Options

Amstrad SKY+

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
Forum Member
About 3 weeks ago new code was downloaded to the boxes. Amstrad DRX-180. I would like to hear if some of the things that were happening have gone away. Press services,4,5 see if the operating system version says
1.31A08.
I would like to know as we are still working on the next download to get to ultimate perfection- If thats ever posssible.

Regards

Sir Alan Sugar

Comments

• Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    > to get to ultimate perfection

I think when it can pour me a glass of Tiger beer while it's recording, then you might be getting close to perfection.

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well that might be a bit hard, but in our next version we will see if we can include it

Sir Alan

Mark A wrote:
    > to get to ultimate perfection

I think when it can pour me a glass of Tiger beer while it's recording, then you might be getting close to perfection.

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    To be honest I've never had a problem with my Amstrad Sky+ (oh God why did I say that!!). What problems in particular were being reported ?
  • Options
    digigriffindigigriffin Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only had my amstrad since last sunday.

This is my second Sky+ under the multiroom agreement.
    The first one is a Pace so I will be comparing issue one with the other.

What does the Pace seem to be one software update ahead of the Amstrad?

I think that my Pace was on 1.31A08 (like the amstrad now) for a short while prior to going 1.31A8.
  • Options
    biggbigg Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I would like the TV Guide to be as fast as my old Panasonic digibox becaause the cursor does seem to lag behind the key presses a lot of the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Three biggest issues for me are:

1) Lag after pressing buttons.
    - Panasonic TU-DSB30 Sky used to be lightning fast
    - Pace Sky+ box prior to this one used to be slower than panny, but didn't have the lag.
    - Amstrad sometimes I can press Services, 4, 5, as you have highlighted and it lags for 4 or 5 seconds before it does anything.

2) Sensitivity (not sure if this is hardware related though). Pace box used to be fine in the rain, Amstrad box seems to lose signal in moderate rainfall now.

3) Fan doesn't seem to come on, gets very hot, but is quiet. It's a matter of time before it overheats methinks? I'm sure after a code update the PACE had the fan on all the time rather than just when it got hot

Alan, are we still to get 1.31A8, or are you talking about versions beyond this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You should have 1.31A08

There is no way there should be a few second delay as you decribe such as services 4,5. I just did it 5 times on my box and each and every time it reacts very fast.

Perhaps you should try a re boot and if that does not work you need to get the box seen to or replaced.

Dont worry about our box getting warm, there is no problem there, trust me it will last longer than a unit with a fan that is on all day long which finaly conks out and then lets the box fry. Our fan is designed to kick in only in very hot situations . We made a load of ventilation slots on top of the cabinet to let the hot air out. I hope you have not covered the holes up with a magazine or newspapers on top. The unit is fine to be used in a stack with other equipment as long as the unit above it has some small feet to leave a gap between the 2 items.

Sir Alan Sugar

Sir Alan
    Cuppa wrote:
    Three biggest issues for me are:

1) Lag after pressing buttons.
    - Panasonic TU-DSB30 Sky used to be lightning fast
    - Pace Sky+ box prior to this one used to be slower than panny, but didn't have the lag.
    - Amstrad sometimes I can press Services, 4, 5, as you have highlighted and it lags for 4 or 5 seconds before it does anything.

2) Sensitivity (not sure if this is hardware related though). Pace box used to be fine in the rain, Amstrad box seems to lose signal in moderate rainfall now.

3) Fan doesn't seem to come on, gets very hot, but is quiet. It's a matter of time before it overheats methinks? I'm sure after a code update the PACE had the fan on all the time rather than just when it got hot

Alan, are we still to get 1.31A8, or are you talking about versions beyond this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan sugar wrote:
    Dont worry about our box getting warm, there is no problem there, trust me it will last longer than a unit with a fan that is on all day long which finaly conks out and then lets the box fry. Our fan is designed to kick in only in very hot situations . We made a load of ventilation slots on top of the cabinet to let the hot air out. I hope you have not covered the holes up with a magazine or newspapers on top. The unit is fine to be used in a stack with other equipment as long as the unit above it has some small feet to leave a gap between the 2 items.
    With respect, you are being over optimistic. See my posting in the other discussion thread:

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=2552385#post2552385

All electronic equipment has a finite operating life which will be roughly halved by every 10'C increase in temperature if it uses electrolytic capacitors. It's most important to keep the equipment cool if you want good reliability. It may be cleverly designed to tolerate high temperatures and to operate faultlessly for short periods but excessive heat WILL kill it in the long term.

