Options

Can you like a song without liking the artist?

pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A few months back I played a trick on one of my more 'music snob' friends. He was a big Dum Dums fan in their day and the first time I heard McFly's Obviously it reminded me for some reasons of Can't Get You Out of My Thoughts (a great tune). So, I started raving to him about the "brand new Dum Dums single" that was on its way, and gave him the MP3 of Obviously to 'check it out'. He couldn't get enough of it, it was played in his car, straight in his MP3 player, and off he went to tell others about the Dum Dums' return.

Obviously, I had to end the trick sometime, so I broke the news to him a few days later that he had infact been listening to McFly, the 'mini-Busted losers with no talent' he'd been slagging off just days before. Oddly enough, he now hates the song, but I don't get how people can be so fickle. The song hasn't changed, all that has is my friend's knowledge of who sings it - so how can he go from love to hate?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is - even though you hate, say, Busted (the most popular band to hate at the mo!), does that mean you will never like a Busted song? Even if, if that same song were sung by someone different, you would lap[ it up?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    i once played a song written by paul mccartney to a friend on guitar.she assumed i wrote it and asked me 'when did you write that,it's really good'.when i explained it was by sir paul,she suddenly said 'it's a crap song anyway'.funny that,eh?that kind of stupidity makes me think :rolleyes:.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends how much you hate the artist.

I don't think I could ever like a Busted or McFly song.

I like Cry me a river by Justin Timberlake but I don't like him or any of his other songs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,440
    Forum Member
    Reminds me of my mate.

A few years ago, he was the biggest pop music (Kylie in particular) fan, until I introduced him to some of Metallica's slower numbers (Orion, and Nothing Else Matters) one night, during a maraton gaming (well, drinking and pizza) session.
    When he asked who it was, he didn't believe me until I showed him the CD covers.
    Within a week, he had borrowed everything I had by them, as he "Couldn't get that bloody tune (Orion)" out of his head.

He now owns the entire back catalogue, and the 'S&M' DVD is rarely out of his DVD player.

He still can't get me to listen to Kylie though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I could ever like a Busted or McFly song.
    My mate has said exactly the same thing.

It's amazing how he loved it while he thought it was somebody else - I mean, that isn't just slight music cynicism, that smacks of complete music snobbery.
  • Options
    stupid_cubestupid_cube Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i totaly hate oasis
    but i love the song
    roll with it
  • Options
    Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    Boyzone make me want to vomit!
    However I love the song 'Baby Can I Hold You'
    Of course, it's the Tracy Chapman original that I love - NOT Boyzone's Travesty!
  • Options
    EsterhausEsterhaus Posts: 2,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's definitely possible to like a song even if it's by someone you usually hate. Like, I always liked Mmm Bop by Hanson even though they were just basically a bunch of pre-pubescent tousle-haired muppets.

I won't deny I've gone through my own musical snobbery phase too in the past but really that's just like cutting off your own nose to spite your face.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's perfectly possible to like a song and not like the artist as a person. I don't like Morrissey much as a person, but I rather like a lot of Smiths songs. I also don't especially like some of the things that George Michael has done, but I still think Careless Whisper is a cracker.
  • Options
    PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing about pop music is that it isn't just about the music. When you buy into an artist you buy into the everything they represent. If they represent something you don't like it's very hard to like a record even if it is "catchy" on first hearing. So I don't think you can condemn someone too much for changing their mind when they find out who the artist is. It's natural.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You will publicly state you dont like it because of the artist maybe, but im sure secretly you would still like hearing it. As for the example of the original posters mate, it is too late for him to start hating it now.

I cant be bothered with this not liking a song just because of who it is. Ultimately its the music that matters, the artist should be second.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plant wrote:
    The thing about pop music is that it isn't just about the music. When you buy into an artist you buy into the everything they represent. If they represent something you don't like it's very hard to like a record even if it is "catchy" on first hearing. So I don't think you can condemn someone too much for changing their mind when they find out who the artist is. It's natural.

I disagree. Its a complete no brainer suddenly changing your mind and is total snobbery. It also makes the person look daft. :D
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    First of all, the absolute cretin who designed PCs so that, when you press delete it goes back a page in Windows should be hung live on the National Lottery Show.

