Options

Challenge +1 is set to launch on Sky Digital

bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,707
Forum Member
It's launching on 122 on Monday December 13th.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is going on with digital lately?!
    We have enough rubbish channels already, there's absolutely no need to start creating timeshift versions of channels! Put some decent quality channels on, and if you want timeshift, get sky+!
  • Options
    Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    Not everyone can afford sky+ so timeshifts are the only option to see a prgramme later.
  • Options
    hugonhugon Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put some decent quality channels on

Who? What other channels put on is nothing to do with Sky or Challenge. If challenge want to put on a +1 channel, it certainly doesn't harm me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You see now - challenge will launch a +1 channel, and the picture quality of all the channels on that TP will drop way down because they just cram it in and turn up all the compression rates on the rest of the streams.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    At the rate that channels are popping up, the tv picture will become internet stream quality!
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Anyway of adding it to "other channels" before it officially launches?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,258
    Forum Member
    8skellerns wrote:
    At the rate that channels are popping up, the tv picture will become internet stream quality!
    I am sure as time goes on the Techies, will come up with new compression.. We have mp3, mp3pro and now mp4 for example.

and I was lead to believe that tprs could only have 8 channels or so... (anyone out there clarify this).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    What is going on with digital lately?!
    We have enough rubbish channels already, there's absolutely no need to start creating timeshift versions of channels! Put some decent quality channels on, and if you want timeshift, get sky+!

As has been said, not everyone can afford Sky+, but I agree in some part, some channels work having +1 channels, Discovery comes to mind, but for the likes of UKGold and Challenge, what is the point of timeshifting programmes an hour they already show numerous times a month anyway.
  • Options
    philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,178
    Forum Member
    busy month for flextech television december then!

Living TV 2 and now Challenge +1, what will be next? Screenshop +1?
  • Options
    HarshadHarshad Posts: 5,996
    Forum Member
    This is fooked! :sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's launching on 122 on Monday December 13th.[/QUOTE

OH God no
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pkc wrote:
    and I was lead to believe that tprs could only have 8 channels or so... (anyone out there clarify this).

It all depends on the bandwidth of the transponder in question - there are often different bandwiths available on any one satellite. Some of the Hotbird tp's have 15 or more channels squeezed in (mainly Italian shopping and low budget tarot channels! :D)
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    8skellerns wrote:

It already is with a couple of the shopping channels :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would much rather have Challenge +1 than another Friendly TV clone.
  • Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would much rather have Challenge +1 than another Friendly TV clone.

Any idea's when it will start testing?
  • Options
    OtisOtis Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    busy month for flextech television december then!

Busy december 13th to be precise, as that is when 'Living 2' is supposed to arrive.

(Of course they all don't need to be on the same transponder - just look where 'Home & Leisure' is compared with 'Home & Leisure +1' )...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all depends on the bandwidth of the transponder in question

But all Astra transponders (19.2, 23.5 and 28.2 east) are of the same bandwidth.

Eutelsat offer different bandwidths - via Eurobird at 28 east.

Astra don't do different transponder bandwidths, never have ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Digi Man wrote:

BTW i got this news from the challenge forums where it was posted by a Challenge employee.

It maybe testing now, as i have a feeling that it will share with Trouble Reload.

If not then i would think Monday.
  • Options
    TechnixTechnix Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTW i got this news from the challenge forums where it was posted by a Challenge employee.

It maybe testing now, as i have a feeling that it will share with Trouble Reload.

If not then i would think Monday.

Trouble Reload shares with Ftn, it might be 24hrs or share with Living TV 2 which also launches on the same day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pkc wrote:
    I am sure as time goes on the Techies, will come up with new compression.. We have mp3, mp3pro and now mp4 for example.

Well I wouldn't imagine that the older set top boxes would have enough processing power to decode mpeg 4. I mean, try watching mpeg4 on a 4 year old PC, and then against a new one. The picture quality is very noticeably different!
    pkc wrote:

Supposedly that is the ideal capacity for them, but the MTV transponder has 14 different channels (4 different streams of MTV1 - ridiculous) and the UKTV transponder has 15!
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digi Man wrote:

Why not just change your clock on your wall now to one hour later, then watch Challenge TV, and pretend it's the test! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the MTV transponder has 14 different channels (4 different streams of MTV1 - ridiculous) and the UKTV transponder has 15!
    Neither transponder has that many simultaneous video streams - you might be counting interactive labels, which will give you the video from a stream elsewhere on the transponder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well when you type in the Frequency of the Transponder and search for channels on it, it turns up 14 or 15 channels available for you to add to "Other Channels" on sky digibox.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the UKTV transponder has 15!

No it doesn't, when you actually work it out (taking all the time sharing into account) it effectively carries EIGHT fulltime TV streams!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well when you type in the Frequency of the Transponder and search for channels on it, it turns up 14 or 15 channels available for you to add to "Other Channels" on sky digibox.

How many of those SHARE BANDWIDTH?!