Options

Panasonic DMR-E85 problem

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
Forum Member
I've had my DMR-E85 for about two months now and have a really annoying problem.

When I transfer a recording to a DVD-RAM, I can edit, erase and format without a problem. If I then transfer the recording to the PC, using a recently purchased LG GSA4120BB, the original DVDRAM disc will play in the E85 but that's all it can do, can't format it, can't edit it, can't even record on it :mad: . When I try to erase the machine crashes and gives me various errors and it goes into 'self check'...

So far I have 3 DVDRAM discs that won't play in the E85...

From what I can work out the LG drive is doing something to the RAM disc, but what I don't know...

The RAM discs are Panasonic originals.

Help anyone...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bigtallguy wrote:
    I've had my DMR-E85 for about two months now and have a really annoying problem.

When I transfer a recording to a DVD-RAM, I can edit, erase and format without a problem. If I then transfer the recording to the PC, using a recently purchased LG GSA4120BB, the original DVDRAM disc will play in the E85 but that's all it can do, can't format it, can't edit it, can't even record on it :mad: . When I try to erase the machine crashes and gives me various errors and it goes into 'self check'...

So far I have 3 DVDRAM discs that won't play in the E85...

From what I can work out the LG drive is doing something to the RAM disc, but what I don't know...

The RAM discs are Panasonic originals.

Help anyone...

i take it you are not putting anything onto the discs from the computer,just purely sending the info to the pc?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Correct, I just want to copy the contents.

It seems that the the DVD writer is doing something to the file structure of the ram disc to prevent it working in the panny.... but what i don't know.

Ive used Nero InCD to format the discs to UDF2.0, but the panny still refuses them and chucks it's toys out of the pram...

Seems im not the only one with this problem see here...

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=104252

The mystery continues.... :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Have you tried formatting it with the LG "DVD Formatter" tool? Mine came with my GSA-4040 supermulti writer. It won't stop the problem happening but it should allow you to reuse the discs again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OARDVD wrote:
    Have you tried formatting it with the LG "DVD Formatter" tool? Mine came with my GSA-4040 supermulti writer. It won't stop the problem happening but it should allow you to reuse the discs again.

The only formting tool that came with the drive was Nero InCD, I downloaded LG's RAM driver software but it doen't work do to the drive being in an external firewire housing. the software can't locate the drive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You could try downloading the panasonic DVD RAM driver suite from this site as the LF-D311 software seems to work with my LG model. However: **WARNING** Do this at your own risk !!

http://panasonic.co.jp/mke/support/dvdram/lim/eoem/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OARDVD wrote:
    You could try downloading the panasonic DVD RAM driver suite from this site as the LF-D311 software seems to work with my LG model. However: **WARNING** Do this at your own risk !!

http://panasonic.co.jp/mke/support/dvdram/lim/eoem/

Didn't work, kept telling me it couldn't find the RAM drive... oh well a waste of £60... :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I've had something similar. Try a full erase from Nero (not InCD). Worked for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you go into Win Explorer and right-click the RAM drive do you get the option to format using UDF 2.0 ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've had something similar. Try a full erase from Nero (not InCD). Worked for me.

Discs still don't work

OARDVD wrote:
    If you go into Win Explorer and right-click the RAM drive do you get the option to format using UDF 2.0 ?

Yes it does, discs still don't work in the E85. :(

Don't know what to do, Panasonic say its LG's hardwares at fault, LG say it's Panasonics.... :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bigtallguy, I don’t know if you are also “SteveDangerous” who posted this thread, but if you’re not then it may be of interest:

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153280
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OARDVD wrote:
    Bigtallguy, I don’t know if you are also “SteveDangerous” who posted this thread, but if you’re not then it may be of interest:

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153280

Many thanks, so his problem was his player. Pity i can't send my player back as it's been modified to play region 1 discs...