Right, sorry. Aaaaaanyway. It's amazing how if you don't know the name of the artist behind a song, but then find out it's Savage Garden or something, it completely puts you off.

There's two different issues here - people who don't give credit where it's due to certain songs because they are performed by artists who have no credibility, and those who cannot look beyond a certain genre. Both are completely wrong.

Obviously by McFly is a great song - there, I've said it. The worst artists in the world have come up with great records (Don't Let Go by David Sneddon, Toxic by Britney Spears, and the odd song here and there by S Club 7 and Steps being great examples). A good song is a good song is a good song, basically. I take the point about buying into an artist, almost a 'brand' as such, but if we only liked songs written by people whose public persona we like, then we'd be stuck, because I suspect if we met the vast majority of celebrities, we'd be highly disappointed. Listen without prejudice. Or try to, anyway, I know it's difficult.

And loser indie kids (or those who are only into one genre) who refuse to acknowledge pop are just as bad. Sure, Franz Ferdinand, Mull Historical Society and Ash are producing great tracks, and the likes of Boards of Canada are wonderfully obscure. But manufactured pop like Avril Lavigne can be just as good. I'll never be able to understand people who can only like one type of music.
  • Options
    RedundantRedundant Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i was talking about this to my friends today. I was saying how people have got it into there heads that its cool to hate bands like busted and mcfly and they dont give there songs a chance and if they do like it they are to ashamed to admit it pfft
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant be bothered with this not liking a song just because of who it is. Ultimately its the music that matters, the artist should be second.

Gary Glitter will be comforted by that sentiment. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PauLL wrote:
    its cool to hate bands like busted and mcfly
    Yep. Anything manufactured has to be shit. I notice in the Worst Song Thread and others that people are quick to write off anyone who was discovered by Pop Idol/Stars, totally forgetting the fact that despite his origins, Will Young (for example) is one of the most talented artists Britain has at the moment.

Arguments against bands like Busted tend to range from the bizarre to the banal. "They're shit" - constructive criticism or what! "They're manufactured" - not too sure how this affects the end result; surely it makes it more refined? "Their songs sound the same" - please show me how Sleeping With the Light On and Air Hostess sound the same... "They're full of themselves" - yep, we all hate the Beatles after their 'bigger than Jesus' claim(!); "They don't write their own songs" - if the end result is good, does it matter who wrote it?

It is worrying that people are so wrapped up in street cred and appearing cool that they overlook some truly brilliant songs simply 'cos of who they're sung by!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can like a particular song by an artist I don't generally like - it happens a lot.

But if the reason for not liking the artist is because of something they've done/said that I found distressing, I could never enjoy listening to one of their songs. Just as an example, I couldn't enjoy listening to a Gary Glitter song no matter how much I liked it. I wouldn't say it's the SONG I dislike though, just that it would remind me of things I prefer not to have to think about...if that makes sense?

It works the opposite way too - I can admire an artist but not like every single one of their songs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    salomeuk wrote:
    I can like a particular song by an artist I don't generally like - it happens a lot.

But if the reason for not liking the artist is because of something they've done/said that I found distressing, I could never enjoy listening to one of their songs. Just as an example, I couldn't enjoy listening to a Gary Glitter song no matter how much I liked it. I wouldn't say it's the SONG I dislike though, just that it would remind me of things I prefer not to have to think about...if that makes sense?

It works the opposite way too - I can admire an artist but not like every single one of their songs.
    Fair points- I refuse to listen to Simple Minds since I discovered they were Celtic fans and IRA sympathisers.
  • Options
    ClunkClunk Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bapak wrote:
    Fair points- I refuse to listen to Simple Minds since I discovered they were Celtic fans and IRA sympathisers.

But before you knew that did you like their songs ?

I guess I can see a logic in not buying (and therefore financially supporting) someone because of these sorts of reasons (well - the IRA bit anyway).

On the whole I have found that especially as I get older, I am less and less aware of who the hell is performing any particular song, and even less aware of their politics etc, so I tend to judge a song on whether or not I like the actual song itself.

