Options

7 Day EPG & TV Anytime

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
Forum Member
As far as I understand it the EPG being rolled out uses EIT (Event Information Table), which is an extension of the Now/Next system.

However the DTG and TDN are apparently committed to switching to TV Anytime (the system Sky currently uses). I always thought this was a proprietary system but it’s actually an open standard.

For more information take a look at http://www.dtg.org.uk/latest/latest_si_uk_rollout.htm (At the bottom of the article), http://www.dtg.org.uk/publications/press_releases/040525_dtg_tva.pdf and http://www.tv-anytime.org.

What are the benefits of TV Anytime, and will any current receivers be able to support it?
Also, dare I ask, what sort of timescale can we expect (if ever). Bear in mind DTT’s only just got a 7-day EPG after 6 years!

Comments

• Options
    Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading the PDF document on the DTG site suggests that over air trials won't start until 2006 at the earliest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark Smith wrote:
    Reading the PDF document on the DTG site suggests that over air trials won't start until 2006 at the earliest.
    Yeah I know - it'll be a long way off (if ever), but what are the benefits of the current (new) system.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jacoba wrote:
    Bear in mind DTT’s only just got a 7-day EPG after 6 years!

To be fair, DTT was extremely undernourished by Ondigital and they used out-dated technology.

I seem to remember an mheg based EPG and I'm sure it was more than one day (not ntl).

Freeview was a new start for DTT, if On Digital was a pregnancy then Freeview was the birth and look how far things have come in that time.

*More free channels
    *Better reception on MUX 1, B, C & D
    *Huge choice of set-top-boxes
    *Improvement in interactive services - BBCi, 701/2, BBC News, BBC Parliament 1/4 screen.
    *Radio services
    *7 day EPG
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Jacoba wrote:
    ....What are the benefits of TV Anytime, and will any current receivers be able to support it?.....
    Good question, hopefully it will provide better support for PVRs with things like "series links". It seems those responsible for the EPG are very shy of any publicity.
    Very much doubt any current boxes support it, but a good question to ask the manufacturer before buying is if they will provide support when it appears. From past record I would not expect the likes of Panasonic to provide support (they will want to sell you a new box cf the TUCT20/30 and the current EPG), but the likes of Humax may.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jacoba wrote:
    As far as I understand it the EPG being rolled out uses EIT (Event Information Table), which is an extension of the Now/Next system.

However the DTG and TDN are apparently committed to switching to TV Anytime (the system Sky currently uses). I always thought this was a proprietary system but it’s actually an open standard....
    How can Sky be using TV Anytime - it's only just been standardised and is yet to be trialled?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TallDave wrote:
    How can Sky be using TV Anytime - it's only just been standardised and is yet to be trialled?
    Maybe they don't yet, but they're part of the TV Anytime Forum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jacoba wrote:

However the DTG and TDN are apparently committed to switching to TV Anytime (the system Sky currently uses). I always thought this was a proprietary system but it’s actually an open standard.

No they don't, Sky use a proprietary standard
    Jacoba wrote:
    For more information take a look at http://www.dtg.org.uk/latest/latest_si_uk_rollout.htm (At the bottom of the article), http://www.dtg.org.uk/publications/press_releases/040525_dtg_tva.pdf and http://www.tv-anytime.org.

What are the benefits of TV Anytime, and will any current receivers be able to support it?
    Also, dare I ask, what sort of timescale can we expect (if ever). Bear in mind DTT’s only just got a 7-day EPG after 6 years!

browsing TV Anytime you can see information about:
      Enhanced EPG style data Segmentation of recordings (Chapters?) Making it unnecessary to know the date/time of a programme to record it Group recordings Recording links in programs/trailers (e.g. press button when trailer is on and auto record)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Geordie_Cy wrote:
    Recording links in programs/trailers (e.g. press button when trailer is on and auto record)
    They're apparently developing this for Sky+, so maybe that's when Sky are switching?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jacoba wrote:
    They're apparently developing this for Sky+, so maybe that's when Sky are switching?

No, Sky+ is a proprietary system. TV-Anytime is open for use by anyone, if Sky upgrade to use it that's upto them, but it's not specificaally designed for them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Geordie_Cy wrote:
    No, Sky+ is a proprietary system. TV-Anytime is open for use by anyone, if Sky upgrade to use it that's upto them, but it's not specificaally designed for them.
    I meant they're developing the functionality to allow you to record links in programs/trailers for Sky+. Therefore at that time they may switch to TV-Anytime.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    I've seen a TV-Anytime demo and it's very cool stuff.

It seems that the new infrastructure that was installed for the current 8 day EPG was constructed with TV-Anytime in mind. From BBC R&D's annual report:

"
    If a full TV-Anytime service is to be
    introduced in the future it will require
    significant developments in the BBC’s internal
    information systems to sustain a consistent,
    rich flow of programme information for all
    TV and radio services.The introduction of
    seven-day EPG schedules on DTT is a first
    step towards the deployment of TV-Anytime
    data carriage."
    Page 25, Annual Report.

One of the best docs on TV-Anytime is by philips here although it's a few years old.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    One of the best docs on TV-Anytime is by philips here although it's a few years old.

Thanks for the link "Too much juice". So it looks like TV-Anytime will be able to do series links and cope with program times changing amongst other things. Sounds excellent but a good few years away I guess.