Options

No Presenter Is Bigger Than The Station, BUT...

Mr MiyagiMr Miyagi Posts: 180
Forum Member
Has a station ever noticeably missed a former presenter?

Has a presenter ever left a station, and the place has seemed to have lost something onair. Not just in the slot the presenter was in, but the whole station?

Obviously, every station get's over the loss of big presenters, but how long is the longest period you've noticed?

Comments

• Options
    bencraddock1bencraddock1 Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Talksport has missed Tommy Boyd ever since he went.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talksport has missed Tommy Boyd ever since he went.

Well on that principle, it hasn't been the same since Scott Chisholm left. But since it's not meant to be the same, he probably doesn't count.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sticking with TalkSport, they haven't been the same since they lost Caeser the Geezer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sticking with TalkSport, they haven't been the same since they lost Caeser the Geezer.

Yes, it improved immensely the day he left :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I think Birmingham's BRMB missed Phil Upton when he went to a rival brum station. He had a big presence and drew in the listeners.
    Luckily after a few years he returned to BRMB and bought a lot more listeners back with him! :)
  • Options
    Matt00011Matt00011 Posts: 1,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    webb lover wrote:
    I think Birmingham's BRMB missed Phil Upton when he went to a rival brum station. He had a big presence and drew in the listeners.
    Luckily after a few years he returned to BRMB and bought a lot more listeners back with him! :)

I agree. It was a great move for the station to bring him back. He is a good DJ who has gained much respect from his listeners.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    The hits and the lost of James Stannage, or mayber it's the fact that we can just hear him repeating himself in the background at midnight, who knows...

(actually "the hits non stop" is better than stannage)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    I don't think Galaxy 101 / Vibe 101 / Vibefm ever really recovered from the loss of Kam and Sally at breakfast. The ratings have been downhill ever since and their replacements were very poor in comparison. Have to wait and see how the new breakfast show shapes up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    would that be Kam & Sally of Core Control fame?

they are good, it doesn't surprise me that it's been downhill since then.
  • Options
    The Magic MonkeyThe Magic Monkey Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC London seems lost without Danny Baker. Look how many times he's left, only to return to 94.9
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Steve Colman on Metro late 80s/early 90s

And sorry it's probably obvious/too easy, but Chris Evans on Radio 1 (both times)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since Kenny Everit left Capital Radio, it hasn't been the same.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 2 went severely downhill when Wogan left in the 80s to do his talk show on BBC 1. They tried to replace him with Derek Jamieson, who had been a newspaper editor and knew bugger all about radio, but the man was so odious millions turned off in their droves and didn't return until Tel did.

Incidentally, does anyone remember who else they tried in that slot after Jamieson?
  • Options
    Dr.PhloxDr.Phlox Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it improved immensely the day he left :)

Whilst I admit sometimes Caesar was a bit up his own butt... Invicta was never the same after he "left" there. Especially as "The Yob" (forgot the DJ's name) who took over was no where near as funny.

DP
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    Bismark71 wrote:
    Incidentally, does anyone remember who else they tried in that slot after Jamieson?
    I think the order was:
    Terry Wogan
    Ken Bruce
    Derek Jameson
    Brian Hayes
    Terry Wogan

Radio 2 was pretty rubbish under the leadership of Francis Line.
  • Options
    Richie_lecturer1977Richie_lecturer1977 Posts: 3,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr.Phlox wrote:
    Whilst I admit sometimes Caesar was a bit up his own butt... Invicta was never the same after he "left" there. Especially as "The Yob" (forgot the DJ's name) who took over was no where near as funny.

DP

Was it Geoff Fitch or Tim Stewart?
  • Options
    DemonLemonDemonLemon Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keith Chegwin's bedroom internet radio station might miss him if he left. I think he's the only presenter on it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/new_media/1285191.stm
  • Options
    PetingoPetingo Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio 1 has never quite recaptured the spark from the golden era of Tony Blackburn, Stuart Henry, DLT and the Emperor.

(Apart from a brief renaissance in the mid 1970s when Johnnie Walker's lunchtime slot was the best music radio programme...ever)
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Petingo wrote:
    Radio 1 has never quite recaptured the spark from the golden era of Tony Blackburn, Stuart Henry, DLT and the Emperor.

Stuart Henry was a great DJ but his name rarely crops up nowadays. Used to listen to him on Radio 1 in the '70s, in the car on Saturdays, with my (Scottish) mother making fun of his Scots accent. He had the knack of turning his listeners into his "frainds".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he is dead, Inkblot.

I know he was crippled with Multiple Sclerosis or a similiar neurolical disease.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I am right, unfortunately.

http://www.radiorewind.co.uk/stuart_henry_page.htm

May he rest in peace.
  • Options
    Dr.PhloxDr.Phlox Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Al220385 wrote:
    Was it Geoff Fitch or Tim Stewart?

Nope, it was Ian Collins (remembered last night!)

DP
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Virgin after Nick Abbot and Dave Fanning left.
    I never bothered listening to it after that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Agree with Virgin and Nick Abbot, funny though - he seemed to lose it as well after leaving Virgin, never was quite as good again, also Wild Al Kelly on Talk Radio (talkSport)- worked the nightshift back then and he was never off, but after he left never listened to it again..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bismark71 wrote:
    Radio 2 went severely downhill when Wogan left in the 80s to do his talk show on BBC 1.

Wogan is still on BBC R2 in the mornings from 7.30am.

He is still the best presenter on R2. :D:D