Options

Have you ever had a bizarre celebrity encounter?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
Forum Member
Have you ever had an unexpected encounter with a celebrity? Anything from them paying your cab fare to saving your life? Or know of anyone who might have? The stranger the better...

Comments

• Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I once ending up sitting on Ken Livingstone's lap during a crowded tube tain/sudden stopping incident :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend was chatting up Steve Lamac's bodyguard after he'd (thats Steve not the bodyguard) finished DJing at a student night in Sheffield. I ended up having to talk to Steve about A-Level geography after I'd run out of cool things to say about music... :o
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Not a huge celebrity, but I actually walked into Tony Britten (Fern's dad) in the west end in the late 70s. Neither of us were looking where we were going.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not an encounter as such but, was at a Robbie Williams concert a good few years ago. We got into second row of the pit. Robbie was doing his thing, running from one side of the stage to the other posing away. Went to take a photo but my camera wouldn't wind on. Felt like he waited til I wound on the camera, took the photo and then took off again.
    Got the photos developed the next day and there is an absolutely goreous one of Robbo looking straight at me!! Very, very cool encounter, but not an encounter as such!!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Met Len Ganley (top referree at the time) in a snooker club in Worcester in 1986, he was there to referree a match involving a very young Stephen Hendry, we had a drink & chat about his doing World Championship finals & other stuff. Beat that! Actually I can myself, but that can wait for another time :cool:
    Fizzbin wrote:
    Not a huge celebrity, but I actually walked into Tony Britten (Fern's dad) in the west end in the late 70s. Neither of us were looking where we were going.
    Tony Britton was a huge celeb in those days, and a really good comic actor, Robin's Nest and Don't Wait Up spring to mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who else have you met?
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I forgot this one, many years ago a friend and me went to see Anthony Hopkins in a play in the West End (long before Silence of the Lambs). We met him outside and he very nice and chatted for a while. Then, as he was waiting for his wife to come and pick him up he noticed us trying and completely failing to hail a cab. The lovely man then stepped into the road, got us a cab immediately and sent us on our way :)
  • Options
    Andrea JacksonAndrea Jackson Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw Delta Goodrem once in a services off the M6 near Stoke-on-Trent in March 2004.
    She didn't even get one iota of recognition from anyone!! (aside from me and a few others maybe... but not much notice otherwise!)
  • Options
    prettyflowersprettyflowers Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was eyed up by Chris Wise - Emma Thompson's very good looking husband - once, does that count?

I was walking in Soho square and passed him on a corner
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Oh I forgot, I was eyed up by Kenny Everett (a couple of years before he died) in Heaven club (the only time I've ever been there). Although I was/am a huge fan of his, he really wasn't my type so I tried to look away!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got chatted up by Ian Page (ex Secret Affair) a few years ago. When I was 14, I thought he was lush, now I thought he was a bit of a sad old man.

Hubby accidently p'ssed on Morten Harkets leg once and my mate trapped Ken Livingstones arm in the lift doors.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,053
    Forum Member
    I trod on Boy George's foot as I stepped away from the Chanel counter in Selfridges and was nearly turned to stone by a hissy fit look (he aint half tall as well yer know).

My other encounter was a few years ago,when I got on a train at Waterloo and was walking through the carriages and saw a bloke looking at me, as I walked toward him. Thinking he was a friend of my dad's, as I recognised him, I gave him a big smile and a hello.... he smiled back really nicely and said, "Huuullo" in an amused way, as I walked by. About half an hour later, I realised it was John Thaw ...... lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How did your hubby manage to accidentally do that?!?!?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I trod on Boy George's foot as I stepped away from the Chanel counter in Selfridges and was nearly turned to stone by a hissy fit look (he aint half tall as well yer know).

My other encounter was a few years ago,when I got on a train at Waterloo and was walking through the carriages and saw a bloke looking at me, as I walked toward him. Thinking he was a friend of my dad's, as I recognised him, I gave him a big smile and a hello.... he smiled back really nicely and said, "Huuullo" in an amused way, as I walked by. About half an hour later, I realised it was John Thaw ...... lol

Not bad. :)
    One of my other bizarre encounters a long time ago was interviewing the fuzzy-faced naturalist David Bellamy in a car park on the Malvern Hills. He wasn't amused when I asked him to "gwapple my grape nuts." :eek: Looking back, I don't blame him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    One of my other bizarre encounters a long time ago was interviewing the fuzzy-faced naturalist David Bellamy in a car park on the Malvern Hills. He wasn't amused when I asked him to "gwapple my grape nuts." Looking back, I don't blame him.

