Options

Sky Movies - Picture Quality Deterioration

TCTC Posts: 152
Forum Member
It would appear that Sky have been shuffling channels on transponders again and, at the end of last month, moved National Geo, National Geo +1 and British Eurosport onto TP7 (11.837H) alongside Sky Movies 1,2 and 3. This has resulted ina significant drop in picture quality with softness and pixellation now much more common, particularly in dimly lit scenes. This was very noticeable with the premiere of 2Fast 2Furious last night.

Have others noticed the drop in quality?

I trust this will only be a temporary "glitch" or I'll have to seriously think about buying DVDs again. I have never worried too much about DVD extras and with the quality of picture available until recently on SM1 and 2 (even on a 50" plasma), I was quite happy to wait a year until a film was shown on Sky Movies.

Perhaps this is a move intended to make Hi-Def look even better when it arrives in 2006!

TC

Comments

• Options
    Clacton CrewClacton Crew Posts: 1,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the picture on Sky One is not that good now on Voyager. it looks like an old VHS tape playing may be this is why.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definately agree this is quite important, after all, we are paying extra for these channels, and they are premium channels. I expect them to look like DVDs, and have a high bitrate. They better not do this with the Sky Sports channels, they need a high bitrate for the footy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    sky sports 1-3 is fairly low bitrate i think. you can definetely see picture degredation during games, especially when you compare it to prem plus
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I've noticed it on many channels on Sky. It's particularly noticable on things such as water and the sky (blue things - I dunno why, lol). They almost look like VCD quality!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    Yeah, unfortunately watching most TV with plasma screens can be quite dissapointing at the moment, the large screen makes picture deteriation so obvious that DNR (Digital Noise Reduction) on the tv needs to be turned to full to make the picture more pleasing to watch however it means sacrificing the sharpness a little.

For a long time though i have always thought SkyMovies was giving the best picture quality on the TV over my DVD player, but then i changed the DVD to a new 12bit/108mhz player with the progressive scanning and YPbPr stuff, and now the quality looks absolutely superb, if this quality could be achieved on all sky channels with the standard 4-5mbps bitrate of the DVD's i tested then i'd probably think twice about bothering with HDTV... but as it stands HDTV all the way :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed this a lot on many channels also, especially the music ones. Hopefully it's only temporary because if it isn't, back to ntl digital I go!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some further observations...

SM1 and SM2 are more badly affected than SM3.

Picture quality on other Sky Movies channels is still pretty much OK, as it is on the 4 other channels on this transponder.

Typical 2 hour movie on SM1 now only occupies 2% of 120MB hard disk on Sky+ or around 6% on 40MB. This roughly equates to a bit rate of:

(40,000,000,000 x .06 x 8 bits per byte) / (120 minutes x 60 secs) = 2.667 Mbits / sec

This is a damn sight les than one seventh of the available capacity per transponder which, as far as I recall and after application of the FEC factor is about 36 Mbits / sec and suggests that Sky's bit-rate allocation is NOT what its should be.

If anyone technical from Sky is reading this, please would you fix it!

TC
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the picture on Sky One is not that good now on Voyager. it looks like an old VHS tape playing may be this is why.

The Simpsons picture Quilty last Sunday was awful it looked like a badly encoded MPEG.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how come movies of sky only take about 120 Mb of disk space? Because i have been downloading HD TV xivd files of the internet and a 45 min show takes up about 348 Mb of disk space are these much higher quality than sky?.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    I had problems watching mib2 yesterday evening on sky movies 3.
    checked signal quality and strength which was 100% strength and 90% quality.
    so i guess its the stream thats crappy.
    jon
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    how come movies of sky only take about 120 Mb of disk space? Because i have been downloading HD TV xivd files of the internet and a 45 min show takes up about 348 Mb of disk space are these much higher quality than sky?.
    XviD is based on MPEG4/H.264, which is a newer codec and uses less diskspace than MPEG2 does. Yet the results are better.

MPEG4/H.264 achieves this by compressing the pictures using a smarter algorythm. This also means the decoder must use a faster videoprocessor. Try playing your HDTV-XviD's on a 1GHz PC and you'll know what i mean.

Sky uses MPEG2 which uses a less efficient compression algorythm. HDTV-quality streams in MPEG2 would take up a lot more space than your XviD-files.¹

Remember that MPEG2 is almost (or over?) 10 years old now. You can't expect the same results from a 10-year old algorythm that you do from a fairly new one :)

¹= this isn't possible by the way, as MPEG2 doesn't support HDTV-resolutions. Hypothetically, HDTV-quality MPEG2-files would be a lot bigger though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    I think what TC meant to say was 2% of a 120 Gig hard disk or 6% of a 40 Gig one
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I think what TC meant to say was 2% of a 120 Gig hard disk or 6% of a 40 Gig one
    I think that's what he said actually :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

It certainly was (and I'm always saying MB when I mean GB!) but the calculation had the right number of zeroes (and yes I do know that 40GB is actually 42,949,672,960 bytes).

