Options

FAQ Correction

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,888
Forum Member
✭✭
I got my new 160gb Maxtor drive yesterday, and I prepared it last night.
I followed the instructions in the FAQ thread, but when I came to run WVSET like this:
WVSET /OFF
It just gave a list of usage options, instead of a confimation that Write Verfity has been disabled.
The correct usage is:
WVSET OFF
Which will search each IDE channel for Maxtor drives, and disable write verify.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incase anyone wants it, I've created a bootable CD with all the Maxtor utils on - PowerMax, WVSET, AMSET and AAMSET.
    You can download it here - just unzip, and burn the image file with Nero (go into Nero Burning ROM, and select File > Burn Image, and select the file).
    Then boot off the disc. It'll go into PowerMax automatically, just press Esc to access the other tools.

Hope this helps someone :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Pingu, I owe you a drink. I bought a 6Y160P0 from one source and AMSET worked ok on that; however, another 6Y160P0 (couple of months older? Jul vs Sep 04) refused: it kept saying Acoustic Management was not supported/enabled. Even the Maxtor help line couldn't work out why it didn't work.
    However, I've just used AAMSET off of your bootable cd and it enabled Acoustic Management and let me set the disk to quiet.
    Do you know what the difference between the programs is and why this occurred?
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Pingu

Thanks for this - have just created the CD.

Can you tell me exactly which settings to select in the Utilities for optimum performance in the Pace v2 Digibox - i.e. as quiet as poss but still keeping cool !

Help much appreciated

Dave.
  • Options
    MethanoidMethanoid Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice job Pingu!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Nice job - this needs to be added to the sticky! :D
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    I cant alter the FAQ, please supply the details to a moderator and ask them to alter it :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I propose that we award this chap demi-god status. (And this info should most certainly be in the FAQ.) :D

Cheers,

Owen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    DanVitale wrote:
    I cant alter the FAQ, please supply the details to a moderator and ask them to alter it :)
    Dan - You did such a great job writing this FAQ in the first place, but it hasn't been updated (much?) in the meantime. That's a big shame.

I agree you may not be able to update the thread directly, however as "owner" of the FAQ I would politely suggest that it is your job to maintain it and supply an updated and corrected post to the mods. Anything else (i.e. individuals requesting individual changes) is only likely to result in chaos.

Some suggestions:
    3. Box list - to include Sky+ 160 which now been released.
    5. Hard drive size - V1 boxes support 250Gb drives as well, al least my late V1 box does.
    6. 17 minute bug - It's DUAL recording not DUEL
    7. Perparing - V2 Amstrads have standard screws (no security bit required)
    Link to Pingu's boot CD ;)
    Nickleics instructions were great, but the Maxtor links are out of date now. Suggest we use Pingu's CD instead?
    9. Link to www.satcure.co.uk website for replacement IDE cables

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can also pinch the download links from this thread:

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=211239

I have the AMSET and AAMSET utils on my webspace, and not planning on deleting them anytime soon.

--Loob.
  • Options
    LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The download links in the thread linked to above don't work anymore as I have changed ISP.

However Pingu's CD download still works, and I have made an ISO CD image available here for anyone who wants the CD but doesn't use Nero. ISOs are pretty much burnable with anything.

All utilities are used at your own risk, as always.