LOL - Reminds me of that scene in Father Ted when Ted spots Richard Wilson in a car park and says to Dougal wouldn't it be funny if I went up to him and shouted "I don't belieeeeve it". Dougal responds that this would indeed be excellent. Needless to say Richard Wilson isn't impressed, especially when Ted gets his catchphrase wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My brother and some of his college friends once had a cup of tea with Stephen Hendry :)

It was during the World Championships in Sheffield, they were just walking past the hotel when they bumped him. He invited them in for a cup of tea. He said "I've always got time for my fans". Trouble is, none of them were actually fans of his :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was eyed up by Chris Wise - Emma Thompson's very good looking husband - once, does that count?

I was walking in Soho square and passed him on a corner

Greg Wise :D;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    When I was at Uni in the early 90s, The Farm came to play at our student union. I bumped into one of the band (God knows his name) and tried to blag a free t-shirt off him. He basically said that would be cool but only if I snogged him.

I didn't.

Also about 3 years earlier, Hollywood Actor Matt Dillon asked me for a light in a pub near Hampton Court Palace. That was great. Wish he was the one who had asked me for a snog. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I came face to face with Sissy from Big Brother 4 at the Tribal Gathering warehouse party in Manchester last year. It was about 3am and suffice to say I wasn't completely together by that point in the evening.. so all i could think of doing was pointing at her at and blurting out "bigg brrotherr" incoherently.

She looked a bit peeved and said 'Yeah?' and stormed away from me. Never liked her anyway - oh well!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    My Mum and Dad were on holiday, and all week my Mum was convinced that she knew a girl but couldn't remeber where from, it finally got the better of her and she went over and said "don't you work in the Kwik Save in the village?"
    Wanting the floor to swallow her up when she told my Mum "no I'm from emmerdale!!"
    It was one of Zoe's girlfriends at the time LOL, she's never done it again!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    miss-x- wrote:
    My Mum and Dad were on holiday, and all week my Mum was convinced that she knew a girl but couldn't remeber where from, it finally got the better of her and she went over and said "don't you work in the Kwik Save in the village?"
    Wanting the floor to swallow her up when she told my Mum "no I'm from emmerdale!!"
    It was one of Zoe's girlfriends at the time LOL, she's never done it again!

:D

God love your mother...

That would certainly have kept the girls feet on the ground.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was standing in a long queue in a local bank. The service was really slow and people were muttering about it. I exchanged a few mutters about the poor service with the man in front of me. After waiting a bit longer without the queue moving he turned around and stormed off shouting about how useless the bank was. That set even more mutters going and people asking me what he had said to me. I was rather bemused until someone told me that in fact I had been talking to Martin Clunes! I didn't recognise him as I don't usually watch things he is in and I did not realise he now had short hair.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    saw Leo Sayer at the Heathrow once.....how cool is that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bossyboots wrote:
    I was standing in a long queue in a local bank. The service was really slow and people were muttering about it. I exchanged a few mutters about the poor service with the man in front of me. After waiting a bit longer without the queue moving he turned around and stormed off shouting about how useless the bank was. That set even more mutters going and people asking me what he had said to me. I was rather bemused until someone told me that in fact I had been talking to Martin Clunes! I didn't recognise him as I don't usually watch things he is in and I did not realise he now had short hair.
    Sounds like he was in character for Doc Martin, we need more curmudgeonly celebs.

bsob wrote:
    saw Leo Sayer at the Heathrow once.....how cool is that?
    That makes me feel like dancin
    I feel like dancin'
    Dancin'
    Dance the night away
    I feel like dancin'
    Dancin'
    (Aaaah!)
    :eek: I'll get me sparkly 70s coat :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I've had three, kinda.

One was I was walking down Cross Street in Manchester with friends and I seen Clair Sweeny rushing past Selfridges, dressed up as if she was on a night out, crying, and she just barged past us!

The second was I was in Boots in Manchester and about 4 of the England football team were in there with pushchairs (with babiesin, lol). It was just strange!

I was in a Bus in Manchester city centre and it stopped becasue of the traffic, and I seen Curly Watts from Corination Street walking past, in a huge coat, which kinda looked like he was Batman, lol...

Manchester is great for celebs! :) The amount of Corrie stars I've seen it crazy!