Sony RDR-GXD500 DVD Recorder

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
Forum Member
Has anyone got a Sony RDR-GXD500? If so how good are they? May cancel my order of LiteOn! :confused:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    Update to above, have cancelled LiteOn 5006 and ordered Sony RDR-GXD500. Will update with a report how good it is when it arrives. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good decision, I suspect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone got a Sony RDR-GXD500? If so how good are they? May cancel my order of LiteOn! :confused:

I've a RDR-GX300. The picture and sound are superb and recording works fine on +RW and -R.

Very happy with Sony A+ quality :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Hello Everybody.
    I had ordered a 5006 from Amazon but after reading this thread I cancelled and ordered a Sony RDR-GX700 from Dabs.
    Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb.The piggy bank is in bits on the floor.Ha.
    Regards.
    amdaley.
    Forum Member
    Many thanks for all the encouragement, think I’ll sleep better tonight. Ha, ha. :):):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if I have a Sony VTXD800U receiver and the GXD 500 - to get twin tuner recording - does this confuse the remote - ie are there seperate signals for the freeview controls on the GXD ??

I presume Sony have thought of this ??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to your review Betamax_man as I've been waiting for ages for a matching DVD recorder to my Sony iDTV.

Does this recorder come as region 2 and require hardware mods to play R1 discs or is there a software hack?
  • phelingsphelings Posts: 3,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sony recorders are not hackable-they need a chip.
    Of all the brands out there,Sony seem to command badge loyalty more than any other,which is a shame as they capitalise on it by overpricing all their equipment compared to other makes,and their dvd recorders,although featuring + and - recording,miss out editing features you normally get from both formats on other recorders.
    Forum Member
    Hi sanx, still waiting delivery, and to answer your question: There is a company that offers a modified remote control, which you hire, to perform the multi region hack, then return it to them again. Check out

http://www.dvdchips.co.uk/

for more info. Hope this helps.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Hi Betamax_man, I am eagerly awaiting your review of the Sony RDR-GXD500 DVD Recorder and hope you receive it soon. I was going to buy a Liteon 5006 but have major doubts about this recorder now after looking at the forums.

My basic needs for a recorder are as follows:
    1) To record onto DVD from TV initially and from a Freeview box eventually (yet to be purchased)
    2) To record from VCR onto DVD (both pre-recorded videos and home-made videos)
    3) To record straight onto DVD from my Camcorder (would be nice, though not essential as PC has Firewire port and DVD Writer)
    4) To play pre-recorded DVDs on the recorder
    5) To play my recorded DVDs on another DVD player

The Sony RDR-GXD500 seems to fit the bill, particularly as it has built-in Freeview. I presume that I will be able to connect 1 DVD recorder, 1 DVD Player, 1 VCR Recorder and 1 Stereo system with 5.1 surround sound to the TV ok - any thoughts on this setup would be appreciated from anyone reading this.

I think I read somewhere that to record onto DVD from pre-recorded videos that I will need a special cable to get round the macrovision protection, does anyone know which one is the best/cheapest?

I don't think the Sony RDR-GXD500 will be able to record straight onto DVD from my camcorder as it has no DV in/out (I presume thats what DV in/out does?) so it doesn't quite meet my wishes there. However, doing this on a PC is probably better anyway as I will be able to edit the footage before writing it back to DVD.

There is one thing I don't understand about DVD recorders though. It seems that both the Liteon 5006 and the Sony RDR-GXD500 only offer 2 channel audio. Does this refer to recording from TV only or does this also apply to a) recording from pre-recorded material and b) playing pre-recorded material? If so, this would be a real shame as I have a TV/Audio system that has 5.1 surround sound. Ok, if necessary I could still use my Ronin P80H just to play DVDs but that is presuming that I can hook the player up successfully with all the other units that I will have....

Any input on the above points from anyone would be really useful. This is my first foray into the world of DVD recorders and I don't really understand it all.
    :eek:
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm keeping on the lookout for anyone actually stocking the GXD500. From what I can see on Pricerunner http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/sound-and-vision/vision/dvd-players/226912/prices no-one actualy has it yet, but at least are quoting prices!

I'd be interested to hear when someone actually gets hold of one!
    Forum Member
    I found a couple of places selling them...

http://www.homecinemaheaven.com/prod_info/dvdrec/rdrgxd50.htm

http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/rdrgxd500/rdrgxd500.htm

...but I don't know much about either of these dealers. Both seem to come with multi-region hack enabled but no Macrovision hack.

Wizkid - when I bought my first Sony DVD from Techtronics they modified the hardware it to play multi-region and block macrovision so I could tape DVD's onto VCR if I wanted. I would imagine such a hack will be available for the Sony too (dedicated Macrovision blockers seem rather expensive!).

BTW - Anyone know what happened to Techtronics? They don't seem to be around anymore (unless they have renamed the company) and I had a few AV things off them and they were very fast, friendly & efficient.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    ... yes I too have purchased an awful lot over the years from them... unfortunately they went in to liquidation in September which was a great shame as I got excellent service from them - even though they were based out in the sticks :cry: !
    Forum Member
    ... I considered the GXD500... then I dispensed with the idea, especially as Sony UK could not even give you a full specification over the phone.

