Options

New Sony VTX-D800U Software 1.12

Comments

• Options
    CorinCorin Posts: 7,224
    Forum Member
    Loki101 wrote:
    In the EPG it gives you access to the +24 hours and -24 hours options.

I have been trying to explain this to somebody over the telephone and it does not seem to be working.

From what I understood these were the keys to use :

1) Press the EPG button (above the RED button) to access the EPG

2) a. Press the LEFT-arrow button to go back sequentially in the EPG; or
    b. Press the RIGHT-arrow button to go forward sequentially in the EPG

3) Press the JUMP button (below the 9 button) to go into +/- 24h mode

The display does now change with an indication of 24h at the bottom right of the screen.

I would now expect the LEFT-arrow and RIGHT-arrow buttons to jump -24h or +24h from the current EPG position, but this is not happening and the position is only changing by the usual amount.

Having now consulted the manual (always use the manual as a last result and do not bother to read it first, eh) I learn that after pressing the JUMP button, one must use the BLUE button to go 24h in advance and the YELLOW button to go 24h back, when this is possible in the EPG.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    The strip along the bottom indicates with red, green, yellow and blue labels what the coloured buttons will do any any moment. When you press the jump button (a feature you could only know from the manual), the yellow and blue labels change to show that the yellow and blue buttons are now -24H and +24H.
  • Options
    CorinCorin Posts: 7,224
    Forum Member
    KMO wrote:
    the yellow and blue labels change to show that the yellow and blue buttons are now -24H and +24H.
    Thanks for mentioning that information. As I do not have access to the actual equipment, I had not seen the change on the screen.
  • Options
    vuittionvuittion Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sdc395 wrote:
    Yawn. Let's stop the 'my box is better than yours' nonsense, please.

you really should direct your slur at the digitalspy Sony spokesman aka Telly_Man ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vuittion wrote:
    you really should direct your slur at the digitalspy Sony spokesman aka Telly_Man ;)
    What slur? I simply have no time for fanboyism. No manufacturer is incapable of making a poor product, including Sony. If you're happy with your Goodmans, I'm glad. I'm happy with my Sony. So what's the problem?

The evangelists need to get a life. The rest of us are just giving our points-of-view as consumers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vuittion, I aren't arguing, I, along with most Sony owners are double-chuffed with our Purchase, yep, oh, better go read the Goodmans Upgrade Campaign hadn't I?!

Dan
  • Options
    jswift909jswift909 Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reported the AR problems to Sony on March 19th 2004 - they said it could be the broadcaster, but I could contact a reseller to get the unit looked at.

I contacted Channel 4 - AR problems were most noticable there. Sent a tape off to their engineers and they confirmed the problem I was stating, but said all their recording equipment had worked fine. So Sony said it wasn't their problem, and Channel 4 engineers confirmed that the signal went out ok.

Now, the 1.12 firmware has fixed these issues - which Sony denied was a problem. Only just the other day - literally a day or two before I discovered there was to be a new firmware - I wrote to them. After a long pause they wrote "As stated in my previous responses, we are unable to suggest what the problem may be, and can only reiterate that you contact the dedicated helpline for the VTXD800 that I have outlined in my previous e-mail: 08702 413 624." That was on Tuesday 26th October - one day after Sony began transmitting the new firmware.

Honestly, they don't know what's going on - in the meanwhile, for about a year, I had stretched viewing, some of which were recordings which ended up useless to me. The problem had also recently become very apparent on ITV and ITV2. As I reported:

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=160198

and commented on here:

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=158866
    and
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=125010

and started a thread here:

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=117533 back on 19th March 2004.

They obviously don't read the forums, can't be bothered to investigate problems properly, and have hopeless engineers if it took them 8 months to own up to and fix their problems. It's a great box... now, but Sony suck big time. Probably shouldn't have just bought a Sony RDR-GX300 !!

Jonathan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My box seems to be quite a bit slower since the upgrade. I had 1.09.01 before. Now all the digital text, and the EPG are quite a lot more sluggish. Movement around the EPG used to be near instantaneous - now it can't keep up with the remote if I move around too fast. Has anyone else noticed this?

Also, channel changing is less slick - the grey banner at the top flickers on and off messily as you flick through the channels.

I've also seen problems tuning in to the BBC timeshared channels (BBC 4 / CBBC) - sometimes it only gives the audio, while displaying the grey swirly screen. Other times it displays the red MHEG screen on top (although 1.09 used to do that too). This is a nightmare for timed recordings - I ended up with an hour recording of a red MHEG screen on top of Tanner 88 on Tuesday night.

