Options

PC to TV

Are there any cables out there to buy to connect my PC to my TV to watch movies I have downloaded. Plus if anybody has done this how good is picture quality on the Tv screen. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is your computer graphics card? Does it have a TV-Out capability?
  • Options
    Jamesollier18Jamesollier18 Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not to sure, not much knowledge on graphics cards
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the critical piece of info you need to know whether you can do this just by buying a cable or if you need to buy a new graphics card. Cards without TV Out won't output to a TV as far as I know. I guess you're running Windows of some description? Look in Control Panel -> Display -> Settings tab -> Advanced and see what it tells you on the Adapter tab there. If you have an ATI card with the ATI drivers then you'll also have a "Displays" tab in this notebook and, if it has TV Out capabilities then it will have a TV showing on that as one of the options. I don't know about other makes of card - they'll probably be different but similar!

If you do have a card that's capable of doing this then it will have either an SVHS socket or a CVBS output or both. An SVHS socket is a small round DIN plug that looks a little like the sort of socket you would plug a mouse or keyboard into (non-USB!). A CVBS output will be a phono socket, probably coloured yellow. Both of these are video only - no sound, you then have to cable up the outputs from your soundcard to get the sound across.