Panasonic TX28/32DT30 IDTV

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
Forum Member
I would just like to ask the question of everyone reading this forum...

On your Panasonic TX28DT30 or TX32DT30 IDTV, have you got a situation where the sound drops out on the occasional syllable?

My experience is that the picture is absolutely perfect - always. The C/N is over 30db accross all multiplexes, the BER is <10-8, the multiplexes are fairly flat, the downlead is good quality double screened, the aerial is a DMX05WB baluned aerial. The aerial looks into open space and the downlead is nowhere near to any power cables. The downlead is one piece and runs straight (with NO kinks or sharp bends) to the aerial input of the IDTV.

I don't see how the set-up could be more perfect, but I still get sound dropout. This is not consistent by any means but can be evident for a few hours and may not re-appear for days/weeks on end. For this reason, it is very difficult to tie-down. Others in our locality (York) with the same set complain about the same effect, but so rarely that we can't decide if it happens at the same time during a programme.

If playing back a DVD through AV2, it still happens unless the aerial is unplugged from the set during playback - odd eh?

Comments

• MikeC2MikeC2 Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Hi

I live in Edinburgh and experience the same problem on my TX28DT30.

The problem only starts when I'm watching digital TV channels, but once it has started it affects DVD playback as well. It never affects analogue channels, and I find that switching to an analogue channel and back usually makes the problem go away.

There is a software update due next week (see http://www.dtg.org.uk/cgi-bin/download_schedule.pl) - maybe that will fix it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Now, that IS interesting! The sound problem doesn't affect analogue for me either - the only information I didn't give in my post.

I would be grateful if (when next playing a DVD and it does the sound thing) you could unplug the aerial to see if that fixes the sound.

My set has v1.11 software, I notice that the DTG site lists v1.13, so I'll try and find out what "fixes" are going on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the DTG website it says that TX-28DT30, TX-32DT30 & TX-32DT40 all will be updated but mine is TX-32DT4 will it get updated too?, its currently running 1.0.

Are TX-32DT4 and TX-32DT40 different sets? Do they share the same software?

Should I update tomorrow?

Sorry so many questions,

thanks!,

Ross
  • MikeC2MikeC2 Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Rutherbobs, I'm on version v1.11 too. I'll try unplugging the aerial the next time it happens. Of course, it might be a while before it happens again.

Ross, I don't know if the update will apply to your DT4. However, I don't think your TV will download the update unless it is suitable. To download the update you need to be tuned to a BBC channel so I suggest you leave your TV tuned to BBC1 or 2 one night this week, and your TV will download the update if is suitable.
    Forum Member
    I've always assumed that the DT30 and DT40 sets were quite different, but the DT4 and 40 seem to be the same. This makes the DTG upgrade statement confusing to me. Go to BBC News 24 (any EXCEPT BBC4) and ask the set to update the version. If it can, it will take it and if it can't it will do nothing - worth a try. Upgrades seem to run from about 10:00 am, so don't do it too early in the morning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rutherbobs wrote:
    I've always assumed that the DT30 and DT40 sets were quite different, but the DT4 and 40 seem to be the same. This makes the DTG upgrade statement confusing to me. Go to BBC News 24 (any EXCEPT BBC4) and ask the set to update the version. If it can, it will take it and if it can't it will do nothing - worth a try. Upgrades seem to run from about 10:00 am, so don't do it too early in the morning.

Thanks mate,

How confusing! So is the tech spec of both the DT4 and DT40 the same?

Ross
    Forum Member
    Oops! the DTG have got it wrong - according to Panasonic.

The OAD today is for TX28/32DT30 and TX32DH40 - NOT TX32DT40 as listed on the DTG website. Now I know why I am so confused over the OAD.

This OAD transmission is a fix for:
    1. BBC Parliament lock-up
    2. Now and Next update
    3. Memory loss

In answer to your question Ross, the OAD for TX28/32DT4 and 40 will be the same and will be re-transmitted later in the year. The software for that set is currently v2.27 and is up to date.
  • DEmmersonDEmmerson Posts: 1,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, my set has just downloaded the software and it takes about 8 minutes. Do not switch your set off, especially when it appears to have finished and you can't change channel as it is actually on an analogue channel (I think) and is reinitialising the software. I'm guessing at this as I missed the message when the download had completed but had not yet been run.

Now version 8.1.13.

