Help - Sky+ disk space problems

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
Forum Member
I've come across my first real problem with Sky+ (Amstrad box) since I had it installed 5 months ago.

I'm having a serious problem with the amount of free disk space the box is reporting. I first noticed a problem a couple of weeks ago where the % of free space reported looked too low and didn't relate to the bar at the top of the planner screen. After reading threads here on similar problems, I did a power off/on and that appeared to fix the problem (or so I thought), as it now reported 54% free, which seemed to match the bar.

When I got home yesterday I checked the planner and found that a scheduled recording had failed due to a 'disk full' error. At the top of the page it did indeed say disk full, but the bar showed less than 50% was used and the recorded programmes added up to less than 50%. As I had other things to record, I've had to delete a film I hadn't yet got around to watching in order to get the box to report 14% free space and to actually record other scheduled programmes.

What can I do? I'm wary of phoning Sky after reading some of the negative comments on here regarding their customer services. I've tried powering it off/on again a couple of times to no effect. I'd rather leave a full system reset to a last resort due to the pain of watching and/or copying everything already recorded. However, if that's the only course of action, I'll have to do it.

Could this also be a sign of a HDD on its way out? If so, what replacement 40Gb drive would anyone recommend as a replacement? I don't want to go for a bigger disk due to the 17 min bug and its associated problems. I'd rather do it myself than pay the over-inflated price to Sky (40Gb disks are dirt cheap) or risk having them try to lump me with a refurb box (I like my Amstrad).

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer me on this.

Comments

• BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do a search on how to do 'housekeeping' but be aware that you will lose all your programs and future recording from the planner.

If that doesn't work then ??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Housekeeping - Press "services, 4, 0, 1, select" and choose "full system reset".

Phil