Options

ITV2 FTV now!

SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭✭
It's happened, ITV2 has gone free to view on Sky in order to show I'm A Celebrity.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    great news
  • Options
    steve007steve007 Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in shock. So how long will this last?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now the question is will it be stop being FTV in a fortnight after IAC finishes? I don't think ITV would dare. It seems to me that they were determined to get ITV2 heading towards the goal of FTA, and this is the first step. Certainly doesn't look like Sky has won the negotiation battle of last week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could be a friendly warning shot to sky that they are serious about itv1 being fta and not be held to ransom anymore for a service they can do for a fraction of what sky charges them , like what the bbc done last year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    johnny_5 wrote:
    It could be a friendly warning shot to sky that they are serious about itv1 being ftv and not be held to ransom anymore for a service they can do for a fraction of what sky charges them , like what the bbc done last year.

I don't think Sky will regard it as friendly ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lonepiner wrote:
    I don't think Sky will regard it as friendly ;)

I know but it is an interesting card itv have played , interesting to see how sky responds ;) .
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I've tried each one of my three FTV cards in my Sky+ box, to see if ITV2 would show up on them. However noy only would ITV2 not come up, nor also would ITV1, Channel 4 & Five. Do these FTV cards become de-activated if left long enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats on the cards is it a picture of a house? , if its the older cards that dont have this then they would no longer work .
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Yes it is a picture of a house, I have put the Sky+ card back in now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im not 2 sure about this but im sure the cards have to be linked to the box before they work , this might be the reason why your old cards might not work with your sky+ box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it is a picture of a house, I have put the Sky+ card back in now.

Hey Bill,

Probably just a case of missing the updates over the last few weeks/months. If left in for a couple of hours/days they should come back on.

While I can't currently confirm the FTV status I can confirm that it no longer displays "This is the wrong card for this set top box".

I do fear that perhaps the current state of affairs is ITV FTV for free, with ITV2 moved out of the family pack. Good scenario for Sky's freesat service if that becomes the norm. Bad for everyone praying for FTA though :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose it going ftv and moving out the family pack will p!ss sky off a bit more as its more champions league games made available to non sky subscribers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    johnny_5 wrote:
    I suppose it going ftv and moving out the family pack will p!ss sky off a bit more as its more champions league games made available to non sky subscribers.

It'll piss them off that their own Freesat service (too little, too late in terms of the market for FTV cards, so not greatly profitable) has just got stronger and the Family Pack just got a whole lot weaker.

Its going to make the 'free' digital market a lot more interesting too, with freesatfromsky and freesat (albeit like freeview non-profit) sweating over who gets the advantage.

Also Freeview exclusive channels will be sweating that they'll miss a lot of the market out there. ABC1, Sports News and a couple more music channels would make freesatfromsky / freesat look stronger.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah its a smart move by itv to cause a bit of bother to sky by changing how itv2 is viewed , as you say it makes the free package look better and weakens a subscription package.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    johnny_5 wrote:
    Yeah its a smart move by itv to cause a bit of bother to sky by changing how itv2 is viewed , as you say it makes the free package look better and weakens a subscription package.

If/when I have to get all the sets in the house upgraded it does make an extra box (funnily I have a spare drx400 kicking around) and FTV card a more attractive option than either multiroom or freeview.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the best bit of news in a long time.
    I was flicking about on my FTV box and noticed this.
    I am so happy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So... any good shows we can catch on ITV 2? Hmph, I guess not!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not so much its better shows its more of a blow to sky because as i mentioned earlier theres more champions league games available to non-sky subscribers , and as jfman said earlier it has made the free package more attractive and the family pack less attractive , thats the point itv have the upper hand in getting a better deal from sky , sky dont want to see itv do the same as the bbc and make their channels fta, as it weakens skys position in the market ,especially when freeview is nearly catching up with them in the households stakes, sky would rather they stayed ftv rather than fta which would only help freeview in the long run .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    johnny_5 wrote:
    Its not so much its better shows its more of a blow to sky because as i mentioned earlier theres more champions league games available to non-sky subscribers , and as jfman said earlier it has made the free package more attractive and the family pack less attractive , thats the point itv have the upper hand in getting a better deal from sky , sky dont want to see itv do the same as the bbc and make their channels fta, as it weakens skys position in the market ,especially when freeview is nearly catching up with them in the households stakes, sky would rather they stayed ftv rather than fta which would only help freeview in the long run .

And whatever "free" viewers are out there Sky would like to keep control of their EPG, their box (for ease of package upgrade), so Sky maintains it dominance. FTA channels would have second thoughts about what they'd be willing to pay Sky for a place on its EPG if there were one or two million boxes outwith Sky's control. Freeview has shown that reasonably priced, reasonable quality FTA can suffice for people looking for a few more channels who do not feel £500 a year is a reasonable price to pay for TV.
  • Options
    TerranusTerranus Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't believe ITV did this to show FTV viewers "I am a celebrity". Remember, today the former contract with Sky expired. They might have signed that 2 months extention only for FTV, as ITV obviously are in a better position than 3 years ago. No need to bring down the costs by putting ITV2 into the family pack anymore.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I do not subscribe to Sky, (for 2 months now), and can confirm too, that ITV2 is FTV :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Can i get it on add channels in the republic???
  • Options
    SlaneSlane Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it's not available on an Irish card.
  • Options
    motor mouthmotor mouth Posts: 4,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when I had OnDigital, during the first Big Brother they showed the live streams FTA, but when the E4 programmes started it encrypted again. Perhaps this is what they are doing with I'm a celebrity?
  • Options
    timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe there was a clause set by Sky when ITV joined to keep ITV2 in the Family Pack which has now exipred?