V1 boxes with >120GB HDDs - post your results here please!

LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
Forum Member
✭✭
There seems to be some debate as to whether all V1s behave the same given the new software update. This seems to be the opinion of some. However a number of users have reported that their early V1s do not work reliably with disks bigger than 120GB, even with the 1.31A8 software.

It would be useful for V1 users wishing to upgrade to find out what the version numbers are that seem to work with the bigger disks reliably.

Therefore if you have upgraded your V1 with a disk bigger than the previous 137GB limit, please post the following information here:

Model number: (i.e. Ph3_14)
Version number: (i.e. 9F2005)

Your OS version should be 1.31A8 but you can confirm this also if you wish.

Each page I shall try to post a running total of the results.

--Loob.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    Pace V1 with 250Gb
    Model: Ph3_14
    Version: 9F2023
    EPG: sky+1.28.d

Hard drive: 250GB Maxtor Maxline II model 5A250J0 for over 2 months. Very happy, although I'll probably never use all that space!
    17 minute bug: NO (although I did have it with the previous software and a Maxtor 120GB 6Y120L0)
    Drive does not power down: YES (but not a big issue for me)

Also tried the 300GB 5A300J0 - Doesn't work: Input 2 not locked and box will not perform housekeeping. Doesn't appear to work in V2's either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Hi all,

Pace V1 with 250Gb
    Version: 9F2024

Hard drive: 250GB Maxtor Maxline II model 5A250J0 for over 2 months. .

17 minute bug: NO

Filled box up, deleted stuff, did planner rebuild - all ok. Powered down - still ok.

Very happy.

Cheers

Mel
  • LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the contributions so far.....both "late" V1s, no problems. Anyone with an earlier V1 with no problems? Or earlier V1 with problems for that matter! Let's get it documented!

--Loob.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come on everyone, there must be more than two of you!

--Loob.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing here, but many of us early V1 box owners (9F2003) are still struggling with 120GB. If my box fills and/or I have power cycles I start to get problems with variants of the 17 min bug. So, again I'm guessing, anything above 120GB is going to be just as bad and therefore I won't risk it.

If I'm wrong and, by some miracle, above 120GB cures the problems on early V1 boxes it WOULD be very interesting and therefore if anybody has done it, it would be nice to hear from them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    My V1 box is version 9F2006. My 40GB drive has become flaky (picture breaks up on playback) and needs replacing - obviously I would like to put in a larger disk (120/160GB) if possible.

I must admit, I'm slightly confused about why the 17 minute bug should still be affecting early units (pre 9F2023?). I ran a 120GB drive with absolutely no problems from when I first got the unit until the 17 minute bug kicked in, so I'm not sure why the recent software fix wouldn’t work?

Unfortunately, my 120GB drive is now installed in a PC or I'd give it a try myself.

Steve.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I'm wrong and, by some miracle, above 120GB cures the problems on early V1 boxes it WOULD be very interesting and therefore if anybody has done it, it would be nice to hear from them.

The trend that gave rise to this thread is that there were reports that even early V1s were now much better with up to 120GB disks - but not with disks bigger than 120GB - even though the full disk size (up to 250GB) is now recognised.

Anyone else got a bigger than 120GB disk in an early V1?

--Loob.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Loobster wrote:
    The trend that gave rise to this thread is that there were reports that even early V1s were now much better with up to 120GB disks - but not with disks bigger than 120GB - even though the full disk size (up to 250GB) is now recognised.
    --Loob.

Ah, that makes more sense. When I bought my original 120GB drive (July 2002), 160's were available but I read that they didn't work in the Sky+ box due to an addressing limit.

Sorry to be a pain but can you quantify "much better"?
  • GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so far so good.... original drive died over last weekend, so this is a forced upgrade just installed this evening. so far no probs, but still touching all available wooden items. Followed the sticky post & automan's instructions to the letter when installing.

drive is a 250GB Maxtor DiamondMax9 7200rpm 6Y250P0 for £102.52 from Micro Direct

model: pace
    model number: Ph3_14
    version number: 9F2006
    Operating System Version: 1.31A8
    EPG software version: sky+ 1.28d

will report back to this thread if I have problems, you can be sure!

