Options

Strange Widescreen format on ITV Meridian with Sky+

cjgperscjgpers Posts: 1,768
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm seeing a very strange widescreen format effect on ITV Meridian. Only on this region, I've checked ITV Grampian and don't see the problem. And only on a Sky+ box, not a normal Digibox.

My Digibox (Sky+) is set to 16:9 format. When the ITV picture is in 4:3, my Panasonic widescreen TV seems to detect something that switches it into a Wide zoom mode, even thought there are no black borders. Even stranger, it shifts the whole picture down, cutting off the bottom of the picture (about half the S&S Banner), and revealing various white dots/dashes at the top of the screen. When it goes to adverts (in 16:9), it correctly switches to anamorphic 16:9. If I pause playback on Sky+, the picture switches back to a normal 4:3 display. Press play, and it switches back to this strange format.

Are ITV perhaps experimenting with different switching flags, or have they just got it wrong. Is anyone else seeing this effect on ITV Meridian or any other ITV regions? Or perhaps this is a bug introduced with the new Sky+ software?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I am experiencing exactly the same problem on Meridian. I have a Pace V1 Sky+ box and have yesterday's update installed. My TV is a Panasonic 36" Widescreen QuintrixSR.
    Matt
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've done a bit more testing on this, using a recording of GMTV this morning. It appears that Sky/Pace have implemented some sort of Line 23 widescreen switching in the Sky+ box, since even if I turn Scart control OFF in the Sky+ setup, it still does this switching. So, looks like ITV Meridian are transmitting a 4:3 picture with Line 23 indicating widescreen.

This is just a theory, but it's becoming damn annoying. Only seems to affect studio type programmes, not films, etc. However, good to see that Sky/Pace are exploring new widescreen switching options, but perhaps they need to tell ITV Meridian how to use it properly.

A bit of research here suggests that ITV Meridian are sending "0100" in the Group 1 section of Line 23, indicating 430 active lines, with TOP position.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjgpers wrote:
    Are ITV perhaps experimenting with different switching flags, or have they just got it wrong. Is anyone else seeing this effect on ITV Meridian or any other ITV regions? Or perhaps this is a bug introduced with the new Sky+ software?

All the BBC 1 English regions (except London) carried L23 WSS
    signals until a month ago. This was passed by my Sky+ box, and
    confused the TV (1996 Sony WS) when a 4:3 programme was broadcast. Some older w/s TVs incorrectly inturpret the 4:3 L23 sigal as a command to go into 'Smart' mode. I've not noticed the problem
    with Meridian via my Sky+ box, I'll watch a 4:3 programme (The news)
    later and see what happens. I think if anything the issue is with Meridian, and not the Sky+ box. As with the Beeb the L23 signal is used internally but should be blanked before it hits the uplink.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    Mark C, you are correct that this is exactly what the BBC were doing (wrong) until recently.
    Anyone interested can see my detailed explaination of why this is wrong here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've emailed Meridian using their website - http://www.itvregions.com/form_feedback.php?region=Meridian

Hopefully they'll take notice and fix this, but would suggest others email them as well. I'm assuming this affects non-Sky+ digiboxes as well, although I got no replies at all to my thread on the normal Satellite forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjgpers wrote:
    I've emailed Meridian using their website - http://www.itvregions.com/form_feedback.php?region=Meridian
    FIXED :)
    Got the following reply from the Duty Office
    Our engineers have advised the problem should now be rectified.

Tthere was some reconfiguration work being carried out on the
    transmission path for Meridian DSAT and some erroneous widescreen
    switching data was getting through the system.

Duty Officer-AT
    ITV VIewer Enquiries
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjgpers wrote:
    FIXED :)
    Got the following reply from the Duty Office

Result !

I looked at around 18:30 and neither Meridian News, nor
    the ITN news exhibited the problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    I think that's amazing that you actually got through to someone, they knew what you were talking about, and managed to fix it. Not only that you got a sensible reply from the duty office!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pcbbc wrote:
    I think that's amazing that you actually got through to someone, they knew what you were talking about, and managed to fix it. Not only that you got a sensible reply from the duty office!
    Agree. I was pleasantly suprised, and wished Sky had a similarly efficient system. However, I did describe the problem fully, and linked to this discussion, so hopefully the details posted in this discussion helped them diagnose the problem quickly.