Of Rutherbobs post, time will only tell if the 3 problems have been fixed. The only one that had affected me was the Now & Next problem (don't watch BBC Parliament). I actually noticed it change (on BBC2), something in over a year I cannot remember doing so. Maybe I was lucky, but hopefully it's a good sign.

One thing not mentioned in the upgrade is the shadow vertical line on DTT channels that is sometimes noticed when viewing light backgrounds (eg sky). Either my eyes are deceiving me but it may have been sorted. Again only time will tell but others may want to comment on this.

I only thank heavens I'm off this week. I dread to think what could have happened if my kids had been watching and hit the OK button to download.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rutherbobs wrote:
    . The software for that set is currently v2.27 and is up to date.

Well my set is running '1.0', so it is not up to date! :rolleyes:

'Later in the year' - Any ideas on when?

Thanks,

Ross
  • TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently running E8_1.11 on my TX28DT30. Am looking forward to running the update tonight to see what it fixes.

I don't get the audio breakup problem at all (fed from Sutton Coldfield mast)

Main faults on mine:
    1. Ch4 picture aspect ration unstable, keep twitching "widescreen" on and off. Other channels on the same mux work fine.
    2. Changing channels with subtitles on causes digiboard to reboot. Just noticed in the last week that if I go to Channel 13 ("702") and press "Subtitles", it reboots within 3 seconds.
    3. Now/Next often shows out of date info, eg: watching 6PM news on BBC1, now/next says I'm watching Neighbours, which had actually finished 15 mins earlier.
    4. Channel 4 text does not work. Older digiboxes say "sorry your box is not compatible", newer ones show it correctly, the DT30 tries and fails miserably.
    5. Switching from BBC Parliament to a fullscreen channel can cause loss of audio, until the channel is changed a few more times at which point audio can return.
    6. Occasional mode where the now/next info stops working completely. Need to reset TV to get it back, or do the channel 13 subtitles trick to get it to work.

Have also noticed that holding down the subtitle key on the remote for 4-5 seconds can occasionally get the digital board to reset, but the CH13 version seems more consistant.

Ironically, the BBC Multiscreen works on the DT30 which was not true on the DT40 earlier this year (might have been fixed on a recent update).

Good panasonic-specific IDTV chat board available at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/28dt30 , for other more general Freeview info Digitalspy seems to be one of the best sites around.

Also saw a warning in John Lewis on saturday about safety problems with the stands for the DT40 sets, but I have to admit I didn't write down the details.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I have encountered all the TX28DT30 problems listed here, particularly the timer one, which of course worked perfectly when the repairman came...

However, I have tried to update the software today. I followed all the instructions, waiting when told, and now have a blue screen that says "System update. Searching for new version... please wait!" I thought it would only take 8 minutes, but that was hours ago.

Switching off at the mains (after hours of waiting), removing Top-UP TV card and switching back on gives the same result.

Will it ever update?

Also, has anyone noticed picture distortions, akin to a flaw in a piece of glass? When credits roll horizontally, they seem squashed up on the far right hand side of the screen. This is particularly noticeable when watching football and the camera pans from side to side - a definite ripple on the RH edge is noticeable. Though this is the least of my worries now...
    Forum Member
    The set will only upgrade if on the BBC multiplex. Any BBC EXCEPT BBC4 does the trick but News24 seems best.

Going vay off topic, the stand thing is a recall of all Panasonic stands supplied with the new TX**PM1/11, TX**DTX1/10/40 models - there is a weld problem and Panasonic want to replace all stands as only a small quantity have actually been sold as yet. Go back to your retailer for info. The stands are not manufactured by Panasonic and the inital batch passed Q/C but subsequent ones were not so good and may collapse due to the poor quality weld at one point. Shops have been told to halt supply until replacement stands are available (this week).

For DT4/40 upgrades, keep an eye on the DTG website (see the earlier posting) but the set should tell you when there is one being transmitted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got the update. The BBC Parliament problem, the subtitle problems and the now/next probs seem fixed (although ITV2 still tells me it's the middle of the night).

