Sky + Crashing whilst recording & being watched at same time - any ideas?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
Forum Member
Hi Guys.

Long-time reader, first-time poster.

Apologies if this has already been covered in a thread, but I'd appeciate knowing if anyone knows anything about this. Also sorry for long-winded-ness, but I feel there may be a pattern here.

I have a V1 Pace box (just been upgraded to the new software = this problem has been going on for a while however, but does seem more frequent since the upgrade.

Basically, at periodic intervals, the unit is recording a program, and I am watching a recorded program, the box goes crackers, reboots itself, and loses whatever programme I am recording.

Example 1: Recording Lad's Army Last Thursday, started watching the recording before the whole show had finished recording. I had been watching it for 15 mins and the box crashed. After rebooting, It said the recording had failed and I could not play any of it.

Example 2: Recording Top Gear and Lads Army (the one from Thursday!) on ITV2 both at the same time. Started watching Top Gear from the recording (again before recording had finished). At around five past nine, The box crashed & both shows wiped from the drive - one said failed (unknown), the other said cancelled.

This has occurred twice in 4 days now, usually only happened about once a month.

I have a theory, but need to study it if (when) it happens again. I am wondering if the actual recording it only fully commited to disk when the recording finishes, until then it is just held in a disk buffer (like live pause). The crash tonight seemed to occur at the the time when the two simultaneous recordings would have ended (and committed to disk?) They defineitely were recording until the crash, cos I was watching Top Gear from the recording-in-progress. Again, last Thursday I was watching a recording-in-progress, and I think it crashed about the same time that the recording would have finished (the only difference was that I was not recording two programmes at the time).

If I am correct, the sitation is that the box crashes if you are watching a recording that is still in progress, when that recording tries to finish and commit itelf to disk. I will be careful to see if the next crash follows this pattern, but I am pretty sure every crash has occurred whilst watching a recording-in-progress (though not every time I watch a recording-in-progress)

Anyone else have this problem - is it a known bug? Its' driving me mad. A VCR seems so primitive now, but at least it didn't lose my favourite programs!

Many thanks

Paul

Anyon

Comments

• njeonjeo Posts: 6,341
    Forum Member
    Hmm... mine was finishing recording one programme and starting to record another on the same channel... the only dual recording was the minute or so between the first programme ending and the second programme starting.

Nethertheless as I was watching another channel, it interupted my viewing so I went into the planner and started watching the start of the first programme until I could tune to another channel.

Fair enough... I waited 'til 5 past midnight and then pressed backup, but then a funny thing happened. It still said recording... I tuned into the channel I was first recording, UKTV Docs, to see my hour long programme starting at 11pm was still running... at 12.05am... hmm.

Went back to the planner and now my 11pm programme isn't accessible and I've had to delete it. Oh dear. My 12pm programme has recorded okay.

Back to UKTV Docs and my 11pm programme is still in the 'NOW' slot, even though it had finished broadcasting and was recording the 12pm programme. At 03.18, the 11pm programme is still showing as 'NOW' but the programmes between are absent from the schedule.

Ah well...

Not seen this happen before and I hope it's an isolated incident. Did pick up elsewhere on these forums that it's good practice to keep the box in standby when performing dual recording, so as to get a complete ending and the start of both programmes.
  • noikznoikz Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else have this problem

I've been getting this a lot since the software update last week.

My girlfriend was watching Big Brother last night 30 minutes behind the broadcast. The box crashed and the recording was unwatchable when the box had completed rebooting. The only option available was to delete. When this happened there was another show due to start recording 5 minutes after the crash. This was then marked as FAILED.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Thanks chaps - more coming to light - see this thread: http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=142936 - If you are having this problem, please post and let us know. Hope to call sky when I get back from working away this week, and don't want them to fob me off and tell me it's just an isolated incident.

If anyone discusses with Sky in the meantime, please let us know how you get on.

Thanks guys

Paul
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    All too often I am loosing recordings for no explainable reason.
    Tonight I was recording BBC1 second part of Waking The Dead
    and watching the recording some half an hour behind real time.
    At the end I exited the recording I was watching then tried to replay it from the beginning for my wife to watch tomorrow. The V1 box locked at the info screen - I could get out to live TV and come back to try again two or three times - no go - finally re-set the box to find the recording had failed. !!!

What sort of steps do we have to take to get Sky to sort out these problems??