Until recently, I had a Humax PVR-8000T HDD recorder and Sony DVP-NS730 PAL Progressive Player, both which served me excellently... however I wanted a twin tuner HDD recorder from which I could occasionally archive to a DVD (Fusion were once going to produce an all-in-one... its not happening - promisies, promises! :( ).

When I heard of Sony's model I got very excited which then turned to misery - in truth it is an expensive entry-level recorder, without twin DVB tuners, and the DVD quality of picture is unlikely to reach the standard of the standalone player I used to have, as Sony UK say its not PAL progressive (somewhat odd) - I certainly notice the difference on the 32MRX1 LCD TV I am very fortunate to have (milestone treat!). Why didn't they put at least one DVB tuner in to their 700 and 900 HDD/DVD recorders - that would have been bliss! :confused:

Btw, I hope to take delivery of a Panasonic TUCTH100 at any time now and have upgraded to a Sony DVP LS785 player-only that matches other L series equipment, unlike the previous one!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sanx wrote:
    I found a couple of places selling them...

http://www.homecinemaheaven.com/prod_info/dvdrec/rdrgxd50.htm

http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/rdrgxd500/rdrgxd500.htm

...but I don't know much about either of these dealers. .

AV-Land say "DETAILS ARE TENTATIVE", whereas Home Cinema Heaven say it is "IN STOCK".

Can anyone confirm/deny this?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Hi Nirm, interesting post but could you explain what PAL Progressive is and what twin DVB tuners are? :confused:
    Forum Member
    Twin DVB tuners allow you to record one Freeview digital channel whilst watching another.

For me this isn't a problem, as I have an IDTV, but for the people with analogue sets it saves them having to buy a standalone Freeview decoder for their TV (one box/remote less!!!).

Until IDTV's become the 'norm' recorders with twin DVB tuners are going to be very desirable.
    Forum Member
    Thanks "sanx" for replying to the "thewizkid" re twin tuners...

PAL Progressive in essence can up to double the number of lines displayed on increasingly compatible plasma, lcd and high-end TVs. The end result is effectively removing jagged lines on smooth edges, improving overall resolution and colour rendition - you really do notice the difference.

Most new mid-range players are now PAL (for Europe; in the US is NTSC for almost 2 years) Progressive and most probably within the year even entry- level will have the capability - so why Sony seem to have ommitted this from their expensive entry-level player is a mystery!
    Forum Member
    Seem to be more people selling these now...

http://audiovisual.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ps_11227561/100304323.html

...£379.99 for the multi-region version seems to be the going rate. If anyone has any experience with any of these dealers I'd appreciate the comments, good or (especially) bad!

Gonna have a look see if I can get a demo in the shops this wknd.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    sanx wrote:
    Twin DVB tuners allow you to record one Freeview digital channel whilst watching another.

For me this isn't a problem, as I have an IDTV, but for the people with analogue sets it saves them having to buy a standalone Freeview decoder for their TV (one box/remote less!!!).

Until IDTV's become the 'norm' recorders with twin DVB tuners are going to be very desirable.

I'd say that even when IDTVs are normal, twin tuners would be desirable as we now have more channels so you could record 2 things and watch a third. Of course, this relies on there being three half decent things on TV.
    Forum Member
    Now for the good news.

Have taken delivery of a Sony RDR-GXD500 DVD recorder. First impressions are very good (pleased I cancelled the LiteOn 5006). The unit is so simple to install, doing most things for you. The built in digital tuner responds quickly if you put in the three digit number i.e. 001 for BBC ONE, and the picture quality is very good - no different to my iDTV when using RGB. Recording quality at the standard play is also just as good - cannot tell the difference between TV and recorded material. DVD-RW seems to be the best bet, as you can use chasing play only with this type of disc i.e. time slip veiwing, which is strange as Sony back DVD+R. The remote control is compatable with other brands of TV and amplifier, and can control up to three Sony DVD players/recorders. On the down side, the unit does not have firewire for DV camcorders (this does not bother me as I only have SVHS, and this is catered for) and does not record to CD (big deal!).

If I have any probs in future, I will post them here

Price? £309.99 from unbeatable.co.uk.

John. :):):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recording quality at the standard play is also just as good - cannot tell the difference between TV and recorded material.

How long can you record in 'standard play' on a DVD-RW disk?

Does it index the recordings with the programme name?

Does it support VideoPlus?

Thanks for the first review I've seen!
    Forum Member
    Hi Stig.

1) In HQ 60 mins, HSP 90 mins, SP 120 mins, LP 180 mins, EP 240 mins, SLP 360 mins. Obviously the longer thr recording time, the worse the picture quality. SP is good for most films.

2) Yes it does index the recordings and add chapter marks as well.

3) Does not have VideoPlus but does use the Freeview 8 day EPG. Also it will start recording, if set to do so, when a $ky receiver timer signals a timer recording i.e. $ky EPG. Simpler than VideoPlus? Hope this helps.

John.

:):):):)
  • phelingsphelings Posts: 3,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems this machine has a digital tuner only.No analogue.But if you already have Freeview then there are HDD/DVDR combos available for not much more than Sony's standard over the top pricing for this model
    Forum Member
    Can you tell me why you would want an analogue tuner? I can see no reason for one at all. I have an iDTV, but didn't want to be able to ONLY record what I was watching. Is there a PVR/DVD Recorder combo that has a digital tuner? For me the Sony fits the bill. As for over priced, granted Sony's cost more than your LiteOn's etc., but is there really any comparison?