On the other hand, it does seem to have fixed all the aspect ratio switching problems and audio glitches, and the EPG does work a whole week ahead now.
  • Options
    BoinngBoinng Posts: 5,752
    Forum Member
    I have to say I’m very slightly disappointed with this box’s performance, having gotten it new on Monday and immediately upgraded to 1.12 (from the 1.11 supplied). In the few days since, I’ve seen the timeshare problems described above a couple of times, and noticed that the text – while quick – is not as “instantaneous” as most make out. The epg is great, but in all honesty that’s pretty much the only real improvement I’ve noticed over my Philips box - which was at least able to switch channel reliably. I miss the Philips far more advanced methods for sorting and renumbering channels, too.

A very good box, but not perfect yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not noticed any slow down on my box and also, i've not seen the MHEG problem since the upgrade, i had it one 1.11, usually on CBBC channel.

Dan
  • Options
    TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed a slow down on the now/next info when updating from 1.09 to 1.11, and when the 7 day epg went live. The latest version (1.12) seems to be about the same speed as 1.11 to me.
  • Options
    PR.PR. Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree the cursor movement is a little slower than my TUCT20 but the page changes and the display of the red button features appear much quicker.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I haven't had any problems with the new software and my box appears to run at the same speed. But i never had some of the issues other people seem to get with previous versions of the software (widescreen issues etc). Top box made better in my opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too have no new issues with the box. The flickering banner mentioned by KMO is not evident and the EPG, etc. seem to operate at the same speed as before. In fact, the small delay during EPG page transitions appears to have been reduced.

I agree with Boinng that some more powerful channel management features wouldn't go amiss but that would be new functionality. Their absence doesn't constitute a bug. I also agree that text is not, and never has been, "instantaneous." Certain screens introduce particularly noticable sluggishness.

Tadpole, I suggest the now/next slow down you noticed is due to the sheer amount of data the box is now sifting compared to the pre-7-day, er, days.
  • Options
    BoinngBoinng Posts: 5,752
    Forum Member
    I don't mean to seem harsh on the box, overall it's excellent, but I am very surprised that a mature, high-end product like this still has problems with basic things like BBC4/CBBC timesharing (that's just happened to me again - an off-air mheg over BBC4 - for the third time in about as many days). It pains me severely to say it, but I'd expect better from a Goodmans, let alone a Sony. This is extremely basic stuff, and it just isn't working right..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boinng wrote:
    I don't mean to seem harsh on the box, overall it's excellent, but I am very surprised that a mature, high-end product like this still has problems with basic things like BBC4/CBBC timesharing (that's just happened to me again - an off-air mheg over BBC4 - for the third time in about as many days). It pains me severely to say it, but I'd expect better from a Goodmans, let alone a Sony. This is extremely basic stuff, and it just isn't working right..
    yeah, the MHEG thing came in v1.11.01u, i fancy we should actually email Sony regarding it?

Dan
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Telly_Man wrote:
    yeah, the MHEG thing came in v1.11.01u, i fancy we should actually email Sony regarding it?
    Definitely. It's possible that Sony aren't aware of this problem, and so if they are not informed, it will not get sorted! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right!

How does one contact 'em?

Dan :)

www.npe.sony.co.uk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    removed, link didn't work....

Looking for contact form now,

Dan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Updated software on Monday night and found channel changing to be some what sluggish. Also could not receive Channel 5.
    On Tuesday night after leaving the box switched off at the mains, it was as good as before - no problemo.

Today ITV3 started a proper promo but I can't receive any sound.
    All the other channels are ok, and I can receive the sound through our Nokia 221t.
    Any Ideas??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another update, i've filled in the form and said when the bug was brought in and explained it etc, i've also suggested they add a reminder function to the EPG, along side the timer and wakeup settings.

Dan :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An update on my no sound for ITV3 (CH34).
    Have tried Auto Tune - still no sound.
    Tried manual tuning, located and selected ITV3 from list and amazingly there is sound.
    When trying to store/save this channel the sound goes.
    Is any one else having this trouble?
    Why only this channel I wonder. Shame it wasn't one of the shopping channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I left my box unplugged overnight, and this morning it was back up to pretty much the same speed it was with the 1.09 software. Something about the upgrade process must have upset it.

I can't provoke the grey screen on CBBC now either.

I've just got wait until Grandstand tomorrow to check whether they've fixed AFD 7 handling - the stupid thing used to display it in 16:9 letterbox on a 4:3 TV; it should switch to 4:3 full-frame automatically.
  • Options
    Stone FreeStone Free Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schizoid Mike,

I noticed the same thing,
    An update on my no sound for ITV3 (CH34).
    Have tried Auto Tune - still no sound.
    Tried manual tuning, located and selected ITV3 from list and amazingly there is sound.
    When trying to store/save this channel the sound goes.
    Is any one else having this trouble?
    Why only this channel I wonder. Shame it wasn't one of the shopping channels.

I have started a new thread in http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=163226, I hope it goes away by launch!