Options

nationwide when?

i know nothing about homechioce. I was wouldering when its going nation wide

Comments

• Options
    JRHJRH Posts: 6,588
    Forum Member
    Doubt it'll be for a while yet - the service needs something like a 3/4meg connection to operate (2.5Mb for TV, 1Mb for internet), and most people exchanges can only deal with speeds upto 2Mb - and of course, the majority of people can only get 1Mb or 512k, due to their distance from the exchange.

Expect a wait, but perhaps it's not too far off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jrhnewark wrote:
    Doubt it'll be for a while yet - the service needs something like a 3/4meg connection to operate (2.5Mb for TV, 1Mb for internet), and most people exchanges can only deal with speeds upto 2Mb - and of course, the majority of people can only get 1Mb or 512k, due to their distance from the exchange.

Expect a wait, but perhaps it's not too far off.

Once they begin using ADSL2, that wouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As I say, perhaps not too far off - but still no real timescale has been laid out.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An interesting article in todays Indy (or Guardian) media section.

BT are currently upgrading all there exchanges, and by 2008 should be able to offer 4MB+ connections to all, including VOD services. So at a guess, within half a decade most of the metropolitan areas will be able to get a home choice style service :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And UK Online is launching an 8meg service for (cough, cough) Easynet LL Unbundled exchanges - and only £39.99 per month, with 4GB a day download limit.

I almost fell off my chair.

Oh, wait. From the list of LLU exchanges:
    Mansfield
    Mansfield
    Nottinghamshire

Nottingham Longbow
    Nottingham
    Nottinghamshire

Basford
    Nottingham
    Nottinghamshire
    Nice. Mansfield gets it. Newark doesn't. As per f*cking usual.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it is only for those that live within 2Km of the exchange.. So how many would that be then?

Zen
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, I suppose a lot of people do live within 2km of their exchange - I live right on the edge of a town of 40,000, but I'm still within 2km of the exchange.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jrhnewark wrote:
    And UK Online is launching an 8meg service for (cough, cough) Easynet LL Unbundled exchanges - and only £39.99 per month, with 4GB a day download limit.

I almost fell off my chair.

Oh, wait. From the list of LLU exchanges:

Nice. Mansfield gets it. Newark doesn't. As per f*cking usual.
    Hmm, looks like Nottingham City doesn't get it either. IIRC my work place in NG1 is served from NOTTINGHAM TRENTSIDE! (We are using a 4MB service from Easynet, but have a shared leased line IIRC)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So, do you have any idea where 'Longbow' is??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Hey get this Homechoice have a major office in Stevenage and they are also sponsoring the Stevenage Christmas lights (like its worth anything) and yet I can't get Homechoice in Stevenage, does this make sense?!?!?!?
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That exchange distance thing applies only to BT Wholesale resold products. There is a distance limit with Homechoice but it is much longer as they are using their own equipment in the DSLAMs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it'll take forever for HC to go nationwide - they'll have to unbundle every exchange that they want to work from.

Otherwise, they'll just have to change how they work it, and use other people's DSLAMs.
  • Options
    bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..i live in East London and Homechoice is not available here - just central, west and little bits of north and south.

H
  • Options
    NikhilNikhil Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    samilshah wrote:
    That exchange distance thing applies only to BT Wholesale resold products. There is a distance limit with Homechoice but it is much longer as they are using their own equipment in the DSLAMs

Its about 6km for homechoice at the moment, but this is set to increase when they start using ADSL2 hopefully.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    avfc82 wrote:
    Hey get this Homechoice have a major office in Stevenage and they are also sponsoring the Stevenage Christmas lights (like its worth anything) and yet I can't get Homechoice in Stevenage, does this make sense?!?!?!?

Homechoice is launching in stevenage today.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Are we sure ? (Stevenage launch)

Has anyone any further information on this?
  • Options
    Mr BrightsideMr Brightside Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    id love homechoice to go nationwide, if it did id seriously think about getting it!!

AL
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Are we sure ? (Stevenage launch)

Has anyone any further information on this?

I thought I heard something about it on local radio this morning.

Also, if you put your postcode in on the HomeChoice website without a gap in the middle, it says it's available!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    The HomeChoice at a glance map doesn't yet show anywhere outside london
    http://www.homechoice.co.uk/pcode/postcode.checker?sitetemplate=level1

Video Networks’ Head Office is in Holland Park, West London. The technology and call centres are located in Stevenage and the operations centre and master server centre are at Staples Corner, North London. There are two additional server centres at Croydon (South West London) and Greenwich (South East London).

http://www.videonetworks.com/about.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    as far as i,m aware it will not be avalible to any small towns as i have worked with this company and i provied part of their network solution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    halo2 wrote:
    as far as i,m aware it will not be avalible to any small towns as i have worked with this company and i provied part of their network solution.

The launch was yesterday, VNL had a launch event with the mayor of Stevenage and is accepting orders now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    The map has changed :)
    Stenage is out there miles away on its own.
    http://www.homechoice.co.uk/pcode/postcode.checker?sitetemplate=level1
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    That map just looks so wrong! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Amdg95 wrote:
    Homechoice is launching in stevenage today.

Got all the info in the post today, is it worth it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    avfc82 wrote:
    Got all the info in the post today, is it worth it?

I think it's a good product at a fantastic price...the selection of VoD movies they have is huge and the way I look at it, I switched broadband providers and get tv and phone servies for free.