(Maybe Amstrad isn't going to worry too much once the warranty has run out but you might like it to last a bit longer before you have to dip into your pocket).

I'm not suggesting for a moment that Alan is trying to con anyone - I respect the fact that he's taken the trouble to ask questions here - but I can say that, when it comes to long-term reliability, the temperature matters.

By the way, it's a common mistake to put slots in the top but not in the bottom of a cabinet (has the DRX-180 slots underneath?). It's a fact of physics that hot air rises. It can only do that if cool air can get in to replace it. So if you have only slots in the top, you are relying on the cool air somehow being dragged in through some slots while hot air comes out of the others. In practice this doesn't work very well. And there has to be a balance otherwise you'd end up with a vacuum inside.

Try the cigarette test to determine how the cool air is getting inside. Watch the smoke. It's interesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sir, we have been making stuff for over 35 years and STBs for 15 years. Our customers who are mainly broadcasters dont want any problems, and by that they want to sell stuff or put stuff into homes and not have to go back and forward changing things over. For this reason most broadcasters with half a brain insist on a very robust PSU and insist on certain capacitors that are able to operate at high temperature and last longer, we pay extra for these. The reason is both they and us have over the years learnt from bitter experience that an extra quid on the BOM up front pays dividends sometimes up to 12 years down the line .

I will take your comment of us wanting the warranty to run out as a joke for the moment

Sir Alan Sugar

With respect, you are being over optimistic. See my posting in the other discussion thread:

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=2552385#post2552385

All electronic equipment has a finite operating life which will be roughly halved by every 10'C increase in temperature if it uses electrolytic capacitors. It's most important to keep the equipment cool if you want good reliability. It may be cleverly designed to tolerate high temperatures and to operate faultlessly for short periods but excessive heat WILL kill it in the long term.

(Maybe Amstrad isn't going to worry too much once the warranty has run out but you might like it to last a bit longer before you have to dip into your pocket).

I'm not suggesting for a moment that Alan is trying to con anyone - I respect the fact that he's taken the trouble to ask questions here - but I can say that, when it comes to long-term reliability, the temperature matters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Thanks Alan. I'll get the box replaced if I can.

I have nothing on top of the box at all - 6 inches of clearance. For info. this is my third SKY+ box, first one (PACE) lasted 3 days and was red hot, HDD then packed in. Second one (PACE) lasted 6 months and then PSU problem I think (just wouldn't power up at all), third one now is Amstrad with the issues mentioned above.

Given the issues with my first box overheating I'm a little concerned, but I'll see if the next box is OK.
    alan sugar wrote:
    You should have 1.31A08

There is no way there should be a few second delay as you decribe such as services 4,5. I just did it 5 times on my box and each and every time it reacts very fast.

Perhaps you should try a re boot and if that does not work you need to get the box seen to or replaced.

Sir Alan Sugar

Sir Alan
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    dear sir alan and folk,

just to join ur group as my v1 gone and replaced by amstrad DRX180 . version 1.31A08
    just to know any of you upgrade HD to 250. i been follow reading on bluestraw thread.
    can this be done in amstrad?

cheers,

bigscreen
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is no recognised upgrade for the HDD by Amstrad and BSKYB and I suggest that you dont mess with this yourself.

Sir Alan
    dear sir alan and folk,

just to join ur group as my v1 gone and replaced by amstrad DRX180 . version 1.31A08
    just to know any of you upgrade HD to 250. i been follow reading on bluestraw thread.
    can this be done in amstrad?

cheers,

bigscreen
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    alan sugar wrote:
    There is no recognised upgrade for the HDD by Amstrad and BSKYB and I suggest that you dont mess with this yourself.

