Options

wireless phone extension kit

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
Forum Member
Hi,

Has anybody used a wireless telephone extension kit to extend a phone line in their house for Sky +.
e.g.

maplins extension kit

The data transfer rate is fairly low (22 and 33kbps) but I would have thought it is sufficient for sky+.

My main concern is that I've also got broadband and don't want to disrupt my broadband service due to the slow transfer rate of the wireless extension.

If I plug a 3 way adapter into my existing wall socket, connect sky + to one, my other sky digi box to one and broadband filter/telephone to the other would I be able to use all 3 simultaneously or am I likely to encounter problems. Also, can a standard BT phone line handle this many different appliances/connections to it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I have exactly the same piece of kit so that I can run my additional digibox upstairs. I use four-way gangs downstairs and upstairs to hold the base and extension units. I have the base unit connected into my BT socket through a micro filter. All works without a problem.

It was a bit of a pig to setup but I think that is because of the security setup. Make sure the gang plugs are not surged protected otherwise it won't work. Also don't pull the slave out of the socket before you hang-up the phone when testing otherwise the line won't close properly to the basue unit. Finally, you can't send an ADSL feed over the extender.

Regards,

Paul
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks Paul,
    Finally, you can't send an ADSL feed over the extender.

Am I correct in thinking that if I plug the ADSL filter straight into the phone wall socket then a 3 gang phone splitter into the ADSL filter, my broadband will still work as the ADSL filter is directly into the wall socket. I'd then plug, sky boxes, telephone etc into the 3 gang phone splitter (i.e. the broadband connection would already have been filtered).

:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks,
    M.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    butterfm wrote:
    Thanks Paul,

Am I correct in thinking that if I plug the ADSL filter straight into the phone wall socket then a 3 gang phone splitter into the ADSL filter, my broadband will still work as the ADSL filter is directly into the wall socket. I'd then plug, sky boxes, telephone etc into the 3 gang phone splitter (i.e. the broadband connection would already have been filtered).

:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks,
    M.

Sounds about right.

I have also used the One4All equivalent and it seems to work fine for Sky digiboxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks Alan,

I thought that would be the case. I think the wireless extension is the way to go then. It'll keep the wife happy as there wont be any more cables running through the house.

Thanks,
    Matt.
  • Options
    deiwisedeiwise Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Am I right in saying there needs to be an electrical socket next to the main phone socket? (and the extension socket)

If so, that'll be a problem for me. Long before wireless extension things were around, I wired a box to my living room from the main socket. Could I run this maplin wireless extender off the extension in my living room?

Thanks

Will
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    FWIW I tried out one of the Maplins wireless extension kits. Didn't work. It relies on you being on the same ring main, and as my house has three (!) and the phone socket is by one that isn't the same as the power by my Sky+ box, nada, zilch, zero.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Andy,

From what I read the device needed to be on the same phase not the same ring main. I have the master on the downstairs socket ring and the other device on the upstairs socket ring main. Works a treat. In addition I believe from what I have read that the extender can work off any phone line not just the master.

I did have a few problems initially setting up the device so I plugged them into a 4 way gang adapter and got it working like that to start with. I believe the security encoding can cause problems, but once I got mine working it was a dream.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I went back to Maplins, explained how my house is wired and that's the explanation they gave me - along with my money back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    The only problem I had with the Maplins kit was that the installation procedure for the SKY+ box didn't work when using it. The installation guys used a temporary fixed lead to complete the installation and then I reverted back to the Maplins kit afterwards and everything works fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    just purchased a phone extention kit, doesnt work with a grundig or panasonic digibox.

thinking of getting sky+, does anyone know what make these boxes are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AndyLeslie wrote:
    FWIW I tried out one of the Maplins wireless extension kits. Didn't work. It relies on you being on the same ring main, and as my house has three (!) and the phone socket is by one that isn't the same as the power by my Sky+ box, nada, zilch, zero.

I see...well I've ordered one and will give it a go. The maplin extensions will be used on one floor, which I think is on one ring-main so...fingers crossed!

Will
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member
    neil1972 wrote:
    just purchased a phone extention kit, doesnt work with a grundig or panasonic digibox.

thinking of getting sky+, does anyone know what make these boxes are.

sky+160 is made only by Thomson

sky+ are either Amstrad or Pace (likely to be Amstrad)
  • Options
    tmarshalltmarshall Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    I use two "one for all" wireless phone extender for both Pace Digiboxes (Sky + and normal Digibox). At the time they were quite expensive, they say you can use any number of slave sockets on a sinlge master - but they don't sell slave units without a master. Works fine as long as you follow the instructions on setting up the security. If you don't - you think it is working until you get letters from Sky telling you you ain't connected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tmarshall wrote:
    I use two "one for all" wireless phone extender for both Pace Digiboxes (Sky + and normal Digibox). At the time they were quite expensive, they say you can use any number of slave sockets on a sinlge master - but they don't sell slave units without a master. Works fine as long as you follow the instructions on setting up the security. If you don't - you think it is working until you get letters from Sky telling you you ain't connected.

Never had a letter. I kept to my agreement, it was connected for a year and some, so they can't quibble. Saved some money on the link, too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I got the WPE the day before my Sky+ install last month. Base unit is plugged into an upstairs phone extension. Sky box and other WPE unit are in my new downstairs extension. The mains in that room actually come off the downstairs lighting circuit. Anyway everything works just fine!

Sky installer said he was concerned at the possible size of the phone run he was looking at doing (main phone socket is at the front door - TV about 60 foot away), until i revealed the WPE. He said he had recommended them to his boss as a standard Sky installation options as they can get them for less that £15!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if those wireless phone extenders will work with an engineer installed broadband line? ie.. I don't use filters..
    The extension problem is the only thing stopping me getting sky+ and multiroom. Don't fancy having an extension cable going through 3 rooms.

Cheers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rob; I have 2 of these in a BT-engineer-installed DSL setup and they work fine. 1 is plugged into the phone line of the Broadband socket, and the other into another upstairs. Works great.

Will
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My digibox has been unplugged from the phone for nearly two years and I havent recieved a letter or anything.

Im having Sky+ installed next week so I suppose ill have to lay an extension under the carpet then. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ric1231: PLUG IT IN NOW! I have Sky+ and a Sky box in another room and was being charged £80+/month as my boxes weren't sending back the signals. After throwing all my toys out of the Sky pram I managed to get them to refund the past 2 months, claiming BT faults - just watch out. Those sneeky bastards at $ky never sent me a letter, despite claiming they'd sent 4...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    deiwise.. cheers for that! just what I wanted to hear :)