If I sit and think about it there are loads of bands/artists that I don't like as people - but to me a good ditty is a good ditty. :)

(PS - in case you are wondering I am 102 and my real name is C Montgomery Burns :p ..................................................Excellent !)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose the whole idea is 'credible' artists against 'non-credible' artists. As someone said earlier, most of the time there is this idea that you are in some way buying into 'a way of life' by buying a CD from a non-credible source.

Personally, I tend to dislike most 'artists', mainly because they spout middle-of-the-road opinions on issues which they know nothing about, other than that they have been taught by 'The Sun' or 'Telegraph' (depending on whether they are pop puppets or indie gods).
    However, if I like a track then I like a track and if I don't then I don't. Case in point? Britney's 'Toxic' is the best example that comes to mind; can't stand the girl or her 'music', yet 'Toxic' has an addictive quality that I love!

I think we do tend to forget that it is rarely the artists that actually write the songs, or compose the music or even perform on the tracks (thanks to digital manipulation and talented producers ;)). For example, Cathy Dennis has written several top ten hits over the past few years including Kylie's 'Can't Get You Outta My Head', yet it is rare that she is given the credit for the success!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Clunk wrote:
    But before you knew that did you like their songs ?

I guess I can see a logic in not buying (and therefore financially supporting) someone because of these sorts of reasons (well - the IRA bit anyway).

On the whole I have found that especially as I get older, I am less and less aware of who the hell is performing any particular song, and even less aware of their politics etc, so I tend to judge a song on whether or not I like the actual song itself.

If I sit and think about it there are loads of bands/artists that I don't like as people - but to me a good ditty is a good ditty. :)

(PS - in case you are wondering I am 102 and my real name is C Montgomery Burns :p ..................................................Excellent !)
    I admire them as musicians,but I won't waste my electricity on them.Ditto Billy Bragg and U2.
  • Options
    ClunkClunk Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bapak wrote:
    I admire them as musicians,but I won't waste my electricity on them.Ditto Billy Bragg and U2.

But if you heard a song (say a mate played it to you) and you had no idea who it was by but really really liked it - would you then go off it (and never listen to it again) just because you found out it was by an artist you don't like ?

If you really enjoyed listening to it before you knew, isn't that cutting off your nose to spite your face ?

(By the way - I am not arguing or saying you are wrong - just interested :) )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Clunk wrote:
    But if you heard a song (say a mate played it to you) and you had no idea who it was by but really really liked it - would you then go off it (and never listen to it again) just because you found out it was by an artist you don't like ?

If you really enjoyed listening to it before you knew, isn't that cutting off your nose to spite your face ?

(By the way - I am not arguing or saying you are wrong - just interested :) )
    I would still like the SONG,but I would not buy it or listen to it.It depends on individual cases of course.IRA supporters I abhor,e.g. the artists I mention.I would not be so strict if the singer was say,a Lib Dem.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course you can.

It can be a real shock when you hear a new tune and like it only to find out it's by somebody you consider manufactured or tacky.

Case in point, couldn't stand Robbie Williams or Take That but adored Angels for weeks before I found out it was him.
  • Options
    devo livedevo live Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I like what I hear, I don't mind who it's by. I guess the thing that riles with me is when an artist has one great song, and then manages to make a popular career out of it, and subsequent sub standard follow ups sell more than they would have done off their own back. Meanwhile other great music gets completely overlooked. Oh well, that's life. Always has been, and probably always will be.
  • Options
    metafismetafis Posts: 11,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great Thread!.
    I often wonder sometimes if its possible the other way round. Ie to like an artist ,but to hate their music?. It always seems to me that if someone doesnt like the music, then they also dislike the artist as well. Ive often wondered why this is.

Anyway, I didnt like Robbie Williams, never have done much, but have liked most of his solo work. especially his 'angels, millenium' period.

Conversly, I dont like the cheeky girls music much at all, but quite like them as people, I find them funny and endearing.

eg on popworld

Simon 'Monica, what would you like to find in your xmas stocking'
    Monica.. 'Pens, I'd like some pens'.

(You had to be there, surreally funny)