Strange clashed recordings

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 243
Forum Member
Had a number of recordings recently that have been marked as clashed and not recorded at all.

If I recall how I've managed it.

Pretty sure I've had two programs recording at say 9pm.
Switched box on at 9.10pm and it's sat on program 1 - as expected.
Now normally I'd have gone straight to the planner, selected program 1 and start watching from the start whilst it still recorded - all usually fine.

However, it's already sat on program 1, which is what I wanted to watch, so I've just hit rewind and started watching.
Wouldn't normally be able to rewind cos I don't have instant rewind on, but because the program is recording it's fine.
Watch the program through, box obviously stops recording half way through when the program finishes live
Go back to the planner and it says CLASHED.

How can it have clashed? It recorded it in full cos I watched it!!

Has also done it where I've only watched a bit of the program. Whilst watching BB the strange appearance of Becky meant I decided to go back to planner and watch Little Brother to see what had happened. Returned to planner and BB had CLASHED. Again how? I'd been watching it before and I'd recorded nothing else for it to clash with!

Comments

• daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've had this when i try to record on Disney.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    what are your extra recording times before and after programs set as?? if they are set quite high then they could possibly be causing clashes?? Just the first thing that springs to mind...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    A minute before, 2 minutes after, but I don't think this is related.

These are programs that are actually recorded as you can fast forward/rewind whilst they are live (I have no rewind buffer), but if you go to the planner and watch something else and come back to them they say CLASHED, not PART REC which is what would have happened if you'd lost the start/end.
  • daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mine is on AUTOMATIC.
  • Dan the VanDan the Van Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

However, it's already sat on program 1, which is what I wanted to watch, so I've just hit rewind and started watching.

This could be the cause of your problem, perhaps when you hit rewind on a recording program it stops the program being recorded.
    Try viewing the program by going via the TV Guide. This is the way I do it and I have never had any problems.

The one thing I have learnt about Sky+ boxs is they don't work the way you want them too.

Dan
    Forum Member
    This could be the cause of your problem, perhaps when you hit rewind on a recording program it stops the program being recorded.

If it stops then it would now be in Live Pause mode. But the first 10mins of the programme are technically a recorded program, not instant rewind buffer. So as we FF/RW we'd be jumping from a recorded stream to a time shift buffer.
    Try viewing the program by going via the TV Guide. This is the way I do it and I have never had any problems.

Yeah, I'd normally do that - hardly ever watch live TV. I think I'd left the TV on, then came back to it later and thought "ah, Big Brother, wanted to watch that". So just hit rewind cos I was only 5 mins in. The box lets you rewind if it's recording the current show, regardless of your instant rewind settings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it stops then it would now be in Live Pause mode. But the first 10mins of the programme are technically a recorded program, not instant rewind buffer. So as we FF/RW we'd be jumping from a recorded stream to a time shift buffer.

Intrested where you found this info.

Dan
    Forum Member
    Intrested where you found this info.

Dan

I didn't find it anywhere, it was just a guess!!! I was merely questionning why it would be stopping the recording.

As the show can be FF/RW end to end, the first half was definitely a pre-recorded programme (as I'm not using instant rewind). But as for the second half, if it hadn't stopped recording and the programme is being destroyed at the end (or on return to the planner), it is just playback of a programme (obviously whilst it still records). However, if it has stopped and is now treating it as live pause / time slip, it's allocated the first half of the programme as the start of the live buffer. If you get what I mean!!!

Whatever is actually happening, I watched the whole of the programme in a form of time slip, so it definitely recorded it all. It just chose to discard it afterwards and put the reason as CLASHED!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't find it anywhere, it was just a guess!!! I was merely questionning why it would be stopping the recording.

As the show can be FF/RW end to end, the first half was definitely a pre-recorded programme (as I'm not using instant rewind). But as for the second half, if it hadn't stopped recording and the programme is being destroyed at the end (or on return to the planner), it is just playback of a programme (obviously whilst it still records). However, if it has stopped and is now treating it as live pause / time slip, it's allocated the first half of the programme as the start of the live buffer. If you get what I mean!!!

Whatever is actually happening, I watched the whole of the programme in a form of time slip, so it definitely recorded it all. It just chose to discard it afterwards and put the reason as CLASHED!

At least you were honest you were guessing. As I said before
    The one thing I have learnt about Sky+ boxs is they don't work the way you want them too.

Dan

I still suggest you view a recorded program via the planner, must be quicker than rewinding through a program. Don't forget you can select the start point of the playback.

Dan
    Forum Member
    Not again!

Dead Famous 9pm - 10pm
    Wife Swap 9pm - 10pm
    Big Brother 10pm - 10.45pm
    Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares 10pm - 11pm

Dead Famous - 63m
    Wife Swap - 61m
    Big Brother - failed unknown
    Ramsey - clashed

Surely it should have managed all 4 programs, but just dropped the buffers around the 10pm mark?

Don't know whether it's an issue, but started watching Dead Famous from the start (ie from the planner) at about 9.45.

I'm convinced that I've done this loads of times before. I did full house keeping 3 weeks ago, and updated to C2 model number. This is the third time since that I've had this clashed/failed issue for no reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi peter,

Just noticed this new thread you have started.

Have a read through this thread. See if changing your padding settings to 'Auto' helps.

I have had my box replaced since then due to a power failure, but I still have no recording problems.

I avioded updating the model number so its still at B2.

Dan
    Forum Member
    I'll give it a read, but as I said in my new thread, I'm pretty sure this has started since C2.

I'm at home working, so I'll play with the DR all day and see what results I get. Difficulty is it takes at least an hour per test!
  • Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    Not again!

Dead Famous 9pm - 10pm
    Wife Swap 9pm - 10pm
    Big Brother 10pm - 10.45pm
    Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares 10pm - 11pm

Dead Famous - 63m
    Wife Swap - 61m
    Big Brother - failed unknown
    Ramsey - clashed

I'm guessing that Ramsey's clashed with Dead Famous coz it over ran by 3 mins and INPUT2 was recording Wife Swap.
    Big Bro probably failed coz it was scheduled in CH4's data after Wife Swap but it over ran causing a confussion of EPG Data. Please remember I'm just guessing here so if I'm talking rubbish don't yell at me!
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing that Ramsey's clashed with Dead Famous coz it over ran by 3 mins and INPUT2 was recording Wife Swap.
    Big Bro probably failed coz it was scheduled in CH4's data after Wife Swap but it over ran causing a confussion of EPG Data. Please remember I'm just guessing here so if I'm talking rubbish don't yell at me!

Does the EPG really handle 1/2/3 min overruns? In the past I've found that a programme that overrun so little just lost the end. Unless it was because DR decided to tape the second programme at changeover time.

As Dan said, I've had another thread running because I've had the issue 4 time in as many days. This is all since the C2 update. Maybe they have tweaked the DR code, and it's only on the overruns that my problems are now occuring?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter,

posted this on your DR test thread

Dan.