list 5 series. Which is "good news" because I don't think I've seen more than a couple of that last series. I downloaded S4 a while back, up to "where no fan has gone before", and I thought that was the end.
  • Options
    TerryOSTerryOS Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    I know this thread is based on The Simpsons and Futurama, but I have to say Family Guy is so much more better and funnier than both, and it's great that fox have decided to make more of them :)
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what about the PJ's
    the Simpsons have 15 seasons coming up to 16
  • Options
    WezzoWezzo Posts: 1,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eviledna wrote:
    BTW, as far as I can recall, The Simpsons has NEVER been about Bart Simpson. Homer has always been the star. And I haven't met anyone who thinks series one of The Simpsons is the best - the voice work and the animation in particular is absolutely shocking! Then, for series two, I believe, they changed animation houses - and the rest is history...

You can't argue that S1 of Simpsons didn't rely more on Bart than Homer. Bart The Genius, General, Krusty Gets Busted, Telltale Head and Crepes Of Wrath - all came from S1.

And they changed animation houses in S4, IIRC.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wezzo wrote:
    You can't argue that S1 of Simpsons didn't rely more on Bart than Homer. Bart The Genius, General, Krusty Gets Busted, Telltale Head and Crepes Of Wrath - all came from S1.

And they changed animation houses in S4, IIRC.

A lot of the episodes have a lot of emphasis on Homer and Bart , few are dedicated around Lisa and Marge , they should give Homer and Bart a rest and write some more storys from Marge and Lisas point of view.
    The last episode of Season 15 was based around Lisa and it was quite good.

Yes they did change animation houses around that time Glasky some garble gook who make animate the rugrats used todo the Simpsons but they cocked up Smithers big time in one episode , he looked rather badly tanned rather than yellow , after that they changed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but that was in season 1; they didn't change until S4 - I don't think they changed for that reason.

Marge and Lisa eps are indeed underrated, I'd like to see more. But there are definitely more nowadays than there were back in S1-2.
  • Options
    evilednaeviledna Posts: 2,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andyk22 wrote:

Yes they did change animation houses around that time Glasky some garble gook who make animate the rugrats used todo the Simpsons but they cocked up Smithers big time in one episode , he looked rather badly tanned rather than yellow , after that they changed.

Smithers had a Watermelon moment in S1. The changeover to Film Roman happened during series 4. The reason: money. Klasky wanted to put all their effrots into the Rugrats, which they owned, rather than merely being animators for The Simpsons (which they don't own).

I only know this, btw, because I looked it up. I'm not really an obsessive, like Comic Book Guy.
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my 2 penneth:

The best eps of the Simsons are better than the best eps of Futurama.

An average Futurama episode is better than an average Simpsons

The most recent series of the Simpson are poor-average at best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andyk22 wrote:
    A lot of the episodes have a lot of emphasis on Homer and Bart , few are dedicated around Lisa and Marge , they should give Homer and Bart a rest and write some more storys from Marge and Lisas point of view.
    The last episode of Season 15 was based around Lisa and it was quite good.

FOX used to use Kalsky Cspo.
  • Options
    WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    I kiinda liked Futurama, Early simpsons just beat it tho imo.

Family Guy is overall the most funny imo :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No if you go on Tvtome it will clearly state that there are 5 seasons.
  • Options
    DEmbertonDEmberton Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Smithers being black, and Barney having yellow hair, but the most striking thing about the early episodes (apart from the poorer quality animation) is Homer's voice, which is totally wrong.

The early ones are also a bit like the early shorts in that they're more subdued and wordier. I think they learnt to pick up the pace after a while, for the better.

Perhaps Futurama benefited from the experience of Groening and all, meaning they could hit the ground running. The sheer number of Simpsons episodes means that you could say Futurama is better on average, but I don't think that's fair. Who knows what Futurama might have been like after 15 series. One for the "what if" machine that. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sim51 wrote:
    No if you go on Tvtome it will clearly state that there are 5 seasons.

There's a distinction to be made between production seasons and broadcast seasons. Futurama has four production seasons, hence the four DVD box sets, but because Fox were slow to show episodes there ended up being five broadcast seasons. The Futurama fansite www.gotfuturama.com has an Episode Guide which helpfully sorts episodes into production and broadcast seasons.
  • Options
    evilednaeviledna Posts: 2,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [MaRt] wrote:
    There's a distinction to be made between production seasons and broadcast seasons. Futurama has four production seasons, hence the four DVD box sets, but because Fox were slow to show episodes there ended up being five broadcast seasons. The Futurama fansite www.gotfuturama.com has an Episode Guide which helpfully sorts episodes into production and broadcast seasons.

Yaay! *Cue Fry air punch.* The Luck of the Fryrish gets one of the highest user ratings of all on that site - along with Amazon Women in the Mood, which is also hooolarious. Glad to see that Fryrish choked up other fans too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Fryrish and Jurassic bark briough a tear to my eye. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so animated tv series can have emotional sides, anything like this on the simpsons?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know I see a lot of people asking about the animation and so on, you really should buy the DVD boxsets and have a listen to the episode commentaries. Not only do the Simpsons ones provide great insight into how the show was run, but the Futurama ones are hilarious and towards the end Matt Groening reveals a few facts about how he really feels about Fox and them cancelling Futurama.

You can be sure the quality of the series (Futurama) had absolutely nothing to do with it getting cancelled. It is by far my favourite animation series, and one of my top 3 TV series' of all time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Look at this article from 2002

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds6261.html

As if they will make new episdoes, from the way they treated it, FOX hated Futurama!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    futurama is by far my favourite! it had so many emotional episodes that far surpassed the simpsons, the simpsons has by far lost its special spark in my book, whereas futurama was never given the chance to go that way. the world wud be a darker place without the likes of bender and zoidberg!!!! bender: see if your poor you WILL be lonely *points at zoidberg* leela: no, thats all wrong, he is poor because he is hidious!!" *zoidberg looks at them, and burst into tears* haha
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing with the simpsons it seems to rely on stupid laughs like when humour stopped his wedding and itched his bum and burbed that is totally not funny but I bet most people laugh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer the simpsons overall, I love the way that no group of people are safe from being poked fun at - gay, disabled, ethnic minoritys, women, men, kids - everyone. Its great the way the shows says what everyone thinks and doesn't care. Its also had some really tearjerking episodes - the one where maggie makes 3, and it shows what homers done with all maggies baby pictures always makes me cry. Also Lisa's first word is sweet.

Saying that, I do love futurama - Fry is such a brilliant character and not unlike some people i actually know!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Round Springfield makes me cry when Lisa is crying because Bleeding Gums Murphy has died.