Am surprised at the weld problem ... the stand from my DT30 was mostly flat-pack wood if I recall correctly so things must have changed a bit there.
  • tichtichtichtich Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, has anyone noticed picture distortions, akin to a flaw in a piece of glass? When credits roll horizontally, they seem squashed up on the far right hand side of the screen. This is particularly noticeable when watching football and the camera pans from side to side - a definite ripple on the RH edge is noticeable.
    Yes, a few people have noticed that, including me (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/28dt30/message/2). It affects both sides of the screen, but the right side does seem worse. I suspect that a certain amount of distortion at the sides of the screen is not unusual, but this TV has it particularly badly. I reported it to Panasonic, but never got any reply.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On your Panasonic TX28DT30 or TX32DT30 IDTV, have you got a situation where the sound drops out on the occasional syllable?
    I've only noticed something like this when playing back self-recorded DVDs on my Panasonic E50 DVD recorder (and only occasionally). I assumed the recorder was at fault.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rutherbobs wrote:
    This OAD transmission is a fix for:
    1. BBC Parliament lock-up
    2. Now and Next update
    3. Memory loss

I guess "memory loss" means memory leaks in the software, which probably explains why the subtitles no longer appear to force the digiboard to reboot.

If these are the main objectives of the update then I'd say mission accomplished. Now to listen out for news on the timer, Teletext on 4 and the CH4 aspect ratio.

All in all it's a good first step in the right direction. But I hope it's the first of many.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    My TV has also got a "System Update - No software available" blue screen aswell.... ARRRRG

anyone happen to know how this can be fixed?

ta
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Please see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/28dt30/ for problems on or after the recent software upgrade on TX28DT30 (or the 32"version).

Regards

Chris
    Forum Member
    Sadly, the only cure for the blue screen scenario is a replacement XV panel. This panel houses the v1.11 or v1.13 software, which has "crashed" and without it cannot function at all. Even a factory reset is no good to recover this.

Luckily, Panasonic do an exchange panel for only about 20% of the original new panel price of over £500.00 inc. fitting. Get your Panasonic repairer to order one for you - Panasonic have stock at present.
  • kradcliffekradcliffe Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    So it looks like some owners will have to shell out money because Panasonic's updating is crap - I find that totally unbeleivable.

My update went OK, but maybe I was one of the lucky ones.

Surely the problem can be fixed by a forced cam update and not a whole new panel .....

And the government want people on to freeview - there are a shitload more problems with this new system than there EVER were with analogue tellys. All these problems need sorted before it goes over to the masses.

And I thought Micro$oft were bad at releasing half cut stuff - hey could learn quite a few lessons from Panasonic.

Their call centre is by far the worst I've EVER dealt with - if you're lucky enough to get someone to actually pick up the phone. They are just PATHETIC and then some.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    That sucks, you would think they would have designed a backup system for when this sorta thing happens... theres no way panasonic can expect people to payout for something like this.

My TV is currently still under garrentee with empiredirect and i should have an engineer round sometime within the next week, but i cant see that he will be able to do much with it. Im just hoping empiredirect will replace it.....
  • sky_usersky_user Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I plugged my IDTV in for the first time, Be just used for sky until now.

Plugged it in with old software, when will i get an update, Its been on since 19th july,Does it need to be swirched on?
  • kradcliffekradcliffe Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    sky_user wrote:
    I plugged my IDTV in for the first time, Be just used for sky until now.

Plugged it in with old software, when will i get an update, Its been on since 19th july,Does it need to be swirched on?

You need to switch it on and go to Multiplex 1 (BBC1, News24 etc.). It should pull the update automatically, but if not, you can force it in the DVB settings. If you have not ran the DVB tuning setup, it will not receive the OAD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sky_user wrote:
    It needs to be switched on and tuned to a BBC channel. You should then get a prompt asking if you want to update.

But, given that some people have had their TV rendered unusable by the update, I would strongly recommend you don't download it.

If you don't get a prompt, it may be that Panasonic has got its act together and asked DTG to stop broadcasting the update. That's certainly what they should do.
  • DEmmersonDEmmerson Posts: 1,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For all those unfortunate to now have a television that doesn't work, you should be able to get Panasonic to fix it free of charge under the Trades Description Act. Do not be palmed off by the 1 year guarantee line as any goods sold must be 'fit for the purpose' and last a reasonable amount of time. The definition of reasonable varies between products but a television can be expected to last at least 5 years. Most of these sets are less than two years old and the manufactors would not stand a chance in a small claims court, especially if the product is in it's original condition.

Contact Watchdog, TSO, etc and tell the shop where you bought the set that you expect them to fix it free of charge else you will reclaim the expenditure from them through the small claims court. It's quite simple and does not involve a lot of work. I would suspect that most of the time they won't bother to defend it and you will be awarded judgement.

Good luck.