Greebo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Pace V1 with 120Gb
    Version: 9F2005

HD was a Samsung 120gb FBD cannot remeber the model number. the system worked fine for a good month or so until I had to do a forced reboot and then the 17min bug appeared, I have now put back the orignal 40gb disk, looking to get a sky 160 once the price comes down, I was going to get a v2 and upgrade but what is to say SKY dont bring the bug back on v2? at least with the sky 160 if I get anything along the lines of the 17min bug I can shout at them and get them to do somthing abaout it.

Adam D
  • DonkeyDonkey Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Model: PACE Ph3_14
    Version: 9f2006
    EPG: Sky+ 1.28.d

Upgraded with a 120Gb Samsung SP1213N. Only been in for 5 days. No sign of the 17 min bug, drive spins faster therefore ever slightly noisier than the original (higher pitched hum).

The only thing I am not entirely happy with at the moment is the drive seems to make a fair bit of clicking noise when recording or recording and playing back at the same time and can be heard unless the TV is at a reasonable volume. Almost completely quiet on playback, however.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    The bad news is you will probably get the bug. The intention of the thread was for drives over 120G but it always helps to have more data.

You may find that the clicking is a result of write verify being on, this should sort itself out after a few power ups but you could always try using the drive makers utilities to turn it off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    All,
    This morning I upgraded my early version Sky+ to 250gb, and all appears well (so far). As Marvin ponts out, I'll watch for the 17 min creature, but fingers are crossed!

System details are;

Installed Maxtor 5A250J0 (did not use maxtor utilities as this was an out of the box, fresh, drive).

V1 Pace box
    PH3-14
    9F2005
    1.31A8 software

Did Housekeeping/reset, and all appears well...

Special thanks to PCBBC!!!!

Mike
  • bluestrawbluestraw Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike,

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but I am 100% sure that you WILL see the '17 min bug' at some point during a power cycle / reboot. Early V1 boxes (9F2006 and earlier) are all known to have the issue..... Good luck in proving me wrong though!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks mike, please return back to the thread after a week or two and let us know if the upgrade is still problem-free!

--Loob.
    Forum Member
    Mike,

So far noone with a V1 using a 250G drive has reported the 17min bug. I'd be a little more optimistic.

Bluestraw,

Where are you getting that information? If its 120G drives you are thinking of virtually all V1's early or late seem to get it eventually.
  • DonkeyDonkey Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marvin wrote:
    Mike,

So far noone with a V1 using a 250G drive has reported the 17min bug. I'd be a little more optimistic.

Bluestraw,

Where are you getting that information? If its 120G drives you are thinking of virtually all V1's early or late seem to get it eventually.
    But why should it affect V1's with 120gb drives, and not 250gb drives?:confused:
  • bluestrawbluestraw Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike,

Fair point. I was talking 120Gb drives. I guess no-one has convinced me that 250Gb drives should be 'safe', whereas 80 and 120 have been shown to exhibit the 17 min bug. Especially since 80, 120 and 250 are all 'bug free' on a V2, this (to me) points to a very likely problem with 250Gb in V1's.

But, as I said, please do prove me wrong!!
    Forum Member
    bluestraw,

The only thing I'm convinced of is that there should be no differences relating to the drives between early or late V1's

Theres are two possiblities for 250G's being bug free, Ive done most of my reasons to death, but the short version.... Assumed drive geometry can produce 'magic' drive geometries that behave the same. It depends a lot on how its coded, but if it was coded well, we wouldnt have this problem at all. Secondly for >137G access the box low level firmware (ATA command set) had to be added to and its possible they had to bypass the assumed geometry system entirely. What is more than possible is that for compatability reasons they are using the old code for <137G drives so as not to introduce any possible new bugs to existing 40G users (the vast majority), and hense has the bug, and using the new code for >137G drives which could bypass the buggy code.

