Options

Mozilla Firefox... so much better than IE...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
Forum Member
Best things

1... updates all your open websites at once
2... loads up all your chosen websites on start-up
3... massive decrease in spyware etc

was extremely easy and quick to install

have been told to change from IE to Firefox for ages... could never go back now

How come... if the Firefox programme is so small... does it have these features that internet explorer doesn't?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    i agree, ive been using MF for lots of months and its really good...i now shudder when i run IE...lol
  • Options
    dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,208
    Forum Member
    aargh!! Do we need yet another of these threads? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    nffcnffc Posts: 1,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do know the Beatles have split up don't you?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dslrocks wrote:
    They are a tad annoying now, but the nore ex IE users converting and telling other IE users about it the better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    dslrocks wrote:

i did have a look for similar posts... think i'm using the search wrongly... put firefox in and got no results at all
    :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah there are a few :) look in the computer forum!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you get your chosen websites to load up at the start?

Alex
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tools > Options > Use Current Pages

This will set the current open tabs as your startup pages. Or just type in URIs separated by bars (|).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! I've had Mozilla (haven't upgraded to Firefox yet) for a couple of years now and I never realised you could set it to open several tabs each with a diffrent page at start up.
    Great idea
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet, Cheers
    nigelnolan wrote:
    Tools > Options > Use Current Pages

This will set the current open tabs as your startup pages. Or just type in URIs separated by bars (|).
  • Options
    JRHJRH Posts: 6,588
    Forum Member
    I'm still in the stone age here... ;)
  • Options
    Brush MasterBrush Master Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jrhnewark wrote:
    I'm still in the stone age here... ;)
    Lynx for web and Pine for email? That's the spirit!
  • Options
    JRHJRH Posts: 6,588
    Forum Member
    Lynx for web and Pine for email? That's the spirit!
    Indeed!

I did use Firefox for a good two months, but I was getting so bored with the fact that plug-ins didn't work, and the fact it took ten times longer to load on my machine than IE, mean't that I left it behind.

When I say 'behind', I mean IE6 - the way forward!
  • Options
    Mr NewshoundMr Newshound Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like Firefox but it seems slower to loadup than IE and so I tend not to use it...

I use it sometimes at Uni depending on the type of machine I'm using

Chris
  • Options
    Brush MasterBrush Master Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like Firefox but it seems slower to loadup than IE and so I tend not to use it...
    While this is not so in the general case (in my experience), it might well be true in your case. Fine. However, Firefox still is the sane choice, as it comes with a completely new set of security holes that are not yet uncovered...
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,686
    Forum Member
    Until Firefox improves management of cooky handling then I will stick with IE.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Love Firefox, its the greatest. Wipes the floor with IE. Very speedy, tabbed windows are absolutely essential and the themese are fantastic. Too bad that ms hasn't updated ie in years, if they had, explorer might have been a decent browser. It has lots of potential and people falling over themselves to use it despite the security holes.

Try the calendar extension its pretty niffty http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4037833.stm Firefox has finally pushed IE's penetration to less than 90%, from more than 95% a year ago.

The tide is gradually changing :)
  • Options
    Rob_OnlineRob_Online Posts: 2,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've started using Firfox now, much better i think.
    Like the fact that you can change the Themes as well. Alot faster than IE

:)
  • Options
    ChristophChristoph Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've tried Firefox / Mozilla / Avant and to be honest, until they render pages consistently and correctly I won't be hurrrying back to them. There's such an amzing inconsistency of font sizes & layouts on even v. popular sites - eg BBC - that it appears to be random sometimes as to whether a site will be legible or not. IE is rock solid every time.

And the layout? The bonkers Telgraph Letters are a good example actually. In IE they opened up in a new 'small' window, sized nicely to the left. In these alternative browsers we get a new tabbed full size window. Telegraph letters aren't meant to be viewed as one long line of text. It's been changed now anyway so isn't an issue :)

We al have our foibles, but I'm not mad keen either on having to close pages otherwise they all open up again when the browser next gets an outing.
    Tabs? Nice touch, but no real diference from having multiple windows open with a button each at the bottom of the screen instead of the top.
    Speed isn't an issue - 2Mb broadband opens pages up plenty fast enough most of the time thank you. And what's the problem with updating? Windows invites me to install updates at a time that might suit me, rather than me having to keep going back to the others websites to check.

IE works, and it works well. I never have system crashes, pages are virtually always rendered correctly, and pop-ups just aren't an issue somehow. Maybe giving 'particular' types of website an extremely wide berth is the best route to not being troubled by spam, pop-ups, trojans etc.

W2K, IE6. Never a problem.
  • Options
    jamesp26jamesp26 Posts: 3,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firefox is the future! Tabbed browsing is great, as is the pop up blocker, and i love its download manager. I also like the fact that flash is NOT installed by default. No more dodgy adds when i go to websites anymore. If i need flash i can use IE - which is very rare these days.

Also, its Print functionality is so much better than IE. And when you view HTML source its all colour coded! Its great!!

Also, right click a hyperlink and say 'open link in new tab' Fantastic. No more IE windows open all over the place.

Jim
  • Options
    jamesp26jamesp26 Posts: 3,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christoph wrote:
    I've tried Firefox / Mozilla / Avant and to be honest, until they render pages consistently and correctly I won't be hurrrying back to them. There's such an amzing inconsistency of font sizes & layouts on even v. popular sites - eg BBC ----SNIP

Erm - Firefox renders the BBC site perfectly. You'll need a better example than that i'm afraid!
  • Options
    ChristophChristoph Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes my point well then - it does for you, but not for me. Inconsistent.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christoph wrote:
    I've tried Firefox / Mozilla / Avant and to be honest, until they render pages consistently and correctly
    They do render the code correctly, it just happens that IE renders broken code in the way the designer thinks works.

As for font sizes, thats down to the W3C not specifying CSS rules too well - basically IE mapped MEDIUM onto the old size 4 , and Netscape onto the old size 3.

Both technically correct.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamesp26 wrote:
    Also, its Print functionality is so much better than IE. And when you view HTML source its all colour coded! Its great!!

Also, right click a hyperlink and say 'open link in new tab' Fantastic. No more IE windows open all over the place.
    No missing end of lines when printing, great ain't it?

And if you middle click a link (click the scroll wheel) it opens in a new tab as well :)