USB modem and ethernet router

I hope one of you nice people can help me with this problem.

I've recently moved ISP from NTL to Wanadoo. With NTL I had an ethernet modem which plugged nicely into my Linksys WRT54G router and everything was great.

But now with Wanadoo I've got a USB modem. I've got this connected directly to my PC (Windows XP Home) and the internet works fine. However, I want to connect the router to the PC so I can connect other devices to the router (specifically my PS2 via wireless but I'm nowhere near there yet).

I've enabled Internet connection sharing and attached the router to the PC via ethernet but I can't see it's configuration page - http://192.168.1.1 gives me a cannot find server, page cannot be displayed error message.

The router displays all the normal lights and I did a hardware reset on it in case there was any funny settings left on it from my NTL days.

I didn't use the PS2 online very often so I'm not worried about needing to have the computer on to use it and I really don't want to have to buy any more kit if I don't have to.

Thanks for any help and apologies if this has been asked before - I did a search and couldn't find an answer.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it not 192.168.0.1???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Help us help you!
    you have:

line --- USB effort/modem --- PC 1 --- router -- PS2, PC 2 etc

Can you make your Linksys router into a hub by disabling NAT (network address tanslation)? Since at the mo you have two routers set up - PC1 and the Linksys. But this all should work with two routers set up (but would have a bigger lag than one router alone).
    If not, are the IP address' & subnets of PC1 and the router conflicting? What IP address & subnet details are from PC1's network card and PC2 (assuming PC2 is connected to the Linksys)?
    Such as IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet 255.255.0.0

Or are you attempting to access the Linksys menu from the WAN socket of the Linksys router?
  • finbarfinbar Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your replies. I've managed to get a bit further here.

I was able to access the router setup screen by disabling ICS, connecting my PC to port 1 of the router and following the instructions on Section A of the following page ->

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=640&p_created=1084218912&p_sid=26zb_wfh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTI2JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9c2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwxPTEmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDI9MjAmcF9jYXRfbHZsMT0xNSZwX2NhdF9sdmwyPSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXVzYiBtb2RlbQ**&p_li=

So I've changed the router's LAN IP Address to 192.168.0.254 and disabled DHCP and turned back on the ICS.

The subnet is 255.255.255.0 and the I think the IP address of my LAN card is 192.168.0.1 (but I'm not sure about this).

However, I can't get the PS2 to work with the router. I have conected the PS2 to the second port of the router and run the diagnostics but it keeps failing the DNS test.

Does anyone know what values I should use for the IP address and gateway in the PS2 configuration as I think these may be wrong?

I'm also not sure about PPP and DNS settings.

Thanks for any help and sorry if I'm not explaining this very well.
    Forum Member
    line -- usb modem -- PC 1 -- socket 1 - router - socket 2 -- PS 2

PS 2:
    gateway = PC 1's network card IP address such as 192.168.0.1
    DNS = PC 1's internet connection DNS settings, or try the same IP address as gateway (not totally sure if that would work).
    Forum Member
    Thunderkit - thanks very much for your help.

I've got the ps2 working now when connected to the router.

I set the gateway and DNS servers to 192.168.0.1 and turned off all firewalls (zonealarm and xp).

Now I'm trying to go wireless!

I've got a WET11 that I used before but it doesn't seem to want to talk to my PC any more. If I try to connect it directly to the router I get a popup message about an IP conflict on address 192.168.0.1.

I thought the IP of the WET was http://192.168.1.225 so I'm not sure why I'm getting this conflict. Any ideas?

Thanks again
    Forum Member
    Setup the WET11 to automagically get an IP address from PC 1?
    Then PC1 and the WET11 are in the same network and will be able to communicate at least to use it's web based interface.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    finbar wrote:
    Thunderkit - thanks very much for your help.

I've got the ps2 working now when connected to the router.

I set the gateway and DNS servers to 192.168.0.1 and turned off all firewalls (zonealarm and xp).

Thanks Thunderkit and finbar. I was trying to set up a similar system at the weekend but was disadvantaged by having a USB modem like yourself finbar. After several hours of failed attempts to get the damned thing working, I rang up Belkin but was told that it was not possible to set up the system similar to what you are doing. File sharing was not the problem, it was getting the internet connection shared and I think it was because I did not set the DNS server.

I am now itching to have a play as it seems as though it will work with that minor adjustment but as it is late and everyone but me has to be out of the house for 8.15 tomorrow morning and are now in bed, I don't think it would be wise :D

I will post back to let you know how I get on :)
    Forum Member
    I forgot to ask. Do you need to enable or disable Internet Connection Sharing?

Cheers :)
    Forum Member
    Yes you need to enable connection sharing on the USB modem.

I'm still having no luck getting the WET11 to talk to the PC. I tried connecting the WET11 directly to the PC but no dice. Anyone any ideas?
    Forum Member
    I can't say how grateful I am for the information in this thread. ThunderKit, you are a star mate :)

I now have 3 computers all sharing files and connecting to the internet without problem. A few problems were caused by the Windows 98SE laptop but after a bit of head scratching and a 5 minute download of IE6 (don't ya just love broadband? :D), all was hunky doorey :) Perhaps the most difficult part was trying to get my computer to see the router, it finallly worked after being reset.