Speculation of course but it simply isnt possible to prove that the bug will never happen to a particular box/drive combination. Just that after enough people have reported that we think its very unlikley.
  • JonlJonl Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    I have just got myself one of these 250gb Western digital drives from lidl £99. (Only hope it works) as I was going to (And depending on the feedback on here!) purchase a Pace version 2 in the new year and or when they maybe (Here's hoping) have some offers on the V2's 40gb especially as the 160 model will be selling by then I assume.!

Here is where I would like some help please. :confused:

I would like to try this 250gb in my early pace V1 9f2005 (Now has 120gb with no problems) and try to see it will work, Been watching out on here with interest, as also (Touch wood) I have had no sign of the 17 min bug :eek: for some time now and with the box well over half to 3/4 full more often than not and 4-6 planner rebuilds and a power down (Trip set off by blown fuse on washing machine) I would have almost certainly had 17 bug by now, before the 1.31A8 update especially "The Bill" ITV that was a dead cert. for 17min bug for me.

Anyway hears where I would like some help before or if I undertake this procedure.

If I did get problems (i.e. 17 min bug, etc.) on the V1 with this hard drive, etc. I could remove the 250g disc and re put the 120gb back? without many problems?

Only now the 250gb would now have been formatted by sky+ etc and used in the V1, So would I be able to put that drive straight into the new pace V2 without doing any formats or low level stuff from a pc? as I only have a laptop. Plus Pc's have a habit getting the better of me. :eek:

Bottom line is should I leave well alone with the V1 with its 120gb running fine at present and wait until I aquire a V2 before I open the 250gb as it's brand new. Also lidl say no refunds if wrong. :cry:

Hope this makes some sense as its given me a bad night? As also I have read so much on these tobic's from here that I begin to get information meltdown. :confused::confused:

Thanks again. :)
    Forum Member
    I wish you luck with your WD drive, I stuck with maxtor out of wanting to change as little as possible but the space. I'm surprised you have no problems with the 17min bug, what make/model 120 is it?

If the 250G is a no go you can just put back the 120G and the box wont care. If you then get a V2 box and put it in you will have to do a full system reset to reformat the drive, the V1 is a big endian system, the v2 is a little endian so things crash. There is no way to avoid losing everything on the 250G drive recorded on the V1 if thats what you are thinking.

Good luck!

Edit,
    If you get as far as the V2 system (not a good thought but a warning anyway) remind yourself of the full system reset from boot method just in case. Left and right together until it flashes then select etc.
  • JonlJonl Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    From Marvin I wish you luck with your WD drive, I stuck with maxtor out of wanting to change as little as possible but the space. I'm surprised you have no problems with the 17min bug, what make/model 120 is it?

Hi Marvin and thanks for the reply it is a Maxtore Diamond Max plus 9 got it April 03 then December 03 was the dreaded! 17min bug :cry:
    One other point I should say I was or did have the 17 bug occasionally after the 1.31A8 update but I noticed I had programes stored at the beginning of the planner and when I realised they were flawed ie 17min or stuck in still frame(when I played them back) so I deleted them and so far all working well since.

Edit,
    If you get as far as the V2 system (not a good thought but a warning anyway) remind yourself of the full system reset from boot method just in case. Left and right together until it flashes then select etc.
    Today 05:13

Not quite sure I know what you mean on the Left right together bit though. :confused:
    Haven't tried it incase I lose my recordings :eek:
    Forum Member
    Absolutly, dont try it until you absolutly have to wipe the drive.

My point is if the box is formatted with another box its possible the V2, should you need to upgrade might not boot, in which case the hidden menu isnt much help. You can wipe the drive from bootup that way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    System details are:

Manufacturer: Pace
    Model Number: Ph3_14
    Version Number: 9F2006

Operating System Version: 1.31A8
    EPG Software Version: sky+ 1.28.d

If there is any way to get to play any of the programmes that I've recorded without having to wipe the entire box, I would be grateful to know!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Version: 9F2005
    OS Ver: 1.31A8
    EPG Ver: sky+ 1.128.d

I installed the Maxtor 5A250J0, after running the 3 maxtor utilities on it. It's definitely louder than the old 40Gb drive.

So far there's been no sign of the 17 minute bug.