Freeview PVR (Panasonic TUCTH100)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
Forum Member
Hello everybody, in anticipation of the arrival of the Panasonic PVR here's the new thread to discuss it.

Comments

• simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought someone said the other week that Panasonic themselves had said that this product had been deleted from their roadmap? I know electrical discount have been claiming that it is due in x weeks time but I'm more inclined to believe the manufacturer!

Do you have more up to date information?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See today's posts in the Fusion thread - there is more information - and you'll see why this thread was started. I'm still trying to figure out if this box is twin tuner or not... most of the sites I can find it on sound like it is single tuner, only one states that it is twin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    I was on the the Fusion forum and the discussion drifting into Panasonic territory, as there is a whisper that it maght show at Unbeatable tomorrow, so it was about time to set up a new thread for it.
    Forum Member
    Ang wrote:
    See today's posts in the Fusion thread - there is more information - and you'll see why this thread was started. I'm still trying to figure out if this box is twin tuner or not... most of the sites I can find it on sound like it is single tuner, only one states that it is twin.

Ang - I hope its double tuner, there seems little point if its only one tuner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far it almost seems carefully worded .. they quite happily advertise the fact you can watch back a recording while making another recording, but they do not say anywhere you can watch one programme and record another.

I anticipate many people believing "Time Slip" relates to the same features of the DVD Recorders but it appears you can not watch a recording while it's still in progress. A feature people were hoping this would have over the Fusion or Thomson.

It may be the retailers being extra cautious at the moment as the spec hasn't been released yet.

But, it is going to be released despite the rumours. Panasonic have finally issued a confirmed cost to retailers and are said to be expecting a delivery soon. Lets hope they haven't moved the launch forward because of the interest in PVR right now and therefore left lots of bugs in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    simon69c wrote:
    ...I thought someone said the other week that Panasonic themselves had said that this product had been deleted from their roadmap?... .... but I'm more inclined to believe the manufacturer!
    I would be with you on that if the manufacturer had said it publicy but it was a case of "someone said".

Hopefully Jay23Sx has a reliable source of info.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djc wrote:
    Ang - I hope its double tuner, there seems little point if its only one tuner.
    I agree, although some people might not understand the difference and still buy it because it's Panasonic. I have the Fusion and would never go back to single. In fact, occasionally, triple would be nice! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    PANASONIC TUCTH100
    (Reference #398)
    Panasonic TU-CTH100
    Watch Free to View Freeview Digital TV
    7 day EPG Ready
    Twin Digital Tuners, watch one channel while recording another
    Built in 40GB hard drive for recording straight from digital TV
    Optical output with Dolby Digital Output
    Pause Live TV with "Time Slip" Chasing Playback Recording :rolleyes:
    Listen & Record DVB Radio
    Now & Next channel info
    Scrolling information bar
    Adjustable time out information on Information Bar
    Timer Record
    999 Channels storage
    Aspect control 16:9/4:3
    RF in
    RF out (loop through)
    2 RGB Scart Outputs Supporting Products

The above was taken from http://www.cheapelectricals.co.uk/acatalog/Panasonic_TUCTH100_tucth100_TUCTH100_tucth100.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My only concern about that is if Panasonic can't confirm the specification to unbeatable.co.uk ("because we haven't been told by the factory yet") .. how can cheap electricals guarantee thats the correct spec ?

Fingers crossed everything is wonderful and it'll be exactly as described.

I do notice one problem with that specification though, it says "7 Day EPG Ready" which means how on earth are you going to schedule future recordings if you only get Now & Next ? You'd have to do it all manually.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    Jay
    Who is it exactly you know? I'm impressed you were able to predict so accurately its appearance at Unbeatable. The next 2 questions are what will actuallydo and when will it actually show?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djc wrote:
    Who is it exactly you know?
    That would be telling :) Just CS staff ..
    djc wrote:
    what will actuallydo and when will it actually show?
    I don't think anyone can answer that question, sorry !
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Price compared with others I have seen.
    (won't place an order with unbeatable though because of the couriers they use....)

Unfortunately we are still none the wiser as to the exact spec, even unbeatable start with TBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And there is no indication that it is twin tuner... And as we know, "Awaiting stock from supplier" can be there for a long, long time... although I think Unbeatable would have learned from the Fusion not to put it there unless they had a pretty solid release date in the near future.
    Forum Member
    Lets hope its in the near future. There's still no sign of the Fusion on the Dixons or John Lewis sites. I think I'll mail Unbeatable to see if they can give a better indication of an expected delivery date for the Panasonic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,547
    Forum Member
    Barry wrote:
    Good Price compared with others I have seen.
    (won't place an order with unbeatable though because of the couriers they use....)

Unfortunately we are still none the wiser as to the exact spec, even unbeatable start with TBC.

In principle, I agree with you about CitiLink - far too rigid about deliveries. However, the last time I received anything from them, the courier arrived before we'd left for work and he said to my wife, "I came here first because I knew you'd be out later in the day".

Now that's service!
  • vuittionvuittion Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stuart62 wrote:
    In principle, I agree with you about CitiLink - far too rigid about deliveries. However, the last time I received anything from them, the courier arrived before we'd left for work and he said to my wife, "I came here first because I knew you'd be out later in the day".

Now that's service!

;) that sounds a little dodgy to me????
    Forum Member
    I've just had a reply from Unbeatable, see below:

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email.

We are hoping to recieve stock in 10-14 days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I love that company dealry (so to speak) can I just advise you to take that with a pinch of salt ?
    Forum Member
    Jay23Sx wrote:
    Although I love that company dealry (so to speak) can I just advise you to take that with a pinch of salt ?

Couldn't agree more, most parties (not just Unbeatable) involved with PVRs who have given a definite date have been wrong. Let's see what happens with this one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    djc wrote:
    I've just had a reply from Unbeatable, see below:

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email.

We are hoping to recieve stock in 10-14 days.

I emailed Unbeatable a while ago asking it they had stock, I never got a response, I hope someone from Unbeatable visits this forum because I for one will never buy anything from them, if they can't be bothed to reply then I can't be bothered to spend my money with them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    My first post - so hello all.

I have been following all the freeview PVR forums and threads and I've still not decided on which to buy.

I'm glad Panasonic seem to be going ahead with their own version as I've had my eye on this unit for awhile. Hopefully compitition will encourage all manufacturers to produce better PVRs and to keep them updated and supported.

Lets hope its not as long a wait as with the Fusion PVR! ;)
  • sky_usersky_user Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, Will it work on Top-up.tv?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    sky_user wrote:
    So, Will it work on Top-up.tv?

I would guess not because this unit was first described before TUTV was launched. If they have managed to redesign so quickly they will have a potentially winning product.
  • sky_usersky_user Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, its Far cheaper than SKY+.

Im pretty sure it wont be though..... Keeps waiting :)
This discussion has been closed.