Sir Alan

dear sir,

just curious, i thought thereis evidence in other posts regarding v2 upgrade to a bigger HD although it might no be official.i wonder why there is not a lot mention on amstrad . do i miss something or is ther any reason not to upgrade a bigger HD in amstrad.

yours sincerely
  • Options
    james paynejames payne Posts: 4,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dear sir,

just curious, i thought thereis evidence in other posts regarding v2 upgrade to a bigger HD although it might no be official.i wonder why there is not a lot mention on amstrad . do i miss something or is ther any reason not to upgrade a bigger HD in amstrad.

yours sincerely

Good morning to you all.

Sky, Pace nor Amstrad currently recognise any other type of HD in the current crop of boxes, other than the standard fitted 40Gb.

Sir Alan one imagines, is only doing what any company Chairperson/Director/Manager woild do when such questions are being asked.

Imagine the problems/knock on effect there would be created by some people, if their boxes went complete belly-up from the result of Sir Alan encouraging users to tamper with their recognised HD.

This is why Sir Alan is wisely ' Suggesting ' that you do not mess with the fitted HD...................

..................However lets get real here. Sir Alan has probably upgraded a couple of his already himself. Well one does have to test these things ;)

Regards James
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Problems with my Pace STB only started when I upgraded the HD.

Having learnt my lesson, I bought a brand new STB from Argos and have had no problems so far.

Sky/Pace/Amstrad all say there is no recognised upgrade for Sky+ boxes presently. They say this because the R&D teams have not wasted time trying, therefore if Joe Public messes around with these devices and problems occur, it is up to Joe Public (including me) to put up with these problems and to take the consequences.

Too many people on this forum slag off Sky, Pace and Amstrad for these devices but it must be recognised that a good proportion of these people have upgraded the HD in their boxes. Please note: I said a good proportion.

Sky have gone a long way to ensure that Joe Public cannot gain access to the interior of these animals by placing security screws on the outer casing. That in itself would lead me to believe there is a good reason for leaving be. I didn't, I changed the drive to a 120gb Samsung, I got the 17 minute bug and a totally dead box after the latest SW update.

Who's problem is that?

Mine.

Have I learnt by my mistake? Certainly.

Will I try to upgrade this box? No way!

Curiosity killed the cat, or in this case, the Sky+ box!

IMHO

NB
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The reason is that the software and operating system in the box is designed to be used with 40gb drives and no larger. I am not a boff so I dont know why when you fit a larger drive it may not work. From what I have seen and heard the fitting of larger drives into boxes seems to look ok at first but I have heard that as time goes by some of them they go beely up.

So dont do it, as it will break your warranty

Sir Alan

QUOTE=bigscreen12]dear sir,

yours sincerely[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    mraymray Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Hi.
    I had my Amstrad Sky+ box installed last Saturday, so I've had it a week.
    So far I'm very happy with it, although I have noticed a few of the issues affecting other folks boxes, such as the picture freezing for around 7 seconds, has happened to me a few times too. Also the box has switched itself off twice and then it takes 2 or 3 minutes before you can power it up again. This would be very annoying if I was in the middle of a recording. Luckily, I haven't been when it's happened to me and so far I have no failed recordings either.

I like the look of the box and it's very quiet and easy to use. Much more convenient than a Dvd Recorder.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Hi,
    I have a question to ask regarding the speed of the amstrad Sky+ box.

I've recently acquired what i found out to be an amstrad box. I was pleased with it until i noticed that a friends sky+ box (a pace box) was a lot quicker.

This is very noticable when changing channels and more so during fast forward and rewind changes.

Is this a fundemental difference in the hardware or will future software updates improve things?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Speed of box, as far as I am concerned I cant notice any speed change to such an extent that you would actualy notice, or that it would be distrurbing or make the box hard to use. We of course have pace boxes and I have used one for quite a while and cant see what your issue is. Nothing leaps out to me that I would spot. In your case you have noticed this I assume in another persons home which is quite amazing that you are able to spot that . I can possibly see, if it is the case that if you had 2 units side by side as we do in our labs.

