FTV card from Sky: October.

ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well, I remember reading here that the FTV cards Sky was going to offer was not going to be available to October.

It's now October, but I can't find any news on Sky.com. Anyone else heard if this is up and running yet?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    ovbg wrote:
    Well, I remember reading here that the FTV cards Sky was going to offer was not going to be available to October.

It's now October, but I can't find any news on Sky.com. Anyone else heard if this is up and running yet?

We are still a few weeks ago. October really means mid October. Latest date I have heard is for something to start on the 18th.
  • ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks mrtonks!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    mrtonks wrote:
    We are still a few weeks ago. October really means mid October. Latest date I have heard is for something to start on the 18th.

Will be later, but not by much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I've phoned several times (and again this morning in response to the national TV adverts), but still no details. I have also sent another email to Sharon Mitchell at Sky for further details.

Here is the email she sent me after my initial enquiry into the Sky Freesat proposition:

Dear **** (Phineus)

Thank you for your email regarding our new Free-to-View satellite service costs.

I can advise that there will be a one-off payment of 150.00 (GBP) for the digi box, remote control, dish, cabling, standard installation and a Free-to-View card. The viewing card will enable you to access the encrypted signals of ITV1, Channel 4 and 5.

This service will also give you access to almost 200 television and radio channels, including 27 general entertainment, 9 news and 4 children's channels will be available. (See attached table for full listings).

These channels are:

LISTING HERE

However if you already have a digital satellite system installed a Free-to-View card will be supplied for a one - off payment of 20.00 (GBP).

As stated on the Free-to-View number below the equipment and viewing card are not available until later this year. When it does become available you should be able to find information on www.sky.com or the Free-to-View number, 08706 061111.

Should you require further assistance, please contact me at the email address above.

Kind regards

Sharon Mitchell
    Customer Administration
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    If you read Sky's email properly, you'll notice a slight anomaly - the price. The freesat proposition is quoted at £150, but if you were get the 'equipment only' deal from Sky at £120, then buy the FTV card as suggested (£20) then the total would be £140.

I'm assuming of course that the equipment is exactly the same. But no details on this either.
  • Shelley FabaresShelley Fabares Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As we all love Sky what's £10 between friends ? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    shelley, lol! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know which transponder Sky will be using to transmit this 200 plus ftv package? I live in Cyprus and since BBC changed to a less powerful transponder you need a dish the size of a house to get a signal

wilftelf
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilftelf wrote:
    Does anyone know which transponder Sky will be using...
    Have a look HERE for FTA channels or HERE for encrypted channels. Every transponder where the beam is 2D will have the limited coverage.
  • maccymaccy Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    wilftelf wrote:
    Does anyone know which transponder Sky will be using to transmit this 200 plus ftv package? I live in Cyprus and since BBC changed to a less powerful transponder you need a dish the size of a house to get a signal

wilftelf

As far as we know nothing is to move or change with regard to channels and transponders. The Sky Free To View lineup will include all FTA channels and the FTV channels ITV, C4 and FIVE.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Does anyone have an idea when it's going to be on the market?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    phineus wrote:
    If you read Sky's email properly, you'll notice a slight anomaly - the price. The freesat proposition is quoted at £150, but if you were get the 'equipment only' deal from Sky at £120, then buy the FTV card as suggested (£20) then the total would be £140.

I'm assuming of course that the equipment is exactly the same. But no details on this either.

Which means that there is a charge of £10 for installing the dish, a real bargain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    Before you all shell out for a ftv card from sky who seem to think it is ok to charge people to watch free commercial television try this,

If you have a yellow house card but cant recieve itv, CH4, or Five sky will tell you that you need to subscribe. I had this problem for about a week!

YOU DON'T!

Go into the services menu on you box and enter the hidden sky engineers menu like this-

1) Press Services on your Sky remote.
    2) Press 4 - System Setup
    3) Press 0
    4) Press 1
    5) Press Select

Then select new install. It will take about 10 mins to update software and download new channel lists. When I did this after re booting the box the extra channels were all working.

This should work on any yellow house card even ones bought on ebay. My card is not even paired with my box as I got it seperate. (although you still cant get premium channels if your box isn't paired)

I hope this helps someone!
    Forum Member
    Whats the telephone number on your viewing card?
    Forum Member
    Not sure

Will check tonight and post back!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    lstar337 wrote:
    Go into the services menu on you box and enter the hidden sky engineers menu like this-

1) Press Services on your Sky remote.
    2) Press 4 - System Setup
    3) Press 0
    4) Press 1
    5) Press Select

Then select new install.....

lstar337 I tried this a while back and had no luck. My card was never activated as the install did not go ahead as the engineer decided he could not get line of site in all the EASY dish siteing positions.

I then purchased a used box and dish and stuck them up myself and now have a working system. I've gone through the manual install and everything works except at the end it detects I'm not connected to the telephone line and tells me/the engineer to call up.

For this to work is it dependant on the digibox model or do I need to be connected for this to work? I assumed I would not want to be as info would then be passed back to SKY

Thanks

Brent
    Forum Member
    "Whats the telephone number on your viewing card?"

Telephone number is 08702 404040
    Forum Member
    Not sure what you should do.

I moved into a new house with a dish on it. someone gave me a box and card and at first couldn't get the ftv channels after I did this it all worked.

I dont think i had it connected to the phone line when i did it but i do now.(dont care if sky know if they confronted me i would probobly subscribe anyway!)

I think the problem is that the card was never activated to start with.

try it with the phone line in (if you dont mind sky knowing what your doing) you can always take it out afterwards.

or try buying a card from ebay (although they usually overcharge) then try it. Touble is theres no garantee it will work.

im hoping for more people to try it and see if it works!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I’m not really bothered about what Sky discovers should I connect the line but they hold my Credit Card details from the original application and don’t want to find they’ve billed me.

Activating the card this way has come up on this forum before and also on uk.tech.tv.sky so there may be something in it but I asked a local installer and he said he could not see how this could work.
    Forum Member
    Istar, as has been referred to in another thread, you didn't need to force the callback, your card would have received the FTV channels if you'd have left the card in the box for 24 hours or so.

The card just needed to 'wake itself up'

But hey I would have done the same for immediate viewing :)
  • kerrykerry Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    In view of the fact that Sky will be using the Astra 28 east position for freesat, will all the channels be available to RoI viewers, and is a viewing card necessary to view them?