TC
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Those files were capped from a HD source and then down converted to something like 624*352 which is a lower resolution than PAL. Given the higher quality source material you can see why these look so much better than caps from a couple of years ago that were mainly from NTSC sources. I can't comment on how the xvid caps look on a large TV since I have to re-encode them to something my current DVD player accepts either SVCD or DVD spec.
    While they do look stunning on the PC I would still rather watch CSI Miami (for example) on Dsat Five then a capped version of the show:)

When SKY launch their HD service there should also be benefits for viewers/subscribers who have a HD STB but are down converting to PAL. The resulting picture should be better than the standard PAL standard definition broadcasts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so even if you have not got an HD TV you will still be able to use the new sky HD box and get a better picture than what we have now on a standered TV. i wonder how much these HD sky digi boxes will be? will they have much bigger Hard Disks in like over 250GB?.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so even if you have not got an HD TV you will still be able to use the new sky HD box and get a better picture than what we have now on a standered TV. i wonder how much these HD sky digi boxes will be? will they have much bigger Hard Disks in like over 250GB?.

Assuming SKY include the ability to downconvert a HD signal to standard PAL then yes you could get a superior picture from the HD service on your standard PAL telly.
    Internal scaling is pretty much the norm for the current HD boxes around the world and I would be very surprised if SKY launched a HD STB then didn't have this feature.

I expect the cost to be around £400, after all the people who would be buying would already have spent thousands on suitable displays and then be prepared to spend X amount for an additional HD package. However since the current mpegII HD STB's are around that price now come 2006 I would hope that advances in manufacturing and the size of inital production runs would bring the price down to around £300.
    Just like SKY+ the early adoptors will still have to pay the premium prices to get the kit:)
    Again you have to assume that SKY will incorporate HD recording in it's High Def STB, I can't see any real point in not doing so and then the capacity would depend upon the codec used. If they stick to mpegII you would need a 250gig at least, if they use mpeg4 or wm9 then you can have a smaller hard drive and be able to record the same amount.
    The cost of the hard drives and there long term supply will also be a factor in the decision on what capacity/drive to use.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This evening the problem has really started to annoy me so, for a laugh (and I should have known better!), I decided to speak to Sky.

All that happened, on being put through to the technical area, was that I ended up talking to someone who just wanted to start an argument with me... "The only thing that can possibly be is a problem with your signal reception etc. etc." For the record, I know damn well it isn't but what does that count for with these idiots?

Does anybody have an e-mail address of someone in Sky that might listen to genuine concerns from one of their subscribers about this deterioration in picture quality?

TC
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, no TC it MUST be a reception problem with digiboxes, sure didn't sky say so, and it's ONLY just started affecting thousands of people's digiboxes! :)

This BETTER be a technical fault or I will seriously consider cancelling my digital subscription with them. And it is NOT my digibox fault either, because ntl here in Ireland receive their channels from astra too, and the exact some problem is occuring with the ntl analogue feeds of the channels as with the digital feeds from sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PK,

Thank you for your support and confirming I'm not going mad.

Now do we think Sky are actually aware of the issue or is it a deliberate act? Could someone with good technical contacts in Sky, like AlanJ do some digging for us?

TC
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Hi all,

If anyone is interested, the quality on Telewest has been poor recently - especially on SKY One ( E4 looks blocky as well ). As a couple of the other posts mentioned, Voyager and The Simpsons were/are particularly poor - so it isn't just SKY.

Thanks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TC wrote:

(40,000,000,000 x .06 x 8 bits per byte) / (120 minutes x 60 secs) = 2.667 Mbits / sec

TC

You've taken a variable bit rate and tried to average it which is impossible to do, the channel is multiplexed to provide the channel with the bandwidth it needs, afterall the picture does not pixellate during high bitrate scenes does it , with a plasma its no surprise there might be some problems but most of them are geared up (or should be so) for HDTV not SDTV , most people watch the services on 32'' or less tv's and the quality is fine. No major outburts of protests from lots of viewers seem to be happening.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goodold wrote:
    Hi all,

If anyone is interested, the quality on Telewest has been poor recently - especially on SKY One ( E4 looks blocky as well ). As a couple of the other posts mentioned, Voyager and The Simpsons were/are particularly poor - so it isn't just SKY.

Thanks.

E4 has always been crap quality. Somes up Channel 4 channels in content to :D

I presume that Sky must be using more compression or something before the channels are uplinked, perhaps space saving for HDTV tests or something :confused:

To be honest I havent noticed any difference on Sky Movies on ntl, I havent watched Sky One in about a year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Yes partly due to skys bitrate. But it also will depend on whether the actual film sprt event or whatever is actually recorded digitally in the first place. Like recording an old LP on to digital. Quality suffers..

Further it depends on the memory your sky decoder has. Older boxes had less memory and a slower processor. Old pace boxes etc. Channel listings slowwwww.... If you look at your version number no * next to it means older memory the star is enhanced memory.

Any furthers questions message me I can help with almost any querie here dont be afraid to ask.