Trust you are on the latest software by now, maybe try a re boor power down see if that changes any thing. As I seriously cant see what you are saying

Sir Alan Sugar

pingumania wrote:
    Hi,
    I have a question to ask regarding the speed of the amstrad Sky+ box.

I've recently acquired what i found out to be an amstrad box. I was pleased with it until i noticed that a friends sky+ box (a pace box) was a lot quicker.

This is very noticable when changing channels and more so during fast forward and rewind changes.

Is this a fundemental difference in the hardware or will future software updates improve things?
  • Options
    james paynejames payne Posts: 4,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon Sir Alan

I myself have two Pace Sky+ boxes. However sure enough, unfortunately one day one will start to play up and be replaced. Whether this replacement will be another Pace or indeed and Amstrad no one knows.

Reading through the forums though, it appears, and you can tell from pictures, the Amstrad has been more thought out when it comes to ventilation than the Pace boxes. Is this something that your team did extensive research on, considering one of the main faults with the Pace HD was overheating. For something that seems so simple, I just wonder why Pace didn't see a way around this with their V2 model, as you did with the Amstrad box.

On another note. Were Amstrad approached to make the new Sky+160......or are the regular Sky+ boxes something that you rather consentrate on at the moment ?

Regards James
  • Options
    JonnyJonny Posts: 1,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan,

One thing i have noticed over the last few months is that your Sky+ is considerably slower in the 'Live Pause' stakes than the pace.

When i hit the pause button on my Pace V2 it pauses almost instantly. On all the Amstrads i have used it takes about 1-2 seconds after hitting pause for the picture to actually stop.
    Why is this?

Thanks

Jon
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Hi,
    I have noticed all these things after comparing my friends Pace V2 box with the Amstrad Sky+ I had installed yesterday.
    I also get a 'no satellite signal being recieved' message if i flick through the channels quickly, is that normal?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am getting confused by these meesages , unless I have got 3 golden DRX-180 's in my house. I honestly dont see this are you sure it is 1-2 seconds. I just tried it right in front of my wife just to make sure I am not going nuts and it stops straight away with no pause at all ,maybe 150 milliseconds

Sir Alan Sugar
    Jonny wrote:
    Alan,

One thing i have noticed over the last few months is that your Sky+ is considerably slower in the 'Live Pause' stakes than the pace.

When i hit the pause button on my Pace V2 it pauses almost instantly. On all the Amstrads i have used it takes about 1-2 seconds after hitting pause for the picture to actually stop.
    Why is this?

Thanks

Jon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think you will get no sat signal if you flick through a pace quickly, I have as I have one here at home in one of my rooms to make a total of 4 SKY+ in the house . We can either slow down the time the screen shows between channel select so that you dont see the odd no sat signal, in which case you may complain that it takes too longs for the screen to show a picture flicking through channels, or leave it as it is. I am at a loss a todays messages with people clutching at straws, can we have a reality check here guys. So what if you see the no sat signal for 50 milliseconds, so what if the pace displays a channel 50 millisenconds faster.

Are you all so pushed for time that you cant wait 50 milliseconds.

I am looking for real faults in the software so that we can get on and have ready any fixes for any forthcoming downloads. I have got to tell you now , we wont be putting our engineers on fixing these.

Sir Alan Sugar
    Angel-Us wrote:
    Hi,
    I have noticed all these things after comparing my friends Pace V2 box with the Amstrad Sky+ I had installed yesterday.
    I also get a 'no satellite signal being recieved' message if i flick through the channels quickly, is that normal?
  • Options
    phelingsphelings Posts: 3,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to be a killjoy,but are there posts elsewhere to prove this is the REAL Alan Sugar we are dealing with.Apologies to Alan if it is,but I would have thought a company chairman of your standing would have far more important things to do than personally answer technical queries from Sky+ users.As he has been a chairman for many years I think his grammar and spelling would also be better than shown on here.And as Sky themselves are very particular about the design of Sky+ boxes,I would doubt that AS would even be aware of the small differences between the Amstrad and Pace boxes