Thanks once again for the information.

Sorry I can't help you finbar :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbar wrote:
    Yes you need to enable connection sharing on the USB modem.

I'm still having no luck getting the WET11 to talk to the PC. I tried connecting the WET11 directly to the PC but no dice. Anyone any ideas?

Have you connect to the PC, and tried running the setup CD that comes with it? If so does it fail to even find a device connected? If so it's FUBAR'd. I've had every (4) WET11 I've had fail in this way. Needless to say I won't be getting anymore.

PS Anyone want to buy a brand new still sealed in box WET11 that's due to arrive as a replacement for my last failure sometime next week? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Happy to see this thread is helping other people!

Yes I connected the WET11 directly to the PC and tried the X - || switch in both positions but the setup cd and the web address both see nothing.

The lights on the WET11 are on (power, LAN and WLAN) but nobody's home!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a reset switch too - give that a go whilst powering it up. If still no joy send it back and pref exchange it for something that's not a WET11 - either that or buy mine :p
    Forum Member
    I've tried the reset switch a few times with no luck but I'm still not convinced the WET11 is dead.

I connected the WET11 to my PC and was able to see the router configuration screen from my PC.

This could only have been through the WET11 wireless LAN as there was no other way it was connected to the PC.

I tried connecting the PS2 to the internet using this set up (router connected to PS2 and WET11 connected to PC) but it failed the ping test. This setup would suit me fine if I could get it to work!

I've got a suspicion that the problem is that the WET11 IP address is 192.168.0.1 (see post about IP conflicts) but if I can't see the WET11 config screen I don't know how to change this.

Is there any way to change the IP address of the network card to avoid this conflict?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can change the IP address in the WET11 config screen (either web or CD config). Just check the manual IP config (rather than DHCP)
    Other things to check are SSID, AdHoc/infrastructure, and any security keys are correct
    Forum Member
    I can't access the WET11 config screen. The setup CD doesn't see a device connected and a ping of 192.168.1.225 gets no reply.

I've tried turning off ICS which changed the IP address of the network card but then I couldn't see the router or the WET11.

Anyone any ideas?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbar wrote:
    I can't access the WET11 config screen. The setup CD doesn't see a device connected and a ping of 192.168.1.225 gets no reply.

I've tried turning off ICS which changed the IP address of the network card but then I couldn't see the router or the WET11.

Anyone any ideas?
    finbar wrote:
    I've tried the reset switch a few times with no luck but I'm still not convinced the WET11 is dead.

If you can't get to the web config and the pc utility doesn't see it, then either you either have a problem with you network controller or the WET11 is deceased - personally, I'd put money on the latter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just noticed you mentioned all 3 lights are on. Funny you should say that - that's what happened when each and every one of mine died (they were all permanently on rather than LAN/WLAN flashing with traffic)
    Forum Member
    I can now see the WET11 setup screen!

ICS defaults the PC's IP address to 192.168.0.1 and subnet 255.255.255.0. This means it can only see anything on 192.168.0.X etc. So I changed the IP address of the computer to 192.158.1.2 in Local Area Connection -> Properties -> TCP/IP protocol -> properties.

I then did a hardware reset on both the WET11 and the router and they both came up as expected on their default IP addresses (192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.225 respectively).

I've disabled DHCP on the router again and changed the IP address, DNS server names etc on the PS2 but the PS2 fails the DNS test again even when connected to the router (no WET11).

So, one step forward, two steps back!
    Forum Member
    I've got the PS2 working again wired to the router.

A couple of points to note:

1. As mentioned here -> http://www.linksys.com/download/vertxt/wet11_eu_ver.txt
    The WET11 doesn't work with the original setup utility once its firmware is upgraded to 1.5.4.

2. Windows ICS doesn't seem to work when you change the IP address of the network card.
    I had to re-run the network setup wizard (and then disable the firewall) to get ICS working again.

Now I'm trying again to get wireless working.

OK, so I've got:
    USB Modem
    PC: 192.168.0.1
    WET11: 192.168.0.225
    WRT54G: 192.168.0.254
    PS2: 192.168.0.2

Some example setups:

1. USB modem - PC - WRT54G - PS2 (wireless) WET11
    I can ping the router but I can't ping the WET11 or the PS2.
    I can see the WRT54G setup screen in IE but not the WET11.
    PS2 passes all tests.

2. USB modem - PC - WET11 - (wireless) - WRT54G - PS2
    I can ping the router and the WET11 but not the PS2.
    I can see the both the WRT54G and WET11 setup screen in IE.
    PS2 fails DNS test.

3. USB modem - PC - WRT54G - (wireless) - WET11 - PS2
    I can ping the router but I can't ping the WET11 or the PS2.
    I can see the WRT54G setup screen in IE but not the WET11.
    PS2 fails DNS test.

4. USB modem - PC - WRT54G - (wired) - WET11
    I can ping the router and the WET11.
    I can see the both the WRT54G and WET11 setup screen in IE.
    I get an IP conflict on 192.168.0.1.

Note that I need to get either setup 2 or 3 to work to get the PS2 working wirelessly.

Please reply if you have any ideas.