Thats 4 people im aware of who have this problem, can't just be the E85 thats at fault.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why didn't you initially say that you had modified the Panny.
    The LG drive you have purchased is probably set on Region 2 whereas the Panny is Region 1 (and 2 ?).
    To me and my limited knowledge it looks like a region conflict .
  • Options
    rich_jtgrich_jtg Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bigtallguy...

sorry for jumping into the thread, but I have the same two drives, E85 and LG4120, and I can't get the LG to see the RAM discs that I've recorded on the E85.

Could I just ask what you using to get access to the files?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kwilliams wrote:
    Why didn't you initially say that you had modified the Panny.
    The LG drive you have purchased is probably set on Region 2 whereas the Panny is Region 1 (and 2 ?).
    To me and my limited knowledge it looks like a region conflict .

Region coding only apply to DVD-Video and not DVD-RAM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rich_jtg wrote:
    bigtallguy...

sorry for jumping into the thread, but I have the same two drives, E85 and LG4120, and I can't get the LG to see the RAM discs that I've recorded on the E85.

Could I just ask what you using to get access to the files?

Ive got WindowsXPSP2, which supports RAM discs, no packet writing software intalled at the moment. Nero InCD supports RAM discs.

I'm using a LG DVD-ROM drive to read the RAM discs but its a bit of a pain as it's attached to a different PC so i have to copy the .VRO file to a removable HD then transfer it to my Lappie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmmm... strange. I have a very similar setup to you (apart from my drive is installed internally), yet I just can't get the PC to see the RAM discs.

If I put one of the Panasonic's RAM discs into the LG drive, most programs I'm using just freeze or crash... even with the latest drivers and software versions.

Blinkin' computers - don't you just love them! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I have the same problem with E85/LG4120.
    The problem that the E85 detects thet the DVD-RAM is 'write protected' when it was in the LG writer.
    I contacted with Panasonic Hungary. They use the Panasonic product (software) MovieAlbum on there computers. This software detected that my DVD-RAMs are 'write protected' (after the LG drive). They formatted the DVD-RAMs with this software, and after that they are usable in the E85 again. (Now I use DVD-ROM to read them!!!)
    Panasonic Hungary said that they tried the MovieAlbum-LG4120 combination and it was working well, without problem - but I did not see that. But the MovieAlbum may be ordered in service. I ordered it (~30EUR), and I will see...
    Panasonic is sure, that it is a software problem. I am not...
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno if this will help but i have an LG GDR8163B drive in the PC along with an E-85 thats multi region and everything works ok.No probs with the disks after using them in the LG drive.The LG drive was only £18.99 del so this might solve your probs cheaply :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The 8163 is a DVD-ROM, but 4120 is a DVD writer. Of course your DVD-ROM does not change the DVD-RAM...
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sheesh never noticed it was a dvd writer still the 8163 would solve the problem as all he wants to do is read the ram disk and copy the contents to the PC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, with a DVD-ROM you can copy movies to PC.
    But the users, who has only DVD writer, it is not a good solution. They want to read the content of DVD-RAM with the writer. And if they take the DVD-RAM into the LG writer, they n e v e r can use this DVD-RAM in E85 in write mode. If they format it with PC, it is write protected in E85, therefore it is impossible to format in E85. This situation is unacceptable for me (or us), and therefore we are looking any solution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Time for a bit of an update, it turns out the problem is related to Panasonic 3x discs that have CPRM copy protection.

The LG drive is some how flagging the disc as protected, so when you insert the disc in the E85 it chucks it's toys out of the pram. To 'solve' this don't use the Panasonic 3x discs with CPRM use 2x discs instead as these seem to be ok(no CPRM). not used them myself but from what I have read in various forums they work fine.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153280&page=1&pp=15
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have also found that if you put a RAM disc recorded on the E85 into an LG PC Drive, there is something added to the disc. When you put it back in the E85, and try and edit or erase the E85 throws a wobbly and gets stuck in a rebooting loop.

I'm just going to buy an LG DVD-ROM drive for my PC to stop this happening.